Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Day trip to Bath - very much recommended.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Christ I wish I could rename this thread:-

'Meet up before the West Ham game - Is central Bath ok for everybody?'

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Nobody has mentioned the ghost tour yet (if they still do it) if you stay the night or leave late it is well worth doing.
Edit, yes they do. Ghost walks of Bath, tour of the ghostly happenings of Georgian Bath.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tis the wife's favourite Big Day Out, (it is a lot nearer for us, than you Brighton-based folk). There's not really much to DO tbh, so I'm surprised that kids would be that on board. But yes, if you enjoy strolling about, looking at pretty buildings and pretty people, or sitting in the sun drinking coffee or beer, then it is a lovely spot.

(Of course we have Winchester on our doorstep, where we can do all those same things every Sunday morning!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As we're not going to let this thread fade away, I have one other recommendation even though everybody reading this thread is doing so while living in Bath.

As time was ticking by I was left thinking 'oh well I guess it'll be a McDonald's tea before getting back on the train'.

Thankfully on our way back down I saw and we went into Schwartz Bros burgers.

Absolute filth. :smile:

When we settled down to eat I thought I'd need a pelican bib.
I'm amazed I didn't wear most of it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Tis the wife's favourite Big Day Out, (it is a lot nearer for us, than you Brighton-based folk). There's not really much to DO tbh, so I'm surprised that kids would be that on board. But yes, if you enjoy strolling about, looking at pretty buildings and pretty people, or sitting in the sun drinking coffee or beer, then it is a lovely spot.

(Of course we have Winchester on our doorstep, where we can do all those same things every Sunday morning!)

Brighton is a mere 3 miles further from you than Bath, but a quicker drive according to Google Maps.

Google Maps clearly has a lot to learn about the utter shitfest that is the A27 it seems.

I've just noticed we're away to Bristol Rovers in the League Cup and it coincides with the boy being away on a Cub camp for a week, which strikes me as a good opportunity to spend a few days in and around Bristol and Bath. I've not been back for at least a year or two.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Have spent a lot of time there in recent years.

A few tips - if you drive parking at the cricket club is cheap and fairly central.

If you visit the Royal Crescent. go in the Royal Crescent Hotel and out the back there is a nice garden where you can get tea and cake at a very reasonable price. It's like a tardis, looks tiny but is very big once inside.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'd never been before but can thoroughly recommend Bath as a day trip by train.
Booking a week in advance with a F & F Railcard got the tickets down to just £43

The Stats have just started the return journey, having arrived at 11:30.

Lovely city, very clean and picturesque, even before taking in very good tours around the Roman baths and Abbey as well as going up to the Royal Crescent.

I'm very pleased to have had a change of mind and headed west instead of up to that there London town.

Was seriously considering this before the holidays but didn't do it as I thought the time there and back on the train might make it not worth while for a day but may reconsider now. Have wanted to go there for a long time now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Was seriously considering this before the holidays but didn't do it as I thought the time there and back on the train might make it not worth while for a day but may reconsider now. Have wanted to go there for a long time now.
Ha you're now the odd one out here on NSC - you Bathophobe

From here in the better half of Sussex we had (give or take) an even split to the day.
3 hours to, 6 hours there, 3 hours back.

Train tickets for me and the kids were originally £84, but using Trainline with a Family and Friends pass the price came down to £43.

We even had reserve seating on the way out.

All of Bath is in front of you the moment you walk out of the station, so no time lost there.

The Roman Spa and Abbey are 5 minutes walk through the shops.
Royal Crescent about 10 -15 minutes walk away at t'other end of the town.

Last edited:

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
We've been to Bath a few times for Mrs JCL to go shopping at Duo Boots. It's probably my favourite UK city for a weekend break.

Not one for the kids, but a good way to see most of the centre and learn about Bath's architecture and history is to do one of the free walking tours run by the mayor's office.

Jan 30, 2008
Lots of middle class white people, not unexpected with the prices down there, all good rugger types .went down for the day done a park and ride , decent day out
regards
DR

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Brighton is a mere 3 miles further from you than Bath, but a quicker drive according to Google Maps.

Google Maps clearly has a lot to learn about the utter shitfest that is the A27 it seems.

I'd expect to do Brighton a fair bit quicker tbh. Unusual for that drive down to take more than 1.5 hours, and Bath in anything under 2 is a result. The A36 isn't the greatest road in the world, either.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just found out we are going to Bath over the weekend to meet up with the wife's sister for her birthday, weather permitting she is going on a balloon ride over Bath on Saturday.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Ha yes!

What was the change? From Hatchetts? Is it a tourist pub now (and did I fall for that...)?

I think this, the opening lines from a review of the Raven, answers both of your questions...

Formerly a sticky-carpeted hangout for the city’s punks and goths, this buzzy old boozer is now one of central Bath’s must-visit alehouses and a popular pit stop for shoppers and tourists.

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Lived in Bath for over 30 years. Great place to live. All too easy to take it for granted. If you get tired of Bath drive round the east side of Bristol, you'll soon realise how lucky you are. Bit full of egg chasers, but Bath City (Twerton Park) have started this season well. Check out The Old Green Tree if you are in the city centre, The Star in The Paragon for an unspoilt boozer, or The Ram in Widcombe if you are staying at TravelLodge Waterside. Eating places come and go, but if you are up near the Royal Crescent, or The Circus "Woods" is worth a visit.

If you are driving, watch out for bus "gates" in the city centre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here