Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Day trip to Bath - very much recommended.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Little Tip For Anyone Driving To Bath

Park at the Waterside Travel Lodge It's just behind Bath Spa Station

£15 all day but £6 for 24 hours if you use the Travel Lodge discount code which they handily stuck on the payment machines!

Very handy that ..bang next to the canal as well

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It's a lovely place but can be well dodgy on a Friday/Saturday night.

Salisbury, just the one change at Southampton Central.
I went to school in Bath, so know the city well. I always went by train, but was NEVER able to do so without changing at Fratton. From there it was direct though; did your train stop at tiddly Dilton Marsh? In the 1970s it was just a wooden platform long enough for one carriage.
I'll bet you were just a little wary of the folks who got on at Salisbury....

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went to school in Bath in the 1970s, so know the city well. I always went by train, but was NEVER able to do so without changing at Fratton. From there it was direct though; did your train stop at the tiny Dilton Marsh Station? In the 1970s it was just a wooden platform long enough for one carriage.
I'll bet you were just a little wary of the folks who got on at Salisbury....

Yeah Fratton on the way out.

Dilton Marsh is a Geoff Marshall least used stations video on YouTube.
I'm sad enough to have a tiny pang of excitement about going through a station where Geoff once sat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’m going with the kids the week after next. Any tips on Bath with kids most welcome.
I'm sure there is plenty of other stuff, but as said our day today was great.

Roman Baths (book online, cheaper and no queuing).
We walked up to the Royal Crescent - nice place for a picnic.

Then we went on the Tower Tour at the Abbey, a little pricey for what it was but it was a good little tour, the guides were great and obviously a cracking view from the top.

Walk around the town, plenty of street 'theatre' etc job done.

Oh it's all very compact so don't bother with a bus tour unless a steady but steep walk up hill is an issue.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’m going with the kids the week after next. Any tips on Bath with kids most welcome.

Skyline walk is spot on, if you can be arsed

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Soap and wash behind your ears.

I visit Bath regularly for business, always shocked at the amount of people living on the streets.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Soap and wash behind your ears.

I visit Bath regularly for business, always shocked at the amount of people living on the streets.

Yep very comparable with Brighton.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Mini golf which is much better than normal crazy golf, this is at Royal Victoria Park, very near to Royal Crescent.
Google Victoria Falls Golf or Excel Tennis Bath ( it's next to the tennis courts)
I've been there 3 times now, first couple of times without kids and it's great fun.

Open top bus tour around the City is another option.

I've stayed in Bath twice with my wife but only called into the city with one of my lads, this was on the way back from Bristol, he was desperate to play mini golf :) he wasn't disappointed.
Not sure what else to recommend for kids, Bristol has more for youngsters.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

Went to this nice pub in Bath, well it would be better with a different name. :ffsparr:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I used to go to the Place occasionally when I lived there, as my wife worked just across the street. Really enjoyed living in Bath, but housing was not cheap then (20 years ago) and I bet it is pricey these days. I echo what was said about it being a bit rough on weekend nights, but only if you went in the wrong place or wandered around in a Gloucester top.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Stayed in The Royal Crescent hotel a few years back. John Cleese was living there at the time between marriage breakdowns.

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill
Nice city, been twice in the last few years. Would recommend staying at Bailbrook House, just outside the city. Often offers to be had online and the rooms in the main mansion house are nice.

From there, stroll down to Bathampton Mill and take the boat into the city centre. More chilled way of doing things :)

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Took a day trip 30 years ago (with Liz in the West)...we were living in south London at the time. On the way back we vowed to move to Bath! It took nearly a year to change jobs and sell the flat, but it was a great decision. After 6 months living in the city centre we moved to a village about 10 miles south of Bath. Not looked back since. OK, it’s a long-ish drive to the Amex, but Bath is a great city, and we can be there in 15 mins outside of rush hour. Bath is surrounded by beautiful countryside, especially to the south, and of course the city itself is an architectural gem. I love Sussex, but Bath is not a bad alternative!
The key downside, as one or two others have mentioned, is TOURISTS. The only advice I can give here is (a) don’t go in the summer; (b) do your best to get here early. Also, if you can avoid a Saturday it is MUCH more pleasant.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
There is a tiny cracking pub round the corner from the theatre that's famous for its pies - the Blackbird, Rook, Magpie, something like that? I like those little things in foreign towns that you don't necessarily get anywhere else.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I used to spend a fair amount of time there. I had my foot broken by angry chavs and was threatened with a gun in the public bogs but I still like Bath. The Bell is a good place to get a pint.

Peteinblack

NSC Patreon
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I love living in Bath, moved here for work in the 1990s. Met Mrs Peteinblack here (proposed to her in the ,er, Crystal Palace pub, referred to above), and we would only ever leave to move back to Brighton - wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the UK.

Great pubs (often backstreet ones the tourists don't see, like Brighton), great restaurants, Komedia, Royal Theatre, independent cinema (part of the same 'chain' as the Duke of York), beautiful countryside and Olde England villages nearby.

Used to be too many snooty spinsters, blue-rinses and retired colonels, but as they have passed away, it has become a young-at-heart city with creative industries and 'creative types'. Quite a few former rock stars live nearby - Peter Gabriel, Hugh Cornwell (ex-Stranglers), Midge Ure.

The downside is:

a) tourists in the summer, particularly large groups of loud, pavement-blocking, rich elderly Americans, and teenage foreign-language students who seem to enjoy standing in shop doorways.

b) Students - 2 universities which have massively expanded in recent years, and the consequent impact on housing; parts of Bath have become student ghettoes, with buy-to-let landlords raking it in. Neither the students nor the landlords care about the local community. Hence locals and young families priced-out. They need to be curbed (students and greedy landlords).

c) Gulls. Every summer, 1000s of the noisy, screaming, aggressive, *****s invade. They need to be culled.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
There is a tiny cracking pub round the corner from the theatre that's famous for its pies - the Blackbird, Rook, Magpie, something like that? I like those little things in foreign towns that you don't necessarily get anywhere else.

The Raven.

It used to be Hatchetts. Now that was a proper pub. Many still hurt because of the change��

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here