Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Day trip to Bath - very much recommended.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd never been before but can thoroughly recommend Bath as a day trip by train.
Booking a week in advance with a F & F Railcard got the tickets down to just £43

The Stats have just started the return journey, having arrived at 11:30.

Lovely city, very clean and picturesque, even before taking in very good tours around the Roman baths and Abbey as well as going up to the Royal Crescent.

I'm very pleased to have had a change of mind and headed west instead of up to that there London town.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You are a Bath virgin ...o my!

yeah it is a lovely place to visit ..been many times..normally stay in the waterside Travelodge for a night if they have offers on

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Booking a week in advance with a F & F Railcard got the tickets down to just £43

Lovely city, very clean and picturesque, even before taking in very good tours around the Roman baths and Abbey as well as going up to the Royal Crescent.

I'm very pleased to have had a change of mind and headed west instead of up to that there London town.

Been many times as my aunt lives in Bristol, lovely city indeed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Salisbury, just the one change at Southampton Central.

It is possible to go direct (or at least it used to be) on a First Great Western train that runs direct from Brighton to Cardiff, stopping at the major stations along the coast.

Not sure you could use it in both directions for a day trip, but it might be possible to take it in one direction.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Hate cities..Bath being an exception. Brilliant place. Cathedral,Roman Baths and the best Steak house I`ve ever been to "The Hudson". There is a train that goes direct from Brighton, I`ve always picked it up at Shoreham off peak. Train 1/2 full or less so a pleasurable experience for approx 3 hours.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

NO! - you have got this all wrong. Poor effort.

Start thread - Any recommendations where to watch the game in Bath?

If you get any positive responses, you then respond, thanks but I was only there for the day. Nice place for a day trip BTW.
If you don't get any positive responses, you then respond, not a problem, I only went for a day trip. Nice place to visit BTW.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is possible to go direct (or at least it used to be) on a First Great Western train that runs direct from Brighton to Cardiff, stopping at the major stations along the coast.

Not sure you could use it in both directions for a day trip, but it might be possible to take it in one direction.

The connection was only 5 mins going out, although it's a 20 minute wait coming back.

Seemingly I'm a bit of an outlier thicko for not broadening our train travel horizons sooner.
But if anyone is twiddling their thumbs, with the kids, at the end of these holidays I think you'll be hard pressed to better our day, today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
NO! - you have got this all wrong. Poor effort.

Start thread - Any recommendations where to watch the game in Bath?

If you get any positive responses, you then respond, thanks but I was only there for the day. Nice place for a day trip BTW.
If you don't get any positive responses, you then respond, not a problem, I only went for a day trip. Nice place to visit BTW.

I only changed our plans (from the science museum) because Richard Herring was trying to start a war between Wookey Hole and Cheddar Gorge!!!

Naturally a train doesn't get you even close to either destination but Bath loomed large so I thought what the hell and am now jolly pleased I did.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Lovely destination.
Took Mrs AR there for her 40th, staying in the Royal Crescent hotel for two nights.
Taking in afternoon tea at the Pump Rooms, also I can recommend a visit to thermaebathspa, for a relaxing day :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So much for me sharing a nice destination, that is nearer than appears, when traveling by train, with the masses of Sussex.

It would appear I'm the only fecker in Sussex that doesn't spend every waking hour in Bath. :lolol:

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Having lived there for several years I was very glad to get out. I could have taken a swing at the tourists by the end (not all from Sussex). Bristol is a far better city to visit (I work there). Bath is for older tourists and foreign schoolkids with backpacks.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So much for me sharing a nice destination, that is nearer than appears, when traveling by train, with the masses of Sussex.

It would appear I'm the only fecker in Sussex that doesn't spend every waking hour in Bath. :lolol:

Next time you go, I recommend this place, run by a lovely lady called Penny :)

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

It still runs twice a day, roughly 0900 and 1700 off of Brighton but only as far as Bristol these days. It used to go through to Cardiff on a Sunday until recently, not sure if it still does or not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having lived there for several years I was very glad to get out. I could have taken a swing at the tourists by the end (not all from Sussex). Bristol is a far better city to visit (I work there). Bath is for older tourists and foreign schoolkids with backpacks.

I can see how that would be an issue.
Very much like when my family moved to Reading in the late 1970's, during the race riots...

... actually come to think about it, nothing like that at all.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Little Tip For Anyone Driving To Bath

Park at the Waterside Travel Lodge It's just behind Bath Spa Station

£15 all day but £6 for 24 hours if you use the Travel Lodge discount code which they handily stuck on the payment machines!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here