Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What to do when you bump into a Palace fan miles from his home.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I remember walking into my halls of residence on my first day at uni, wondering who my new living companions would be and discovering that the person next door to me was a Palace fan.

Out of eight of us on the top floor, four came from Sussex and I was the only Brighton fan there. Something went wrong somewhere ...

Could've had it worse, I became friends with Stephen Browett’s son at uni by coincidence. Football was a subject we didn’t really discuss. It was clear he loved the Palace, and he was NOT fond of the Albion, especially when he became uncomfortably quiet when I told him who I supported...

For the record though, he’s a really nice guy and we always had great conversations (outside of football!)

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I've just met,and had to shake hands with, one at a wake for a client of mine. I explained that supporting Palace was a disease, drank my pint of Shere Drop and left having passing on my condolances to the widow. Made my beer go flat it did!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Did you let him use the toilet? ??? :eek: :shit:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember walking into my halls of residence on my first day at uni, wondering who my new living companions would be and discovering that the person next door to me was a Palace fan.

Out of eight of us on the top floor, four came from Sussex and I was the only Brighton fan there. Something went wrong somewhere ...

If you'd worked harder on your A Levels you wouldn't have had to go to Croydon Polytechnic :shrug:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Like all teams, most Palace fans I've met are alright.

It's just the complete morons who come on here (and those who continuously write utter tripe on their own forums), plus the hoodie chavs who completely EMBARRASS themselves.

Last year in Cuba I was walking down to the bar to get updates from the Palace Brighton game on my phone. Walking towards me (yeah he was going the wrong way) was a bloke in a Palace shirt. I said "I don't ****ing believe it..." and he said "Oh, are you Palace?". [emoji23]

We ended having a right laugh while following the game, and when we bumped into each other for the rest of the holiday. Just another decent football fan who got the rivalry but also thought his Chairman was a ****. So a non deluded one....

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Many years ago on a package holiday first day at the pool I put my Brighton towel out down at the other end this chap puts his Palace towel out we got in the pool and swam towards each other where he said "look I'm on holiday I don't want any trouble right"

Saying nothing I gave a knowing nod and turned to swim back to the Brighton end of the pool mighty relieved he had spoken first as if he had not I was about to utter the same sentence

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Like all teams, most Palace fans I've met are alright.

It's just the complete morons who come on here (and those who continuously write utter tripe on their own forums), plus the hoodie chavs who completely EMBARRASS themselves.

Last year in Cuba I was walking down to the bar to get updates from the Palace Brighton game on my phone. Walking towards me (yeah he was going the wrong way) was a bloke in a Palace shirt. I said "I don't ****ing believe it..." and he said "Oh, are you Palace?". [emoji23]

We ended having a right laugh while following the game, and when we bumped into each other for the rest of the holiday. Just another decent football fan who got the rivalry but also thought his Chairman was a ****. So a non deluded one....

This :thumbsup:
I have worked with two Palace fans (one now retired), both decent chaps who are just normal when talking Albion and Palace, none of the usual bollox that's spouted on here from the resident trolls.
The retired chap has been Palace for over 60 years and has always complimented our club, only until he play us, which is understandable.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Quite a few based in NYC, like most other sides. They are often in the bar when we are when both sides are playing on TV at the same time - got to know the regulars and they are decent enough, different when playing each other of course which is what you'd expect. Most folk are just there for a beer and some banter about good old Blighty.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
View attachment 114338 Mind you he doesn't look thrilled at going to the other side of the world and bumping into an expat Seagull (me on the right) :lol:

Take him to the local hospital for health checks and endeavour to reunite him with his family as he is obviously mad.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

pretty much par for the course. Brighton in particular is full of plastics.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
pretty much par for the course. Brighton in particular is full of plastics.

Two of them didn't support anyone as they weren't football fans - one was on the Peace Studies course, so I'd have expected nothing else. But the one who actually did come from Brighton supported Chelsea ... which backs up what you said,

As it happens, I also played football with a Palace fan who used to give me a lift back to Croydon at the end of term - that saved a few bob on train fare.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I was in Bournemouth today (well, Canford Cliffs) and got talking to the guy at the property about football...

He immediately said he was Palace, so I bombarded him with "ooh, how do you feel about your star player wanting away - then staying?" "was selling Wan-Bissaka the right thing to do if you're a progressive club?" - "how is the ground redevelopment going?" - "is it true they found a dead rat in the payers canteen?" - "does the chairman value the opinions of a group of hoodies more than the 'normal' fans?"....

He was so peppered with questions, and stuttering out garbled answers it never dawned on him to ask who I supported.

I didn't tell him. :lolol:

All good fun (on my part), but I must admit he was a nice enough fella.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here