blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Murray might have one last decent season in his ageing legs
Connolly might get the pace of the Premier League straight away
Maupay might make the transition from the Championship
They might all stay fit all season.

If all 4 the above happen, we’ll be alright. If one goes wrong it will be touch and go. If more than one do, we’re done for.

That said I'm still not keen on the idea on Bony. We've made our bed now

I keep seeing this "three strikers for one position" line - but one of them is 51, one of them has only ever played in the Championship, and one of them is still in nappies. That is not an adequate Premier League strikeforce, that is bare bones stuff. I say again, in the second half when Murray is blowing out of his arse and its not happening for Maupay, we are now looking at our bench urgently relying on a teenager to step up to the plate, and/or goals from other areas.

All of a sudden I think we are looking woefully short, and thats IF everyone stays fit.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Even if I agreed with you that we are desperate (we're not) Bony wouldn't be the answer.

And . . . . your assessment of our task force is laughable.
1).Murray is not 51.
2).Maupay has only played in the Championship - so what? Many PL strikers had only played in the Championship (or lower level) before starting to play in the PL - it's quite common - Vardy, Barnes, Murray, Zaha, Pukki (although he did have a not very successful spell in the MTL). Loads going back through the years - Wright and Sheringham for example.
3).And finally, most 19 year olds aren't still in nappies (and Connolly isn't one of them) and there are plenty of examples of successful teenage strikers in the PL. Ever heard of 'If they're good enough, they're old enough'?

And you think bringing in somebody who was good five or six years ago, and that our manager shipped out last time they came together, would be a positive addition?

You say "and finally" like you are at the end of a long list of strikers. That's now a sum total of 3 - all with question marks against them. They may or may not be good enough but honestly, would you not have been happier with at least one more back up? I have to trust the people in charge but it seems utter madness to me - it's almost like they are trolling the fans, the one season we have a decent selection up front and they bin off 2 at the last minute!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Even if I agreed with you that we are desperate (we're not) Bony wouldn't be the answer.

And . . . . your assessment of our task force is laughable.
1).Murray is not 51.
2).Maupay has only played in the Championship - so what? Many PL strikers had only played in the Championship (or lower level) before starting to play in the PL - it's quite common - Vardy, Barnes, Murray, Zaha, Pukki (although he did have a not very successful spell in the MTL). Loads going back through the years - Wright and Sheringham for example.
3).And finally, most 19 year olds aren't still in nappies (and Connolly isn't one of them) and there are plenty of examples of successful teenage strikers in the PL. Ever heard of 'If they're good enough, they're old enough'?

And you think bringing in somebody who was good five or six years ago, and that our manager shipped out last time they came together, would be a positive addition?

A day or so ago no, I wasn't thinking it would be a positive addition at all. In fact further back from that, I thought the notion of Bony playing PL football again was ridiculous - but looking at what we have now left ourselves with, I've had to revise that view and try to look at what the positives would be - because frankly, where we are now, its better than nothing.

You are placing a lot of faith on (a) an ever-slower, older Murray remaining fit and still able to contribute (b) a Championship striker being one of those ones who comes up and flourishes in the PL, and (c) an untried kid turning out to be something VERY special. Thats a lot of fingers you're crossing, and I sure as heck hope you're bang on about it, because in terms of PROVEN quality at this level, we've got precious little thats going to worry many teams in this league. Our bench is going to look pretty threadbare isn't it ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I really don't want to talk Connolly's prospects down. In fact I'm not. But he's barely kicked a ball at senior level and didn't make our 18 for the first three league games.

It's a massive ask expecting him to be our last roll of the dice from the bench, which is what it looks like he will be.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You say "and finally" like you are at the end of a long list of strikers. !

No - 'and finally' is dealing with the third on the list.

Agree the timing is a bit odd, but we are where we are. We appear to be going to play with a flexible front three now anyway, rather than one up front. Anyway, quite happy to let you do the worrying for me!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I like Connolly, a lot. I’ve seen him live several times, his striker’s anticipation, instinct, movement and positioning are first rate. I was a centre forward myself back in the day, and when I watch live I often follow striker’s movement rather than watch the ball the whole time. He has got it, I’ve no doubt at all, honestly I think he’s been held back long enough.

The other night against Ravers away, he made dozens of runs that our slow thinking midfield hardly ever saw, channel runs, coming short to collect backs to goal, darting beyond the shoulder of the last man, and pulling to near or far posts at the right time. He is soooo available, a decent regular midfield/wings will surely find him. I have no nervousness whatsoever in bringing him right into the big time now, and I trust that is what GP and DA have seen plenty of too.

Bon chance Aaron.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I like Connolly, a lot. I’ve seen him live several times, his striker’s anticipation, instinct, movement and positioning are first rate. I was a centre forward myself back in the day, and when I watch live I often follow striker’s movement rather than watch the ball the whole time. He has got it, I’ve no doubt at all, honestly I think he’s been held back long enough.

The other night against Ravers away, he made dozens of runs that our slow thinking midfield hardly ever saw, channel runs, coming short to collect backs to goal, darting beyond the shoulder of the last man, and pulling to near or far posts at the right time. He is soooo available, a decent regular midfield/wings will surely find him. I have no nervousness whatsoever in bringing him right into the big time now, and I trust that is what GP and DA have seen plenty of too.

Bon chance Aaron.

This.Aaron always looks hungry for the ball from first to last,and seems very fit.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton

Bon chance Aaron.

He may get a call up to the Republic full squad now he is the plans for a Premiership place which will help his confidence.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Most memorable for me were his goals away to the Dons in the cup last year. They tried to man mark him, they couldn’t, they tried to rough him up, they couldn’t, they tried to double team, they tried double zoning. But he found space all game, and his finishing, getting in front of his man for slide tap ins was brilliant. Can’t wait to see him doing this on the big stage.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's exactly where I am too.

I have no problem binning off Locadia (not up to it) and Andone (disruptive wanker) but the timing is just bizarre. They've both chipped in with vital goals and we don't have much firepower left.

Indeed. Like you, I had no problem with Locadia being binned as he's never really looked the part. Andone though - disruptive or not, I think we had something there. Taking the bone-headed red card out of the equation, he'd started this season looking sharp, mobile and hungry. I just do not buy this "he's moved on because he wanted to play regularly" line - he'd have got LOADS of gametime at BHA this season. He'd already forced his way into the starting lineup in what turned out to be his final game for us.

We've been sold a notion that GP is some kind of horse-whisperer, who really understands players and knows what makes them tick. Now I know none of us know exactly what went on for this sudden 180-degree turn on Andone's involvement at the club, but was it really ALREADY considered that far beyond the zen-powers of Potter to get a tune out of him ? Particularly as in striking terms its now left us up a very whiffy creak, with only a rolled up copy of the Radio Times as a paddle.

Baffling.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He may get a call up to the Republic full squad now he is the plans for a Premiership place which will help his confidence.

Although the Republic senior team is struggling for strikers, according to some elsewhere on NSC, Connolly is only fourth or fifth choice for the Irish U23s. So maybe not .. . .

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
No - 'and finally' is dealing with the third on the list.

Agree the timing is a bit odd, but we are where we are. We appear to be going to play with a flexible front three now anyway, rather than one up front. Anyway, quite happy to let you do the worrying for me!

Ha ha. Fair enough - I'll take on that burden for anyone who wants me to!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Has he SINGED yet?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
did not know he had a record contract !

Well with LOCARDIA gone, we needed someone with musical talent to fill the WHOLE...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

I mentioned him to Terry Connor about 6 months ago. He said thanks, but only wished he had a pound for every player someone recommended.

I left it at that, just adding that Connolly is the new Wayne Rooney and I would remind him of our conversation in a couple of years time.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Does Wilfred Bony know the PL escape routes off the M25, in case his head gets turned by an offer from Croydon ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here