Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where about dare you in Mercia @murciagull ?
    We’re in Mazarrón
    Mula about 45 minutes inland from Mazarron, have worked on a market on Camposol every Thursday but am giving that up soon.
    Life is like a bowl of AllBran You wake uo every morning and it's there.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

5 Not allowed!
      My dream after watching Homes in The Sun is to win enough on the lottery to buy a place in Spain and fly home every other Friday to watch the games at The Amex, see the family then fly back on Monday. We can all dream.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by murciagull View Post
      Hi Moved to Spain 15 years ago to a four bed end of terrace house in a small town in the hills in Murcia. Electricity works out about 40 euros per month (dont have air con but ceiling fans in 4 rooms),water rates inc sewage about 25 euros per month, rates 135 euros per YEAR!. Shopping inc a couple of bottles of wine about 80 euros a week. heating and hot water are by gas bottles 13 euros each probably get through 15 a year. Eating out we pay about 10 euros a head for a lunch time menu (3 courses, bottle of wine, coffee)Expect to pay more weekends and evenings. Hope this helps, if you are relying on a pension then the rate of exchange can make a big difference. If there is a no deal Brexit and the rules regarding health cover change then you may find a lot of Brits moving back to the UK and there could be some real bargains to be had on house purchases. If you need any more info PM me.
      15 gas bottles a year! We use about 6.
      Jacob Schilt(pic:SebDaly) Nottseagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      My dream after watching Homes in The Sun is to win enough on the lottery to buy a place in Spain and fly home every other Friday to watch the games at The Amex, see the family then fly back on Monday. We can all dream.
      What, no away games??

0 Not allowed!
      That’s where we are....... on camposol
      "All you touch & all you see, is all your life will ever be"

Pink Floyd

1 Not allowed!
      Beer is cheaper than water

That's all you need to know
      18th April 1981 Cyrstal Palace 0 Brighton 3 (Gregory2,Smith1)

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
      The weakness of the pound and its future prospects are going to be your big issue.

For those coming in from other € countries Spain is really good value and prices/services have been very stable since I bought about 6 years ago.

I wouldn't even think about buying until the dust has settled on Brexit and you can see a) what the housing market is up to and b) how the currency is holding up

Oh and if you do decide to go for it make sure you go for visits in Jan/Feb and see if the climate is to your liking ... we did and it's why we ended up down in the Canaries
      Mrs W E and myself are considering Gran Canaria. She knows she can get work, but what is employment like for an older brit? I don't want to be selling boat rides or working in catering. Not looking for a high salary, just to supplement pensions.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      If you stay away from the coast and touristy areas property and rental prices are far cheaper, i moved from Alicante to a far superior property near Albox in the Almeria region. I am renting because that suits my circumstances but the price i am paying is two thirds of what i paid on the coast for a bigger property.

As others have said, i would rent before you buy, your first year here still feels like a holiday, once things settle down and things become more routine you may find that things aren't as you first expected or maybe just that another area you didn't previously know about is more suitable.

Dont be put off by moving away from the coast due to language barriers, many many ex-pats have made the same move, the area i am in, i expected to be very Spanish and actually expected to struggle despite speaking a little Spanish (not nearly enough) but my first day here, i sat down at a pub and the first person to walk past smiled and said "alright mate?". There is actually quite a lot of Brits around here and much more of a community feel than i ever felt on the coast, that's not to say there isn't a community feel there, there definitely is, it's just maybe a bit more togetherness here.

As for cost of living, mine is comparible with others, basically almost everything is cheaper, even allowing for the falling pound, if you smoke and drink, a pint will normally cost between €2 to €2.30, a bottle of Mahou or Alhambra is about €1.30. A pack of cigs is normally anywhere between €4 and €5 depending on what you smoke, tobacco is about €8.50 for 50g. So less than half of UK prices even at £1 = €1.

Spain isn't for everyone, so make sure it's right for you before you buy, as selling seems to take forever in many cases, but most people you meet are very happy to have moved here and wouldn't move back, as i said, not everyone but most, i certainly have no intention of going back at this time.
      In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Worthing exile View Post
      Mrs W E and myself are considering Gran Canaria. She knows she can get work, but what is employment like for an older brit? I don't want to be selling boat rides or working in catering. Not looking for a high salary, just to supplement pensions.
      Can't help there I'm afraid. I'm in Tenerife and don't work. Given the nature of the islands I'd expect pretty well anything is going to be casual, tourism related. Might be admin type work in car rental, estate agents, hotel back office, that sort of thing, but will require a bit of leg work

Good luck
      Grey bearded old man Cadiz Seagull's Avatar
      Between Bexhill and Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by AmexRuislip View Post
      Talk to @Cadiz Seagull
      Depends very much where you are. If you want the real Spain, 97% Spanish, very traditional, very friendly, very beautiful and peaceful then forget the Costas.

Extremadura ticks all those boxes.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/sp...t-extremadura/

Cost of living considerably cheaper than UK . Decent size house equivalent of UK Council Tax (IBI) about 15-20 euros per MONTH, as an example

I sell property there so if you need more info just shout. http://www.extremacasa.com/general/mainpage.php See video on first page

But if you are looking for English pubs and nightclubs then you're looking in the wrong place
      If history teaches us anything, it is that history teaches us nothing