Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cost of living in Spain

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Mrs H & I are thinking of getting a place in Spain to get a bit of better weather in the winter and holidays etc so we are researching the costs of owning somewhere.
I know there's a few ex-pats and holiday-home owners on here so was wondering if you could tell me what it costs to own/run a place (utilities/local taxes/maintenance etc) ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mrs H & I are thinking of getting a place in Spain to get a bit of better weather in the winter and holidays etc so we are researching the costs of owning somewhere.
I know there's a few ex-pats and holiday-home owners on here so was wondering if you could tell me what it costs to own/run a place (utilities/local taxes/maintenance etc) ?

You can only live in Spain if you voted for Brexit.

"If only there was some way of knowing voting to leave the EU would make it harder to live for 6 months in the EU" :facepalm:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

The weakness of the pound and its future prospects are going to be your big issue.

For those coming in from other € countries Spain is really good value and prices/services have been very stable since I bought about 6 years ago.

I wouldn't even think about buying until the dust has settled on Brexit and you can see a) what the housing market is up to and b) how the currency is holding up

Oh and if you do decide to go for it make sure you go for visits in Jan/Feb and see if the climate is to your liking ... we did and it's why we ended up down in the Canaries

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Sorry but isn't that about as meaningless as asking what the cost of living is in England?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Surely you'd want to see what happens with Brexit first?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

:whistle:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Talk to [MENTION=255]Cadiz Seagull[/MENTION]

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The weakness of the pound and its future prospects are going to be your big issue.

For those coming in from other € countries Spain is really good value and prices/services have been very stable since I bought about 6 years ago.

I wouldn't even think about buying until the dust has settled on Brexit and you can see a) what the housing market is up to and b) how the currency is holding up

Oh and if you do decide to go for it make sure you go for visits in Jan/Feb and see if the climate is to your liking ... we did and it's why we ended up down in the Canaries

We're planning a trip to Murcia in January to have a look at what a few areas are like off-season.
We'd not do anything until Brexit is sorted (however it pans out) and exchange rates have stabilised and certainly not before 2021.

Sorry but isn't that about as meaningless as asking what the cost of living is in England?

No. I know what it costs for council tax, electricity, broadband etc here but no idea what it costs in Spain

scooter1

How soon is now?

I’ve just sold my place in Spain after years on the market. The weak pound is a problem, and could be for the foreseeable...
In Andalucía council tax was around €200 a year and utilities costs are comparable, but pay all bills by direct debit if you’re not planning to be there for periods of time as there are fines and charges if you fail to keep council tax up to date.
Whilst hospital care is ok, you will be expected to get yourself there or to a medical centre if you need care. Ambulances are few and far between outside the cities.
Every bodies circumstances are different, but I’d say that unless you’re planning to spend at least half the year there it’s not worth it. Long term rentals are available at a fraction of the cost of a holiday rental, and this keeps your capital in your pocket. Try a couple of 3 month rentals to see if the lifestyle is suitable across the differing seasons

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Hi Moved to Spain 15 years ago to a four bed end of terrace house in a small town in the hills in Murcia. Electricity works out about 40 euros per month (dont have air con but ceiling fans in 4 rooms),water rates inc sewage about 25 euros per month, rates 135 euros per YEAR!. Shopping inc a couple of bottles of wine about 80 euros a week. heating and hot water are by gas bottles 13 euros each probably get through 15 a year. Eating out we pay about 10 euros a head for a lunch time menu (3 courses, bottle of wine, coffee)Expect to pay more weekends and evenings. Hope this helps, if you are relying on a pension then the rate of exchange can make a big difference. If there is a no deal Brexit and the rules regarding health cover change then you may find a lot of Brits moving back to the UK and there could be some real bargains to be had on house purchases. If you need any more info PM me.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
. If there is a no deal Brexit and the rules regarding health cover change then you may find a lot of Brits moving back to the UK QUOTE]

Not a dig at you Murciagull but I detest the way people up sticks and move to Spain but still expect our NHS to be there when they need it.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
No offence taken BUT i have paid into the Spanish Social Security and am now officially a Spanish pensioner and covered by the health service over here and have not used the UK health service for the last 15 years. What I was trying to get at is at the moment a UK pensioner living in Spain who isnt on the Spanish system is treated by the Spanish Health system and the bill sent to the UK, same as a Spanish person living in the UK is treated by the NHS and the bill sent to Spain. This may not continue if there is a no deal brexit.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
We have a villa in Spain but not living there full time as of yet.
Here’s a rough breakdown if you were living here per month

Electric bill - 100
Water bill - 50
Food - 200
Petrol - 70
Health insurance - 100
IBI tax - 50
Car insurance & tax - 30
Mobile phone and internet 50
Home insurance 20

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Totally depends where you want to move to but in the comunidad de valencia it's pretty cheap.

I live in Valencia itself and my community rates are 134€ a year, electricity about 30€ a month, gas 15€, water about the same. The cost of food shopping is dramatically cheaper than in the UK with much higher quality of produce and eating out you can expect to pay about 20-30€ per head for a good place with wine and all.

I don't know much about Murcia but if you need any advice or pointers I'll be more than happy to help, just drop me a message! Seagulls Over Spain group on Facebook is normally full of people happy to give advice and I know a couple of the guys live further down that way so will most likely be a better source of info than I am :)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Didn’t know about that Facebook group so just done a request to join ��

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Hi Moved to Spain 15 years ago to a four bed end of terrace house in a small town in the hills in Murcia. Electricity works out about 40 euros per month (dont have air con but ceiling fans in 4 rooms),water rates inc sewage about 25 euros per month, rates 135 euros per YEAR!. Shopping inc a couple of bottles of wine about 80 euros a week. heating and hot water are by gas bottles 13 euros each probably get through 15 a year. Eating out we pay about 10 euros a head for a lunch time menu (3 courses, bottle of wine, coffee)Expect to pay more weekends and evenings. Hope this helps, if you are relying on a pension then the rate of exchange can make a big difference. If there is a no deal Brexit and the rules regarding health cover change then you may find a lot of Brits moving back to the UK and there could be some real bargains to be had on house purchases. If you need any more info PM me.

do you get to the Amex, though ?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Where about dare you in Mercia [MENTION=5492]murciagull[/MENTION] ?
We’re in Mazarrón

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have said before I know several individuals and couples who have moved to mainland Europe as a direct result of the vote to leave the EU a couple of these moved there buissness with them but one couple moved to Spain with the intention of retiring sadly with the fall in the value of GBP their UK pensions are far les then they were so they have turned their retirement villa into a B&B in an attempt to make up the shortfall and selling up and coming home for the same reasons is at the moment a nonstarter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here