Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

Cost of living in Spain

0 Not allowed!
    Mrs H & I are thinking of getting a place in Spain to get a bit of better weather in the winter and holidays etc so we are researching the costs of owning somewhere.
    I know there's a few ex-pats and holiday-home owners on here so was wondering if you could tell me what it costs to own/run a place (utilities/local taxes/maintenance etc) ?
    "Nibbled to death by an okapi..."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by happypig View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Mrs H & I are thinking of getting a place in Spain to get a bit of better weather in the winter and holidays etc so we are researching the costs of owning somewhere.
      I know there's a few ex-pats and holiday-home owners on here so was wondering if you could tell me what it costs to own/run a place (utilities/local taxes/maintenance etc) ?
      You can only live in Spain if you voted for Brexit.

"If only there was some way of knowing voting to leave the EU would make it harder to live for 6 months in the EU"
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

2 Not allowed!
      The weakness of the pound and its future prospects are going to be your big issue.

For those coming in from other € countries Spain is really good value and prices/services have been very stable since I bought about 6 years ago.

I wouldn't even think about buying until the dust has settled on Brexit and you can see a) what the housing market is up to and b) how the currency is holding up

Oh and if you do decide to go for it make sure you go for visits in Jan/Feb and see if the climate is to your liking ... we did and it's why we ended up down in the Canaries
      Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Sorry but isn't that about as meaningless as asking what the cost of living is in England?
      Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

1 Not allowed!
      Surely you'd want to see what happens with Brexit first?

14 Not allowed!
      Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1256
Size:  54.8 KB

Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Talk to @Cadiz Seagull
      Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Rugrat View Post
      The weakness of the pound and its future prospects are going to be your big issue.

For those coming in from other € countries Spain is really good value and prices/services have been very stable since I bought about 6 years ago.

I wouldn't even think about buying until the dust has settled on Brexit and you can see a) what the housing market is up to and b) how the currency is holding up

Oh and if you do decide to go for it make sure you go for visits in Jan/Feb and see if the climate is to your liking ... we did and it's why we ended up down in the Canaries
      We're planning a trip to Murcia in January to have a look at what a few areas are like off-season.
      We'd not do anything until Brexit is sorted (however it pans out) and exchange rates have stabilised and certainly not before 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Sorry but isn't that about as meaningless as asking what the cost of living is in England?
      No. I know what it costs for council tax, electricity, broadband etc here but no idea what it costs in Spain
      "Nibbled to death by an okapi..."

8 Not allowed!
      How to become a millionaire in Spain, take 3 million with you.....
      How soon is now???
      Past the Leisure Centre, left at the lights

11 Not allowed!
      I’ve just sold my place in Spain after years on the market. The weak pound is a problem, and could be for the foreseeable...
      In Andalucía council tax was around €200 a year and utilities costs are comparable, but pay all bills by direct debit if you’re not planning to be there for periods of time as there are fines and charges if you fail to keep council tax up to date.
      Whilst hospital care is ok, you will be expected to get yourself there or to a medical centre if you need care. Ambulances are few and far between outside the cities.
      Every bodies circumstances are different, but I’d say that unless you’re planning to spend at least half the year there it’s not worth it. Long term rentals are available at a fraction of the cost of a holiday rental, and this keeps your capital in your pocket. Try a couple of 3 month rentals to see if the lifestyle is suitable across the differing seasons