Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - just how good could he be?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've only seen Aaron Connolly play on a couple of occasions but have been impressed. Reading the Argus article today, following another brace in PL2, he obviously has the confidence to go with the talent. So, to those who have seen more of him - just how good could he be do you think?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I would personally really like to see him get a loan and play senior football for a season, somewhere where he will play week in week out against adult pros..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've only seen Aaron Connolly play on a couple of occasions but have been impressed. Reading the Argus article today, following another brace in PL2, he obviously has the confidence to go with the talent. So, to those who have seen more of him - just how good could he be do you think?

I think he COULD be as good as Rooney. Or COULD be as good as Chris McPhee.

Probably somewhere in between though.

One thing is for sure though - we won't find out until we play him.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd like to see him play in the Rumbelows tin pot cup . . . and maybe get a sniff of first team action.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
it's really hard to tell until he starts playing with the big boys. Needs a loan, way too powerful and good for kids football.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd like to see him play in the Rumbelows tin pot cup . . . and maybe get a sniff of first team action.

No way is he going to get past Maupay, Murray, Andone and Locadia to get a first team place at the moment - not a reflection on how good he is, or whether he's ready or not; it's just that he's number five in the queue. As his only spell on loan so far has been only two games due to injury, he really does need a loan now to go and play regularly with the big boys. Missed the boat for The Championship for now - so maybe a half season loan to a League 1 club will do.

Or USG................

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A very good in the box player who gets in good positions and puts chances away. Games I have seen him, didnt seem to contribute much out of area. Hope I am wrong but doesnt look up to jumping from academy to premier league and therefore needs a run in a div 1 or 2 team to see how he would cope.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
A very good in the box player who gets in good positions and puts chances away. Games I have seen him, didnt seem to contribute much out of area. Hope I am wrong but doesnt look up to jumping from academy to premier league and therefore needs a run in a div 1 or 2 team to see how he would cope.

That's interesting, thanks.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Age 19 , should be on verge of team if going to make it . .. which I guess he sort of is.

Be nice to see him play v Rovers

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He’s exceptionally quick to react in the box, a rare quality that in the right team can be a match winner. From what I’ve seen he’s not the type of player to lay goals on for others but definitely someone you don’t want playing against you.
He plays with a surly attitude and swagger and his body language makes him appear angry and frustrated.
He’s a goal scorer, just needs a chance to prove over a period at a higher level. Doesn’t lack confidence but will pick up yellow and red cards, like Rooney.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I think he could be as good as the Denton Destroyer

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
His first goal looked pretty run of the mill stuff until i watched it again and again , the ball was smashed (a shot) from the edge of the area he managed to control it instantly with his torso , swivel on a sixpence and smash it in the net , it was a excellent goal , he's a instinctive striker , deadly in the box and constantly running the defensive line and charging down the keeper , then the second goal , totally different goal , saw the keeper off his line and calmly lofted it over him with 2 defenders around him .

Iv'e been lucky enough to have seen quite a few of the U23 games live and he's a absolute menace to opposition defenses , never stops running , is he good enough for a spot in the first team squad ? i'd say with the arrival of Maupay and our other options probably not but if we lost a couple of strikers through injury / suspension i'd be happy to see him in the team , so it's a tough one to call for Potter but i think he will be playing first team football for somebody quite soon , hopefully Championship , he's definitely worth keeping hold of that's for sure , (i think ) ???

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Needs a top end Legue 1 loan.

As much as I think he can play championship now, I want him getting plenty of game time.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think it is difficult to judge. He doesn't possess blistering pace, or a collection of silky skills. Frankly if he doesn't score, he doesn't really stand out that much. It isn't that he isn't a grafter, as he wins a fair few free kicks and he seems to be a tough little nut.

He is a clinical finisher, who always looks like he will score goals. The question for me, is at what level will he need to add a few more things to his game to survive a run of games when he doesn't score ?

Based on what I have seen of where he is right now, I think he is more likely to be the next Jordan Rhodes, rather than the next Jake Robinson.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Iv'e been lucky enough to have seen quite a few of the U23 games live and he's a absolute menace to opposition defenses , never stops running , is he good enough for a spot in the first team squad ? i'd say with the arrival of Maupay and our other options probably not but if we lost a couple of strikers through injury / suspension i'd be happy to see him in the team , so it's a tough one to call for Potter but i think he will be playing first team football for somebody quite soon , hopefully Championship , he's definitely worth keeping hold of that's for sure , (i think ) ???

Yeah, that's my recollection style-wise from the times I've seen him,

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
If he had not been loaned out last season to Luton and had not had the injury then we would have walked the PL2 last year with him playing the full season.

I get the feeling GP will keep him around this season with a view to giving him game time in the second half of the season if he feels he is good enough (and on last seasons form he must be close), If he was going to loan him out he would have been placed by now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here