Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aaron Connolly - just how good could he be?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think he COULD be as good as Rooney. Or COULD be as good as Chris McPhee.

Probably somewhere in between though.

One thing is for sure though - we won't find out until we play him.

Indeed he does need to play at some stage, l guess though it's about knowing where and when to include him, Maybe as someone esle suggested, the next round of the Caribou Cup at Bristol Rovers is as good a time as any to blood him. Maybe play him alongside Neil Maupay who l imagine will want more and more game time, to get him adjusted to the way that Albion do things.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Connolly could play v Bristol Rovers and still go out on loan after that. Hoffenheim were quite interested in him recently.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A very good in the box player who gets in good positions and puts chances away. Games I have seen him, didnt seem to contribute much out of area. Hope I am wrong but doesnt look up to jumping from academy to premier league and therefore needs a run in a div 1 or 2 team to see how he would cope.

That's what I thought. Turn my back and I miss two goals.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A very good in the box player who gets in good positions and puts chances away. Games I have seen him, didnt seem to contribute much out of area. Hope I am wrong but doesnt look up to jumping from academy to premier league and therefore needs a run in a div 1 or 2 team to see how he would cope.

So what you're saying is he's like Jimmy Greaves or Gary Lineker, does naff all except score goals... Sounds good to me!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So...

Rumours about that Fenebahce's sporting director is flying to England to negotiate a potential loan for Locadia, even though our window is shut.

If this is not just media fantasy and actually happens, then Connolly will certainly stay ?

???

I agree. There's a lot of people who hear about the goals he's scored at PL2 level and seem to think he's Premier League ready. Whilst undoubtedly there's some talent there he's still actually still a way off in my opinion. Suspect he'll get a loan period later in the season as the club will need his goals at U23s level to put them in a decent position in PL2.

Not sure last season at Luton was a great representation of what he has to offer as he was coming back from injury, but suspect that's the sort of level he'll need games at and it can be a positive experience in his development.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Suspect he'll get a loan period later in the season as the club will need his goals at U23s level to put them in a decent position in PL2.

There is no a chance that the club will factor in the U23s league position ahead of Connolly's development! They'll want to stay in that top league, so that they develop against better players, and any success will be welcomed, but it is really quite unimportant.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think it is difficult to judge. He doesn't possess blistering pace, or a collection of silky skills. Frankly if he doesn't score, he doesn't really stand out that much. It isn't that he isn't a grafter, as he wins a fair few free kicks and he seems to be a tough little nut.

He is a clinical finisher, who always looks like he will score goals. The question for me, is at what level will he need to add a few more things to his game to survive a run of games when he doesn't score ?

Based on what I have seen of where he is right now, I think he is more likely to be the next Jordan Rhodes, rather than the next Jake Robinson.

Sounds like Murray!

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
So...

Rumours about that Fenebahce's sporting director is flying to England to negotiate a potential loan for Locadia, even though our window is shut.

If this is not just media fantasy and actually happens, then Connolly will certainly stay ?

???

With Maupay and Andone now moving ahead of him up top, plus Trossard and Izquierdo potentially ahead of him inside left, I could see this loan deal happening. Probably bollocks though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here