Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Philadelphia and VW ads banned for gender stereotyping

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Whatever next? Bloody nanny state. This kind of thing is so irritating. The government has got to stop interfering in every corner of our lives. We can look after ourselves.

Rant over … for the moment.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I was going to post something recently, but I couldn't be bothered.

With all this stuff about how eating meat hurts the environment, I was going to suggest that the outlawing of eating meat will be coming down the line at some point in the future.

Didn't expect movement in this direction so soon though.

University bans hamburgers 'to tackle climate change'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49321560

I seriously wonder if our great grand children will be allowed to eat meat.

(Sorry for being slightly off-topic)

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Whatever next? Bloody nanny state. This kind of thing is so irritating. The government has got to stop interfering in every corner of our lives. We can look after ourselves.

Rant over … for the moment.

So typical of a man to think like that.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Ooh. A game of Gammon Bingo.

I'm IN.

You seem to have replied with an insult already. Why is it seemingly ALWAYS wrong to not buy into ‘political correctness’? I wanted to avoid using that term but it seems quite apt, nothing actually wrong or offensive, but some people don’t like it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

With all this stuff about how eating meat hurts the environment, I was going to suggest that the outlawing of eating meat will be coming down the line at some point in the future.

I seriously wonder if our great grandchildren will survive a chilly winter, or criticism from one of their peers.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I seriously wonder if our great grandchildren will survive a chilly winter, or criticism from one of their peers.

quite, my son would have wanted to go on the conveyor and asked for it to be speeded up . . .. . . .he would have ignored the Golf as well I'm sure.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

I wouldn't worry, the planet will be uninhabitable way before our great grand kids get a chance to decide if they want to eat meat.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Philadelphia is an odd one as it not strictly gender stereotyping. you could run the same ad with women, the message being the product distracts you. you have to hold the prejudice of men cant cope with children to see the offence.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Ooh. A game of Gammon Bingo.

I'm IN.

Did you actually listen to the lady from he ASA on Today this morning?

Her answers to questions raised by John Humphrys were frankly ludicrous.

A total of THREE people objected to the VW advert - yes THREE - It was banned because Gender stereotyping results in "real world harm".......

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’m offended by you not being offended about something I’m offended about, don’t be offended.

Snowflake generation

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just read the related BBC article and noticed the quote about the Phildelphia ad:

'The ASA said the ad had a light-hearted and comical intent, but portrayed the men as "somewhat hapless and inattentive,.."'

Well it's taken several decades of commercial telly, but it's nice to see some sort of recognition and criticism by the ASA of men being nearly always portrayed as incompetent muppets in ads.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here