Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Philadelphia and VW ads banned for gender stereotyping

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Simple solution would be to only use Trans-women in advertising then although there may still be complaints these would be classified as hate crime and therefore invalid .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I seriously wonder if our great grandchildren will survive a chilly winter, or criticism from one of their peers.

Given the rate of climate change there probably won't be any such thing as a "chilly winter".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised there hasn't been more ad campaigns subverting these ridiculous 'gender stereotyping'. U-Switch should get Richard Madeley driving a pink Fiat 500 and Judy Finnegan smoking a pipe, that would get people talking.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I was going to post something recently, but I couldn't be bothered.

With all this stuff about how eating meat hurts the environment, I was going to suggest that the outlawing of eating meat will be coming down the line at some point in the future.

Didn't expect movement in this direction so soon though.

University bans hamburgers 'to tackle climate change'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49321560

I seriously wonder if our great grand children will be allowed to eat meat.

(Sorry for being slightly off-topic)

They've known about the damage that smoking causes for years yet haven't banned it yet. Their responce with such things is usually to start taxing a higher rate on it

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If it takes such a meagre number of complaints to bring about a ban, wouldn't a rival company look to hire a small collection of randoms to write a letter or email declaring their outrage at a hurtful stereotype used? Campaigns can be brought down fairly simply, it seems. Maybe even by a set of bungling dads.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’m offended by you not being offended about something I’m offended about, don’t be offended.

Snowflake generation

No, YOU'RE offended by people being offended by something you're not offended by. You could just shrug and ignore it. Or get all 'snowflaky' like :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did you actually listen to the lady from he ASA on Today this morning?

Her answers to questions raised by John Humphrys were frankly ludicrous.

No. I haven't seen, read, or heard anything about these cases, other than this thread. Because frankly, I couldn't care less. My only interest was in waiting to see all the predictable list of reliable posters, rushing to get all hot under the collar, over it. As ever.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No, YOU'RE offended by people being offended by something you're not offended by. You could just shrug and ignore it. Or get all 'snowflaky' like :shrug:

Nah I’m good I’ll carry on looking for things to get offended and irate about, that’s what people do nowadays it’s the done thing.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
snowflake-picture-id630054332

In case you don't recognize it, this is a close up image of an actual snowflake.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I first heard of this when the lady chairperson was on BBC this morning explaining why they had done it.
I literally cringed, she was trying to justify how the VW ad could “Harm” someone.... not sure if this was the 28 or 3 complaint example but FGS... get a life!!!
Obviously control is required but these two examples were IMO embarrassing.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And yet they permit ads for gambling (and of course sponsorship by betting companies of dozens of football teams) which does far more harm to far more individual people and families. Makes no sense does it?

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Multi- million £ ads..... 3 people complain.... ad gets banned.
Yeah, right...

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
If it takes such a meagre number of complaints to bring about a ban, wouldn't a rival company look to hire a small collection of randoms to write a letter or email declaring their outrage at a hurtful stereotype used? Campaigns can be brought down fairly simply, it seems. Maybe even by a set of bungling dads.

If it's this easy, it might be worth arranging & scuppering your own advert........Philadelphia & VW might not be that upset at the extra free publicity / advertising that this fuss has given them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If it's this easy, it might be worth arranging & scuppering your own advert........Philadelphia & VW might not be that upset at the extra free publicity / advertising that this fuss has given them.

This. My money's on these companies knowing EXACTLY what they were doing. They may even have had people on the inside making 'complaints' about the output...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here