Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Super Cup tonight. Female referee

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
She's a qualified referee, but aside from a couple of recent France Ligue 1 games and refereeing in the WWC, so far she's spent her career officiating almost exclusively down in the French noddy leagues. Not sure how that qualifies her and her team to take charge of a mens European final between the European and Europa League champions. UEFA certainly wouldn't appoint some bloke who'd only ever reffed in the English lower leagues and (say) in an U21 tournament.

Last years referee for this fixture was Szymon Marciniak, a pole who has been refereeing in the Polish top flight since 2011, and taking World Cup Qualifiers since 2014, as well as games in the Finals at Euro 2016 and Russia 2018. A pretty impressive CV, hence getting the gig.

Given that, I'm not really sure exactly what qualifies Stephanie Frappart for this game above a multitude of her more experienced male counterparts. But I'll be watching with interest and hope she does a good job.

She refereed the Women's World Cup Final.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
She's a qualified referee, but aside from a couple of recent France Ligue 1 games and refereeing in the WWC, so far she's spent her career officiating almost exclusively down in the French noddy leagues. Not sure how that qualifies her and her team to take charge of a mens European final between the European and Europa League champions. UEFA certainly wouldn't appoint some bloke who'd only ever reffed in the English lower leagues and (say) in an U21 tournament.

Last years referee for this fixture was Szymon Marciniak, a pole who has been refereeing in the Polish top flight since 2011, and taking World Cup Qualifiers since 2014, as well as games in the Finals at Euro 2016 and Russia 2018. A pretty impressive CV, hence getting the gig.

Given that, I'm not really sure exactly what qualifies Stephanie Frappart for this game above a multitude of her more experienced male counterparts. But I'll be watching with interest and hope she does a good job.

The FIFA Women's World Cup Final was a fairly big deal.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I just wonder what the reaction would be if there were all male officials at a netball game, or another women's sporting event.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Seems like a great idea, I'm sure she'll be just as inept as her male counterparts.

:lolol:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
309A5D96-D4E7-4344-8932-D9230C1C9F26.jpeg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
She refereed the Women's World Cup Final.

I was aware. Is reffing in the Womens World Cup now going to be a prelude to being awarded high profile mens European games then ? Its quite a leap, when domestically week in, week out you're only refereeing in front of three men and a dog.

I'm playing devils advocate here, but it seems that in this case, a woman referee has been fast-tracked to this game, whereas a male referee with a similar kind of career path would have had no chance.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I just wonder what the reaction would be if there were all male officials at a netball game, or another women's sporting event.

There often are. There were male officials at the netball World Cup. Women's cricket has male umpires.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I feel ashamed at having 'lol'ed somwhat reading this thread. But I was laughing mostly at the posts than with them. :rolleyes::whistle:

On a related tack, I was listening to female black British players talking about breath-taking racial abuse on the radio this eveing, by Spanish players last season. So much for the normalization of women in football raising the general tone.

Stand by for tonights female ref calling Salah a skinny islamic poof ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here