Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Electric cars

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I'm not convinced – as I've said previously – partly because of the advances in technology to get there won't be THAT quick and also because the growth of the network will mean range doesn't become so much of an issue. Like you say, you manage just fine and you do a lot of miles. Looking ahead to some of the productions cars being launched in Frankfurt next month, things like the Volkswagen ID is topping out at 300-ish (claimed) miles. Getting to 500 will take a bit longer than three years IMO.

Not sure why you have picked on 500 miles. How many people drive regularly say from Brighton to Glasgow without stopping for a half hour break. For the vast vast vast majority of people 300 miles is ample.

So long as you can get a quick charge either part way or at your destination super long range becomes less important.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not sure why you have picked on 500 miles. How many people drive regularly say from Brighton to Glasgow without stopping for a half hour break. For the vast vast vast majority of people 300 miles is ample.

So long as you can get a quick charge either part way or at your destination super long range becomes less important.

I mentioned 500 miles because that's what [MENTION=20367]Magicman[/MENTION] suggested would be normal in three years. I'm disagreeing with that.

FWIW, I agree with what you're saying, as per the rest of my post. For the vast vast majority of people about 100 miles is ample, but it's the mindset of having a lot of miles in the 'tank' that people like.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Electric cars on the road IMHO are a bit like bikes on the train. Just about works while they're few and far between, but utterly impractical from the point of view of mass adoption.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I mentioned 500 miles because that's what [MENTION=20367]Magicman[/MENTION] suggested would be normal in three years. I'm disagreeing with that.

FWIW, I agree with what you're saying, as per the rest of my post. For the vast vast majority of people about 100 miles is ample, but it's the mindset of having a lot of miles in the 'tank' that people like.

agreed about miles in the tank...and yet most people run around with the tank three quarters empty :)

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Electric cars on the road IMHO are a bit like bikes on the train. Just about works while they're few and far between, but utterly impractical from the point of view of mass adoption.

Really? I think someone should tell Norway where 60% of new vehicles are now electric, the investors who are holding 45 billion of Tesla stock, Volkswagen who are investing 30 billion in EV development as well as pretty much every major car manufacturer who all have future plans to mass produce Ev’s. We should also let the owners and participants in formula e know and the likes of Volvo who have pretty much committed to go all in with EV’s within the next 10 years. According to the experts on north stand chat they are all barking up the wrong tree!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Really? I think someone should tell Norway where 60% of new vehicles are now electric, the investors who are holding 45 billion of Tesla stock, Volkswagen who are investing 30 billion in EV development as well as pretty much every major car manufacturer who all have future plans to mass produce Ev’s. We should also let the owners and participants in formula e know and the likes of Volvo who have pretty much committed to go all in with EV’s within the next 10 years. According to the experts on north stand chat they are all barking up the wrong tree!

Interestingly, the Arctic Tour of Norway (which started yesterday) is the first Pro cycling event to use completely electric cars (Hyundai) for the support vehicles.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks. I'm on Pod Point, but haven't seen rapid charging. I'll look into it, as I think I may be able to get rapid charging if I have the right connector

You shouldn't need a connector, if you car supports rapid charging their will likely be a cable that plugs straight in to it from the rapid charging unit.

If you are in Brighton and want to check a rapid charger out there is one at the Withdean Stadium outside the sports centre, its a 'charge your car' one. It supports Type 2 (43kW), CCS (50kW) and CHAdeMO (50kW).

Stumpy Tim

You shouldn't need a connector, if you car supports rapid charging their will likely be a cable that plugs straight in to it from the rapid charging unit.

If you are in Brighton and want to check a rapid charger out there is one at the Withdean Stadium outside the sports centre, its a 'charge your car' one. It supports Type 2 (43kW), CCS (50kW) and CHAdeMO (50kW).

Thanks mate. Really useful info

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Please help - there was a brilliant article about how use of cars will change - and how everything will change in the next few decades somewhere on NSC. Could someone tell me where it is please - I'd really like to share it with some people. Thanks

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
6_Lotus_Evija_Plan.jpg

LOTUS EVIJA

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
This was in post #18

Not sure about other makes but every Toyota Hybrid vehicle comes with a 5-year 100,000 mile Toyota warranty, which – with an annual hybrid service extends the cover on your battery for up to 15 years.

The cost of replacing the battery pack costs between £1000 and £1200 depending on model (apart from the Prius plug in which is over £6000 !)

Have since discovered that Toyota and Nissan are now finding that batteries are lasting well over 10 years and replacing battery packs is unusual even for the earliest of Prius in this country[/QUOT

Unless you are happy to be enriched forget about about hybrid vehicles , 100% EV is the way to go now . :thumbsup:

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car

[yt]KGctBq4bwOQ[/YT]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGctBq4bwOQ

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here