Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter’s Players

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Dunk. He’s instrumental in Potter’s plans to make use of playmaking centre backs.

He's going to be ****ing phenomenal this season. We will sell him next summer for big money.

Heard it here first (and possibly last).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agreed. Injury aside, Jose could end up being our best winger and Bissouma our best midfielder.

Hopefully, competition will be very fierce when they’re both fit. We didn’t need them on Saturday.

He could end up being our only winger. CH insisted on wingers, I'm not so sure GP does. Knockaert loaned out, March converted to a wing-back. Locadia was never an orthodox winger, and has been difficult to categorise, but Potter certainly hasn't used him as a winger. Ditto Gross on Saturday. Jahanbakhsh is more a wide forward than a winger, and I suspect that Trossard is a more creative wide forward a la Hazard (while not being of the same quality).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He could end up being our only winger. CH insisted on wingers, I'm not so sure GP does.

But, I’m pretty sure that Izzy played on the left side of a front 3 at Brugge so maybe so he does not have to play on the wing, therefore, no wingers!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Stephens
Bissouma
Propper
Trossard
Andone
Maupay

Height is not important for the front 3 given the height of the 3 centre backs.

Those group starting in one game could be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We all have favourites in life don’t we?

I loved Timmy Mallett as a child until I met him.

It was clear that Hughton was keen on the likes of Ryan, Duffy, Dunk, Stephens, Murray & Bruno who would all give everything to carry out his instructions to the letter. He could really trust those players, trust was a big thing with Chris.

We now have a new regime led by Mr Potter. Who are the players that he’ll be returning too time and time again, who are the special undropables?

I’m kicking this off with #1 Pascale Groß.

Having listened to the amazing ‘Together’ podcast that focuses on stats and tacts. It seems that Groß’ role in the last game was critical to our success. His work rate, high press and interchanging with Pröpper kept the Watford back line perplexed, nervous and conservative. You can see this in the second goal where they simply don’t know what to do with Pröpper because they’d been focusing on Groß and Montoya.

I think he is the perfect Potter player balancing work rate, guile and skill whilst maintaining a flexibility that the chief tactical Wizard clearly appreciates.

Who else?

With regards to Timmy Mallet, I used to work with a bizarre Southend fan who insisted him and Timmy were best mates and to prove it he’ll bring him into work one day.

He was made redundant before this happened so what was he like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Don't forget he didn't start playing James until last autumn and he went from zero to £15m in nine months or less

My hunch is Baluta to break into team over the winter

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
With regards to Timmy Mallet, I used to work with a bizarre Southend fan who insisted him and Timmy were best mates and to prove it he’ll bring him into work one day.

He was made redundant before this happened so what was he like?

Trying to concentrate on how we're going to hammer the hammers on Saturday, I'm once again drawn back to that wretched confrontation I had with the man. Although it's well over 30 years since I met Mallett, the memory of the our encounter is as sharp as it was the morning after we acquainted and it still torments me to this day.

I'd spent a week anticipating the moment I was to meet him after my hero had announced, live on Wacaday, his plan to cycle the London-to-Brighton outlining his stops and times and encouraging his adoring faithful to come along and shout "utterly brilliant!" and "blaaah!" deep into his skull.

My parents had announced that I was to be taken to Lindfield common to meet this wondrous and zany man. It felt like Christmas was coming twice!
Would he have his funny glasses on?
Would he be carrying his big pink headed yellow mallet?
Would he sign an autograph for me?

The big day arrived and I spent, what seemed like an age, waiting on the common to meet a man who was only succeeded by Harris in my estimations. And then, there he was, accompanied by the roar of a crowd of screaming children, he cycled on to the withered grass of the common. I sprinted with almost a drunk like stupor into the buzzing gaggle that had surrounded him hoping to chat to the bespectacled icon.

My first impression of him was unforgettable. Rather than anything he said or anything about the way he looked, I remember a sort of foreboding chill, it was as though the temperature had dropped 10 degrees. He was agitated and angry and pointed in the direction of some other cyclists some 50m away. There was a promise of free merch and autographs and I was carried away with the crowd of similarly brainwashed and over excited squealing children as we pelted our way over to the highlighted group. They of course knew nothing about autographs, free merch or even who Timmy Mallett was, we all turned around in unison to see Mallett making his escape and launching into the next leg of his endeavour.
With him went my childhood innocence.

If I'd had an AT4 unguided, portable, single-shot, recoilless, smoothbore shoulder mounted surface to surface missile launcher to hand, I'd have reduced Mallett to a pattern design off one of his useless wacky shirts, but I didn't. He got lucky.

The thought occurred to me that the man actually hated children. He was a liar. He had no wit or charm. The humourless dream wrecker was my hero no longer.

He went on to release singles with titles like "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" and " Little girls sitting in the backseat"; it's no surprise that one has to gasp in astonishment everytime one considers how he escaped the attention of operation Yew Tree, like Saville, he did (and does) a lot of work for charity, that always makes me suspicious.

Other notable endeavours include in 2002, when Mallett made West Ham United F.C. agree to stop selling copies of their mascot, Herbie the Hammer, in their club shop after he complained that it looked too similar to Pinky Punky (Mallett's Mallet). West Ham United withdrew the item. Let's hope they make a similar withdrawal this weekend, but one of hope rather than one of hammer.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Trying to concentrate on how we're going to hammer the hammers on Saturday, I'm once again drawn back to that wretched confrontation I had with the man. Although it's well over 30 years since I met Mallett, the memory of the our encounter is as sharp as it was the morning after we acquainted and it still torments me to this day.

I'd spent a week anticipating the moment I was to meet him after my hero had announced, live on Wacaday, his plan to cycle the London-to-Brighton outlining his stops and times and encouraging his adoring faithful to come along and shout "utterly brilliant!" and "blaaah!" deep into his skull.

My parents had announced that I was to be taken to Lindfield common to meet this wondrous and zany man. It felt like Christmas was coming twice!
Would he have his funny glasses on?
Would he be carrying his big pink headed yellow mallet?
Would he sign an autograph for me?

The big day arrived and I spent, what seemed like an age, waiting on the common to meet a man who was only succeeded by Harris in my estimations. And then, there he was, accompanied by the roar of a crowd of screaming children, he cycled on to the withered grass of the common. I sprinted with almost a drunk like stupor into the buzzing gaggle that had surrounded him hoping to chat to the bespectacled icon.

My first impression of him was unforgettable. Rather than anything he said or anything about the way he looked, I remember a sort of foreboding chill, it was as though the temperature had dropped 10 degrees. He was agitated and angry and pointed in the direction of some other cyclists some 50m away. There was a promise of free merch and autographs and I was carried away with the crowd of similarly brainwashed and over excited squealing children as we pelted our way over to the highlighted group. They of course knew nothing about autographs, free merch or even who Timmy Mallett was, we all turned around in unison to see Mallett making his escape and launching into the next leg of his endeavour.
With him went my childhood innocence.

If I'd had an AT4 unguided, portable, single-shot, recoilless, smoothbore shoulder mounted surface to surface missile launcher to hand, I'd have reduced Mallett to a pattern design off one of his useless wacky shirts, but I didn't. He got lucky.

The thought occurred to me that the man actually hated children. He was a liar. He had no wit or charm. The humourless dream wrecker was my hero no longer.

He went on to release singles with titles like "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" and " Little girls sitting in the backseat"; it's no surprise that one has to gasp in astonishment everytime one considers how he escaped the attention of operation Yew Tree, like Saville, he did (and does) a lot of work for charity, that always makes me suspicious.

Other notable endeavours include in 2002, when Mallett made West Ham United F.C. agree to stop selling copies of their mascot, Herbie the Hammer, in their club shop after he complained that it looked too similar to Pinky Punky (Mallett's Mallet). West Ham United withdrew the item. Let's hope they make a similar withdrawal this weekend, but one of hope rather than one of hammer.

I shared a picnic with Michaela Strachan, and she was every bit as friendly and lovely as she appears to be on screen. But that might just have been to get a chipolata.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I just want to know what was wrong with Timmy Mallett?

Not wanting to turn this into a Timmy Mallet thread, but came across him on a ski holiday a couple of years ago. He is a bit of an arse, but his son is a TOTAL arse

(Luckily we only shared transport and their chalet was next door, but to say they weren't popular :) )

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not wanting to turn this into a Timmy Mallet thread, but came across him on a ski holiday a couple of years ago. He is a bit of an arse, but his son is a TOTAL arse

(Luckily we only shared transport and their chalet was next door, but to say they weren't popular :) )

Details.

We need DETAILS of their arsery.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have predicted Davy Propper to be our player of the season.

I think he will flourish under Potter.

Well so far so good as he looked fantastic Sat - played with freedom and it was beautiful :)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Based on the 3-4-3 formation Dunk will look superb with license to bring the ball out of defence, Propper will have space to play and our wing backs should both become vitally important. I can see Bernardo claiming a spot on the left once he understands what Potter wants from him. Bissouma is the one who excites me through the middle as he may stand out but up front I can see pace being a key ingredient to our attacks and players like Maupay & Trossard should flourish. Obviously Murray cannot go on for ever and I wonder how early we will move to make the most of other options. An exciting season ahead

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well so far so good as he looked fantastic Sat - played with freedom and it was beautiful :)

Now Bruno has hung his boots up Propper takes on the mantle of our classiest player - I really hope he has a great season, fantastic player to watch when he's on his game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Did you later aggressively cut up the father or son on a piste?

I met Ian Dowie in a cable car in Courmayeur. I opened up a conversation about football, but the humourless goon could only utter a dig against BHAFC.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
This thread getting me quite excited about Saturday (excluding. Timmy Mallet references, always thought he was a ****). Bring it on !!

In respect of the original line of questioning I would argue a spine will emerge so expect mainstays of Ryan, Dunk, Pröpper and Stephens (keeping to the diamond theme) but rotation almost everywhere else. The only possible exception to that could be Montoya who massively improved my estimations of him on one showing alone.

As for the other two CBs and LWB Position I expect rotation a plenty.
Do you not see Duffy as a mainstay somewhere in the team, i.e. only rotated position-wise?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Do you not see Duffy as a mainstay somewhere in the team, i.e. only rotated position-wise?

Not in this formation no. For me he’s become interchangeable with Burn/Webster and they may actually prove more proficient in GPs tactical set up where the extreme CB has to fill in as a full back anytime play dictates.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here