Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter’s Players

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We all have favourites in life don’t we?

I loved Timmy Mallett as a child until I met him.

It was clear that Hughton was keen on the likes of Ryan, Duffy, Dunk, Stephens, Murray & Bruno who would all give everything to carry out his instructions to the letter. He could really trust those players, trust was a big thing with Chris.

We now have a new regime led by Mr Potter. Who are the players that he’ll be returning too time and time again, who are the special undropables?

I’m kicking this off with #1 Pascale Groß.

Having listened to the amazing ‘Together’ podcast that focuses on stats and tacts. It seems that Groß’ role in the last game was critical to our success. His work rate, high press and interchanging with Pröpper kept the Watford back line perplexed, nervous and conservative. You can see this in the second goal where they simply don’t know what to do with Pröpper because they’d been focusing on Groß and Montoya.

I think he is the perfect Potter player balancing work rate, guile and skill whilst maintaining a flexibility that the chief tactical Wizard clearly appreciates.

Who else?

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Guaranteed that there will be a load of answers along the lines of 'Potter won't have favourites. He'll pick the best team to face the specific opposition in each game, etc'.

They are wrong though - EVERY manager has a central cohort of (almost) undroppable players, in whom they trust.

Too early to call who will be GP's.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Dunk. He’s instrumental in Potter’s plans to make use of playmaking centre backs.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I think much to the disappointment of many (the bloke sat behind me in particular), Dale Stephens. He is a players/managers player. Underappreciated by many in my opinion.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

It was clear that Hughton was keen on the likes of Ryan, Duffy, Dunk, Stephens, Murray & Bruno who would all give everything to carry out his instructions to the letter. He could really trust those players, trust was a big thing with Chris.

We now have a new regime led by Mr Potter. Who are the players that he’ll be returning too time and time again, who are the special undropables?

Having listened to the amazing ‘Together’ podcast that focuses on stats and tacts. It seems that Groß’ role in the last game was critical to our success. His work rate, high press and interchanging with Pröpper kept the Watford back line perplexed, nervous and conservative. You can see this in the second goal where they simply don’t know what to do with Pröpper because they’d been focusing on Groß and Montoya.

I think he is the perfect Potter player balancing work rate, guile and skill whilst maintaining a flexibility that the chief tactical Wizard clearly appreciates.

Who else?

If so I wonder if Trossard is regretting his move already :wink:

He did look fecking surly in all the team photos I saw........everyone else except for Bissouma (who looked away with the fairies) seemed to be having a great time

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think much to the disappointment of many (the bloke sat behind me in particular), Dale Stephens. He is a players/managers player. Underappreciated by many in my opinion.

This. I thought against Watford he looked a different player.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
If so I wonder if Trossard is regretting his move already :wink:

He did look fecking surly in all the team photos I saw........everyone else except for Bissouma (who looked away with the fairies) seemed to be having a great time

04-Huddle.jpg

really? I thought this photo of him trying to lift Balogun was funny and he has a grimace-smile on his face.

(also how small he is and Maupay)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Dale Stephens. Fundamental to all the diamond patterns, breaking up opposition moves and transitioning our play in to attack mode.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Who else?

I can see Potter using Trossard on the left (dropping Gross, moving Locadia right) if he sees a weakness in the oppostions RH side, and wants to overload on our left.
We've already seen the March/Burn/Trossard combination working well in the friendlies.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
We've already seen the March/Burn/Trossard combination working well in the friendlies.

The biggest positive from the friendlies IMHO. Trossard will get his chance, either for Locadia against less physical teams, for someone against slower defences or off the bench. Bringing on Maupay, Andone AND Trossard against a tiring defence is mouth watering.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Good thread. Re Groß GP said it was a tough decision to not play Trossard but felt away from home Groß offered more solidity. So personally I don’t expect him to be an ever present. PG away and LT at home?

Having said that I really think tactically and positionally players will be moved around. One game could see a front three of Maupay/Andone with PG and LT behind for example. In the final third in particular that’s where I’d utilise rotation the most to keep other managers guessing and to keep all of Locadia, Andone, Murray, Maupay, Groß and Trossard as happy as possible.

In respect of the original line of questioning I would argue a spine will emerge so expect mainstays of Ryan, Dunk, Pröpper and Stephens (keeping to the diamond theme) but rotation almost everywhere else. The only possible exception to that could be Montoya who massively improved my estimations of him on one showing alone.

As for the other two CBs and LWB Position I expect rotation a plenty.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I would hope Propper.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dunk for sure, but going the other way I think we're going to see more of an outpouring of love fro GP from the whole squad..............already evident in some of the player interviews

Stumpy Tim

The biggest positive from the friendlies IMHO. Trossard will get his chance, either for Locadia against less physical teams, for someone against slower defences or off the bench. Bringing on Maupay, Andone AND Trossard against a tiring defence is mouth watering.

Agree with this. I imagine Trossard will also play against teams that sit back and defend deep as Locadia isn't the player for those situations. Trossard and Gross will be key in those games

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have predicted Davy Propper to be our player of the season.

I think he will flourish under Potter.

I only saw (most of) the second half on Saturday, and he looked as though he was really enjoying himself and I had him down as our best player. We will have to wait and see on your prediction though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here