Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Second Ashes Test - Lord's 14th-18th August 2019

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yep, thing is with Roy I said during the last test, either tell him to go out there and be aggressive and go for his shots or don’t play him at all, he doesn’t have the defensive technique to play the way he’s trying too and you lose all his actual qualities if he plays the way he currently is.

Or find a proper opener and send him in at 4 or 5, that’s what I’d prefet

How do we know he wasn't told to go out and be aggressive? He faced 3 balls. :shrug:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
How do we know he wasn't told to go out and be aggressive? He faced 3 balls. :shrug:

Fair point on today but from memory his dismissals in test cricket aside from that hideous shot last match when we were trying to save the test he just doesn’t have the defensive judgment, the ball he edged today was a standard leave on line and length for any opener, if you’re going to get out like that you might as well just play your natural game and try and throttle it.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Fair point on today but from memory his dismissals in test cricket aside from that hideous shot last match when we were trying to save the test he just doesn’t have the defensive judgment, the ball he edged today was a standard leave on line and length for any opener, if you’re going to get out like that you might as well just play your natural game and try and throttle it.

This is only his third test. Regardless of how he has been asked to play, he's got out early in at least 3 of his 5 innings so far. No matter how good someone is at playing attacking, aggressive cricket they still need to know how to defend early in their innings. Roy doesn't seem to be able to, which means he won't make it as a test batsman no matter where he bats in the order or indeed how he is told/decides to play.

Edit: although batting 5 or 6 would help a bit but we have plenty of middle order batsmen

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
AUS win toss and BOWL
Personally I think the teams that wins the toss in the first match should choose whether to bowl or bat, and the other team should get the choice at the next match, with the choice alternating. It's daft that one team can repeatedly have a big advantage because of the toss of a coin.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Personally I think the teams that wins the toss in the first match should choose whether to bowl or bat, and the other team should get the choice at the next match, with the choice alternating. It's daft that one team can repeatedly have a big advantage because of the toss of a coin.

Then the home side could prepare an absolute green-top and bowl first if they wanted, or a belter and bat... it wouldn't work.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Then the home side could prepare an absolute green-top and bowl first if they wanted, or a belter and bat... it wouldn't work.
Well it seemed like a good idea for the best part of 100 seconds.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I get what you're saying, but in test cricket whether you open, or coming in 4, 5 or 6, there are times you have to protect your wicket. If Roy wants for be a Test batsmen, its no good saying he just has to be aggressive, his batting attributes have to adjust to conditions, score, time etc.

I'm not sure I buy this restriction of his natural game. We don't know he's not been told to play his natural game, and this is it with the red ball.

You're right about a standard leave, because of variable bounce in England, we've not had many who are comfortable leaving on length only, Cook being the most obvious exponent of that, but even so his technique (like Burns has shown this morning) should play the ball to a line, don't chase it, Burns has played and missed because he's playing the line not the movement. Roy needs to get that in his head.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain
Please rain

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Denly in now..... hope he proves me wrong but I’m totally unconvinced by him so far, doesn’t exactly inspire confidence

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Root gone early :nono:

At least we won't get BensGonad wittering on about not converting 50s into 100s. :laugh:

#silverlining

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Denly got a crack on the helmet there at nearly 90mph, thank god for modern technology in these helmets!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Been busy for a bit, but back watching now...

Sorry - but attacking instincts, blah, blah, blah, aside - that was embarrassing from Roy. Absolutely ridiculous.

He was lucky to last as long as he did. First ball a wide long hop, that he had a massive swipe at. Second ball a beauty that he played and missed. Third one a nice easy line to leave alone, and he's sucked into fending at it.

Useless.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hate to jinx, but at least Burns seems to be seeing the ball well.

:lol: literally 5 seconds later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here