Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Second Ashes Test - Lord's 14th-18th August 2019

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bairstow can’t bat at 3.... too much to keep wicket and bat there, plus he is another like Roy who struggles against the new ball.

I’d like to see Sam Curran in the team, but at the expense of another batsman in Roy would mean another player in the side who can ‘bat a bit’.

Denly to open is a decent idea however, but I’d swap him and Roy. Roy has never opened in red ball cricket for Surrey and would be far more comfortable batting at 4.

I would give the gloves to Buttler who I think is better behind the stumps than JB anyway and JB is the better batsman. This notion that JB is unhappy playing the quickies how come he does so well in limited overs as an opener.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd give Denly a go too, BG. Roy isn't up to it.

Agreed on that. Dominic Sibley should be in line for a call up at some stage too.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would give the gloves to Buttler who I think is better behind the stumps than JB anyway and JB is the better batsman. This notion that JB is unhappy playing the quickies how come he does so well in limited overs as an opener.

Test cricket is a different beast though.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Foakes is extremely hard done by IMO.

The best keeper by a street, and no less reliable with the bat that Bairstow or Buttler currently.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Roy is a one day player, there's no disgrace in that. He's been asked to open against a canny Aussie bowling attack and he's not up to it.

Not his fault this country can't produce test openers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Roy is a one day player, there's no disgrace in that. He's been asked to open against a canny Aussie bowling attack and he's not up to it.

Not his fault this country can't produce test openers.

If only he could bat at 4, 5 or 6.

Oh wait, he can. Let's try that.

I can see him being akin to Stokes of a few years ago - come in middle order and spank a quick 50-60 before getting out. Very useful to have an option like that.

He's not a test opener, but that doesn't mean he can't be a test batsman.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If only he could bat at 4, 5 or 6.

Oh wait, he can. Let's try that.

I can see him being akin to Stokes of a few years ago - come in middle order and spank a quick 50-60 before getting out. Very useful to have an option like that.

He's not a test opener, but that doesn't mean he can't be a test batsman.

Who is he replacing at 4, 5 and 6?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who is he replacing at 4, 5 and 6?

Dunno. Haven't thought that far ahead yet - are all of them firing perfectly at the moment?

My point is that just because he doesn't seem to have the right mentality to be a test opener, I don't see why that should mean throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Bairstow is a better keeper, he isn’t unhappy playing the quicks he is not very good against the new RED ball.

Also his batting average while keeping is double that of when he isn’t keeping wicket.

He does well in one day cricket because it’s a white ball, it doesn’t swing as much and the field settings are much different.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Dunno. Haven't thought that far ahead yet - are all of them firing perfectly at the moment?

My point is that just because he doesn't seem to have the right mentality to be a test opener, I don't see why that should mean throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

You couldn't drop any of the current incumbents. Denly, Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow. If Roy can't open I don't think he's good enough to make space for.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You couldn't drop any of the current incumbents. Denly, Buttler, Stokes, Bairstow. If Roy can't open I don't think he's good enough to make space for.

Denly perhaps? Looks nice but rarely kicks on. Otherwise no wouldn't change any of the other 3. Another thought is Woakes opening and simply shifting others by one position to make space. Roy is a supreme talent and it would be great if we could make it work.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Denly scored 56 runs in this match and can bowl. I do agree to an extent, Roy's hitting in ODIs makes you think he could take the game away from some sides but he's got huge issues. Unfortunately he'll never play enough country cricket to iron the deficiences out.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Denly scored 56 runs in this match and can bowl. I do agree to an extent, Roy's hitting in ODIs makes you think he could take the game away from some sides but he's got huge issues. Unfortunately he'll never play enough country cricket to iron the deficiences out.

County cricket seems almost an irrelevance with test openers though people average 50 in the county game making hundred after hundreds then they come in against test bowlers and fail, playing the new ball in England against the bowlers both teams have is very tough, only Burns from both teams has really done anything in the series so far.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
69565846_2370289876382602_7590474175844712448_o.jpg

Don't see that field very often.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here