Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs Australia Second Ashes Test - Lord's 14th-18th August 2019

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A draw is a terrible result for us IMO, 1-0 down with 3 left when you cannot trust the weather and lose the next one the ashes is over.

Aussies record at Lord's is very good. They have the momentum. Chances are they'd win this game if it's played 2-0 and the series is pretty much lost.

1-0 down with 3 to go is all to play for.

Apologies for my ignorance but if they only manage some scraps of play over the full 5 days, do they decide the outcome using the Jack Duckworth method or whatever the thing's called. Else the current 8/11 bookies odds on the draw looks tremendous value.

You obviously haven't seen England bat lately

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Aussies record at Lord's is very good. They have the momentum. Chances are they'd win this game if it's played 2-0 and the series is pretty much lost.

1-0 down with 3 to go is all to play for.

Disagree on that front, the Aussies do have a good record at Lords but that’s when they were a much, much better side than they are right now and English bowlers love these mixed conditions and we are more used to the on/off stuff than them. 1-0 with 3 to go sounds all to play for but if the series is drawn we lose so we essentially have to avoid defeat in all those tests.

Agree to disagree perhaps, I just think these conditions and the way the pitch looks if this match is played England will have a big advantage against quite a few players who don’t have much experience at Lords.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
England's day? I reckon we edged it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Would have been better off delaying the series by a year and starting in June/July next year, starting a five match series in August was always looking for trouble. They could have had a short 3 test series against somebody this year. Come next spring everybody will be moaning they have played too much cricket.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, with the one-day look side England have picked a day lost to rain isn't going to make any difference.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I don't understand if there is no play today, that they cant just start tomorrow as day 1

Further rain is expected at the weekend, so even England should avoid defeat.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Good first day for England all in all.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I know I haven't lived in the UK since 2002, but Test Matches always used to start on a Thursday. Since when have they been scheduled to start on a Wednesday?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Hopefully get a full days play today. Although Friday doesn't look too hopeful and Saturday a bit damp. Can't see this one getting a result.

london.JPG

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Makes you wonder what to do if we win the toss?

I’d have a bowl and try and skittle them cheaply on a wicket that’s been under covers for a day. It’s the only way England have a chance of winning and even if they bat big the weather should save us.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
We must bat if we win the toss make the most of the best batting conditions today, spinning pitch possibly batting last against Lyon, no thanks!

Weather forecast looks to be fine today, fine tomorrow till 3/4 (will they use some brains and start play early? Probably not) Saturday and Sunday look relatively ok with a few showers about

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I know I haven't lived in the UK since 2002, but Test Matches always used to start on a Thursday. Since when have they been scheduled to start on a Wednesday?
They used to take Sunday off. Started all over the place for years - rare for a Thursday start. I guess they time it so the exciting part is likely to be at the weekend.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here