Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New and improved WiFi at amex

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I am interested in what information they can give that wouldn’t be as obvious on a stream or live match. Care to enlighten me?

I don’t understand why it is considered a problem if people pass info from grounds, it’s not like they can influence what is going on on the pitch? :shrug:

Clearly I’m missing something.

Presumably the news story about a Hull fan being ordered to stop sending texts during a match recently passed you by? Discussed in this thread: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?374720-Hull-fan-nearly-evicted-for-texting

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Presumably the news story about a Hull fan being ordered to stop sending texts during a match recently passed you by? Discussed in this thread: https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?374720-Hull-fan-nearly-evicted-for-texting

Nope, I did see it but I still don’t understand what it is he could have been doing or could have seen that could possibly have any influence on what was going on the pitch.

To put it another way what possible benefit would I have by being at a match that is going to net me or anybody else money on a bet? Just one example would be good?

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Nope, I did see it but I still don’t understand what it is he could have been doing or could have seen that could possibly have any influence on what was going on the pitch.

To put it another way what possible benefit would I have by being at a match that is going to net me or anybody else money on a bet? Just one example would be good?

I dunno as I don't bet but it isn't about influencing the activity on the pitch and instead gaining some sort of knowledge to influence spot betting (such as time of first sub or something). Really you'd need the people that made the rule to explain why and I doubt they're regulars on NSC.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Quite simply, its timing.

Someone sending an SMS text notification of an event in a game can be slightly ahead of when it 'officially' goes out as an update to the betting sites. So I could be sat there with a bet primed on my computer that there's going to be a red card in the game. Matey at the game texts that someone has just been sent off, and BOOM, hit click, get that bet on a FRACTION before the news has been cascaded and updated onto all the betting sites, and see the bet pay off.

Highly unethical of course. It makes me feel SO sorry for those poor bookies, it really does.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite simply, its timing.

Someone sending an SMS text notification of an event in a game can be slightly ahead of when it 'officially' goes out as an update to the betting sites. So I could be sat there with a bet primed on my computer that there's going to be a red card in the game. Matey at the game texts that someone has just been sent off, and BOOM, hit click, get that bet on a FRACTION before the news has been cascaded and updated onto all the betting sites, and see the bet pay off.

Highly unethical of course. It makes me feel SO sorry for those poor bookies, it really does.

Hmm, a bet placed AFTER the real time sending off would be paid out? You surprise me, but I really do know feck all about betting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hmm, a bet placed AFTER the real time sending off would be paid out? You surprise me, but I really do know feck all about betting.

I wouldn't pretend to know the technicalties behind how it is achieved, but its not much of a stretch to consider computerised algorithms set up to instantly exploit split-second events via a text. The betting companies are clearly spooked enough by this to be putting 'heavies' into stadiums to nab anyone they suspect of providing live in-game updates that can be exploited in this way.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
In the NS, during the game, its never been an issue to check scores of other games, sometimes it take a bit to load up, its only half time that everything dies when so many people try to get online. However, compared to every other premier league ground ours is by far the best, even though it appears to be rubbish.

I'm on EE and cant get on BBC app before or during game in row w.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Won't be needed soon with 5G anyway.
5g hasn't exactly set the world alight in london so far and you need an expensive phone. I would say widespread use is a good 18 months away

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
5g hasn't exactly set the world alight in london so far and you need an expensive phone. I would say widespread use is a good 18 months away

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Well, yes, 18 months isn't long though?

Think I read that 4G allowed fast internet access to up to 4,000 phones, whereas for 5G it's 2,000,000.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Old thread but I’ll stick this in here!

Does anyone know why I can’t get betting websites over the stadium WiFi now? Always nice to check on your bets at half time but haven’t been able to for the last few weeks. Is it a general thing or do I need to change some settings?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Does anyone know why I can’t get betting websites over the stadium WiFi now? Always nice to check on your bets at half time but haven’t been able to for the last few weeks. Is it a general thing or do I need to change some settings?
Are you going through the Focus click through / ‘login’ ?

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
A couple of weeks ago at the Amex I wasn’t even allowed to look-up when the next Plumpton racecourse meeting would be.

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham

They have blocked gambling websites for some unknown reason. I tweeted the club a few times about it but they just ignored it. If you go to the website rather than the betting app it tells you that it is blocked. Finding it really annoying.

Shopes

Jan 3, 2018

I noticed that last week too! I could get on Paddy Power but not any of the other betting websites.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, it’s annoying and bloody pointless. Can still get on some betting sites (I’m not going to name which ones !!) but not others.
Also can’t get on the Sporting Life but can get on the Racing Post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here