Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hong Kong - Hoping For The Best But Expecting The Worst

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Indeed that is the worry, but it should have to be a full war. China has no right to Taiwan, whereas they do have some right to rule Hong Kong. IMO, the Taiwanese should just be resolute that China will never control Taiwan.

Give out visas? It should be up to Taiwan whom they give visas to, not China.

Yes, but when I went 30 years ago there weren't any Chinese tourists. They got a lot of money from Chinese tourists, and now that has somewhat dried up. That's life, move on.

There are many countries around the world that could easily be obliterated by their neighbour, without others coming to help. That doesn't mean it'll happen though. What has China got to gain from killing those they claim are their own citizens? It's not like they need the land, and there aren't any natural resources worth invading for. So how many missiles doesn't really matter. China's best option is to try and convince the citizens of Taiwan that it'll be good for them (with their usual BS media etc). I don't think a full scale war would be a good idea.

The only similarity is that no one else would want to go to war over it. China could simply roll their tanks into Hong Kong, there wouldn't be a war. That's not so easy with Taiwan.

Here is the link about the visa situation. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e9-acc8-1d847bacca73_story.html?noredirect=on

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
The problem with Taiwan is nobody recognises it as an actual nation, not even Taiwan.

If they moved away from the position that they are the official Government of China and instead went down the path for independence they may receive more support from the likes of the US and Japan.

This is the issue though. Taiwan does recognise itself as a separate nation, but the moment they officially declare this, current relationships with China will collapse.

China indirectly gets involved with anything Taiwan, such as threatening to ban all airlines from China that have Taiwan as an option on their websites, having to use Republic of China. Taiwan are not even allowed to be called Taiwan at the olympics, instead having to be called Chinese Taipei. It seems too many countries are scared of doing business with Taiwan or recognising Taiwan as to not dent relationships with China.

At the end of the day they have their own democracy, open elections, own currency. Declaration of Independance would be very dangerous in my opinion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Chinese ambassador to UK giving news conference in London. Making it very clear, as if it really needed spelling out, that if situation cannot be brought under control by HK authorities then China central government 'will not sit back and watch'. Also accusing western media in polite yet ominous tones of 'pouring oil on flames' of unrest.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Chinese ambassador to UK giving news conference in London. Making it very clear, as if it really needed spelling out, that if situation cannot be brought under control by HK authorities then China central government 'will not sit back and watch'. Also accusing western media in polite yet ominous tones of 'pouring oil on flames' of unrest.

How many PL teams are owned by Chinese ? Easy sanctions to grab headlines but otherwise we are powerless

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here