Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hong Kong - Hoping For The Best But Expecting The Worst

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some real brave kids putting their lives and liberty on the line in HK. Sadly, can't be very long before a hugely major clampdown from the mainland. If there's any NSCers out there, please take care and stay safe.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another Tiananmen Square standoff coming up?

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Chair of Foreign Affairs Select Committee has suggested we offer citizenship to all Hong Kong Chinese. I’d in inclined to agree with him. We should have done this back when the handover happened but it is at least something now. We let HK down, and China won’t listen to us diplomatically ...

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Chair of Foreign Affairs Select Committee has suggested we offer citizenship to all Hong Kong Chinese. I’d in inclined to agree with him. We should have done this back when the handover happened but it is at least something now. We let HK down, and China won’t listen to us diplomatically ...

We'll do nothing that will vaguely antagonise the Chinese government. Neither will anyone else. Those protesters are on their own. Best of luck to all of them

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
China is untouchable. Will and can deal with it how they want knowing that no country will stand up to them.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I know a woman who is hoping to take her mothers ashes back to Hong Kong very soon. Her father was in the Navy and married a Hong Kong girl. I hope things calm down for her.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

We didn't really have a choice. Hong Kong was never ours but just on a 99 year lease. Communism wasn't a thing when we arranged that, and although we tried to negotiate when we left, we didn't have that much clout.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Very worrying scenes.

[tweet]1160947525442056193[/tweet]

I was due to spend a week or so in Hong Kong as part of wider travels in November (and pop over the border into China) - Now we are quickly moving towards skipping it and spending a bit longer in South Korea.

A real shame personally, but on a wider scale I just can't see how it is going to work out positively for HK. Applause to those standing up for their freedom, it really is quite admirable, but a fair portion of blame has to lie with the UK and a lack of long-term planning around HK's future.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Very worrying scenes.

[tweet]1160947525442056193[/tweet]

I was due to spend a week or so in Hong Kong as part of wider travels in November (and pop over the border into China) - Now we are quickly moving towards skipping it and spending a bit longer in South Korea.

A real shame personally, but on a wider scale I just can't see how it is going to work out positively for HK. Applause to those standing up for their freedom, it really is quite admirable, but a fair portion of blame has to lie with the UK and a lack of long-term planning around HK's future.

How is the UK to blame?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Scary stuff this. Having loads of discussions with colleagues in HK, they are very, very scared. Several of those with an ‘easy’ option (expats in particular) seriously looking at how they can leave.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
How is the UK to blame?

I am talking about a historical, causal (part) blame. Obviously, what is happening right now is all about China's "democratic" policy and their frightening "my penis is bigger than yours" foreign policy.

The original lease only being signed "casually" for 99 years with the thought that meant forever, might be historical but is still pretty stupid and ultimately is the cause of all of this. Furthermore to that, despite talking about it for the first eighty-years of the "lease", Britain didn't ever move to make it a permanent deal, instead waiting until the eighties for negotiations about the future of Hong Kong to be given political thought. The post-1997 SAR status of HK may have worked in the short-term but it has always been a ticking time bomb of when China wants it, it will take it.

In the process of HK's anglification, Britain should at the very least have secured the rights of Hong Kongers as British Citizens. It is so naive to be pushing for this now, and not during the 22 years when tensions were lower (1997-2019).

I do understand that hindsight is the best tool for pointing out historical errors, but it is clear that we could've done a lot better at securing rights for the people of Hong Kong (a lot of whom feel more British than Chinese).

This is well worth a watch as to why/what the British historical influence is in HK and why returning it to China was always going to be trouble.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
It's incredible that the Chinese haven't stepped in more Tiananmen-style yet. I fear that's the only conceivable endgame. We can but hope. The resistance, the non-violent bit especially, is impressive.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I am talking about a historical, causal (part) blame. Obviously, what is happening right now is all about China's "democratic" policy and their frightening "my penis is bigger than yours" foreign policy.

The original lease only being signed "casually" for 99 years with the thought that meant forever, might be historical but is still pretty stupid and ultimately is the cause of all of this. Furthermore to that, despite talking about it for the first eighty-years of the "lease", Britain didn't ever move to make it a permanent deal, instead waiting until the eighties for negotiations about the future of Hong Kong to be given political thought. The post-1997 SAR status of HK may have worked in the short-term but it has always been a ticking time bomb of when China wants it, it will take it.

In the process of HK's anglification, Britain should at the very least have secured the rights of Hong Kongers as British Citizens. It is so naive to be pushing for this now, and not during the 22 years when tensions were lower (1997-2019).

I do understand that hindsight is the best tool for pointing out historical errors, but it is clear that we could've done a lot better at securing rights for the people of Hong Kong (a lot of whom feel more British than Chinese).

This is well worth a watch as to why/what the British historical influence is in HK and why returning it to China was always going to be trouble.

It is done, a lot of the HK populace at the time wanted to leave UK duristiction. The UK right now has NO blame and does not need to intefere except by verbal condemnation.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Very complex situation. China cant go to hard as that would create heavy obstacles in their plan to absorb Taiwan, where people will be very concerned with the Chinese inability to respect their deal with Hong Kong. Plus - while no one would challenge China for several reasons - this would probably create issues when dealing with (or rather in) the Western world.

I think China will flex their muscles but not use them, and things will return to some sort of status quo while mainland China slowly infiltrate Hong Kong bureacracy and policys.

Xi Jinping is completely crazy by the way, and in some way that is going to turn into a catastrophy. But not quite now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here