Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Athletic

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I got an email saying that I was going to be charged £59.99 despite having signed up in the half price offer.

I was in two minds about it anyway so I’ve cancelled before it’s due. There is some good stuff on there (Not Naylor’s) but not for me.

Yes I would like a Sunday morning to have time to research and read whats on there before committing. I do not like companies also that put the onus on you to cancel rather than, sign up here, once an offer is over.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I got an email saying that I was going to be charged £59.99 despite having signed up in the half price offer.

I was in two minds about it anyway so I’ve cancelled before it’s due. There is some good stuff on there (Not Naylor’s) but not for me.

They sent a follow up email saying that was a mistake and those that signed up in the 50% off will be charged £24.99... mine went through yesterday I think

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
They sent a follow up email saying that was a mistake and those that signed up in the 50% off will be charged £24.99... mine went through yesterday I think

Yes - I got that... before they charged me £59.99 anyway. Obviously I've sent them a very polite email pointing out the error and asking for the £30 back!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Just set a reminder to cancel before payment kicks in.

Can'y you just cancel now and still enjoy the rest of the free trial period. That's how it's always worked on other free trials I've signed up for.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Any updates from subscribers? Have you found it worth it, are the quality of articles and analysis worth the money, if you're only interested in consuming BHA / BHA loan player articles?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Any updates from subscribers? Have you found it worth it, are the quality of articles and analysis worth the money, if you're only interested in consuming BHA / BHA loan player articles?

I kept it in the end - as it was half-price and I was curious to see how it develops.

TBH, I don't think I'll ever read it enought to warrant paying full-price. I don't care enough about quotes from our youth team star midfielder's geography teacher etc.

Also, the curatation of the Albion page is a little odd. It's mostly Albion stories, of course - or, at least, features mentioning the Albion, or quoting our players.

But then there's an incongruous article about John Barnes and racism. Weird.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They seem to be undertaking quite shady advertising, which is following me bloody everywhere.

I've seen the "only hours left" ad alongside their seemingly perma-50% off promo a few times, so I just followed through FB's ad transparency stuff and they've been running it since September 25th.

Not cool.

Screenshot 2019-10-16 at 22.40.45.png

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The recent Steve Coppell piece was an excellent long read. This is both a strength and a weakness. You need both the time and inclination to get value from this.

Having paid a subscription, it is good to avoid all the nagwear and crap ads. Something I have been reluctant to do with UK newspapers. The Argus subscription was crap and the nationals imply some level of support for their political stances.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
They seem to be undertaking quite shady advertising, which is following me bloody everywhere.

I've seen the "only hours left" ad alongside their seemingly perma-50% off promo a few times, so I just followed through FB's ad transparency stuff and they've been running it since September 25th.

Not cool.

View attachment 116224

Only 10,000 hours left!

If anyone is thinking of subscribing, you might as well wait until Black Friday now. They did a big offer in the US last year, apparently. Don't know if it was more than 50%, mind.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Subscribed to The Athletic and enjoy it a lot and read regularly. However do think the full price subscription is too much (£30 seems about the right price) and wished the sidebar of the website had less NFL stuff in as couldn't give a monkey's about that.

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire

I would say probably not worth it if you're only interested in Albion stuff. Naylor's stuff is good but there's not enough to make it worthwhile. There are some really interesting articles though. Michael Cox's tactical analyses are really good and there have been some historic and behind-the-scenes stuff that were good reads and I don't think you'd find anywhere else.

I agree with others that say £30 is about right.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here