Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Athletic

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Thanks for the replies, I had a weak moment and subscribed...

Excellent article today on Potter’s approach
- I'll see if I can find the article.

I think it is worth it, but I struggle to find the time to read the articles I would like to.
- This is my worry, I've set a reminder to review at the end of the 1 year period, and will cancel if I'm not using that often.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Is it just me or does naylor ( i don't subscribe) seem to have all the interesting 'scoops' - i give you the McAllister visa update and how he is viewed at the club and this mornings news about club wanting a glenn replacement in Jan window.

Admittedly none of it going to win a Pulitzer but Brian Owen doesn't seem (to me anyway) to get any of this stuff?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is it just me or does naylor ( i don't subscribe) seem to have all the interesting 'scoops' - i give you the McAllister visa update and how he is viewed at the club and this mornings news about club wanting a glenn replacement in Jan window.

Admittedly none of it going to win a Pulitzer but Brian Owen doesn't seem (to me anyway) to get any of this stuff?

He developed a good working relationship with the club whilst at The Argus, and Naylor became the club's de facto method of communicating with the fans on matters it couldn't / wouldn't comment on itself directly.

It does seem slightly strange that the club seem to have continued in this fashion when very few Albion fans will have visibility of what sits behind The Athletic paywall.

Whilst it's obvious why this works well for Naylor, it doesn't strike me as particularly good for the club if they want to be getting their word out.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He developed a good working relationship with the club whilst at The Argus, and Naylor became the club's de facto method of communicating with the fans on matters it couldn't / wouldn't comment on itself directly.

It does seem slightly strange that the club seem to have continued in this fashion when very few Albion fans will have visibility of what sits behind The Athletic paywall.

Whilst it's obvious why this works well for Naylor, it doesn't strike me as particularly good for the club if they want to be getting their word out.

Seconded

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Completely agree. Can see Naylor has built up the relationships with the various people at the club over the years. But now he's at the Athletic this does mean it cuts off the source for the vast majority of the fans. I wouldn't subscribe just for the odd scoop.

Naylor would be defending his communication lines against Owen and others as his job depends on it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I'm not saying this is necessarily true of the Albion, but many clubs exist in the same world as TV stations and newsdesks and assume that everyone reads and watches everything because they have it all paid for by their organisations. And, being charitable to all concerned, I think they want Mr Naylor to be successful in his new venture, although I don't think there's any doubt about that. Some of the people they have covering other clubs on there are complete muppets.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Would The Athletic be paying the club handsomely for that privilege?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would The Athletic be paying the club handsomely for that privilege?

I'd be surprised.

Or have they done a deal with the EPL so the clubs have no choice ?

I'd be even more surprised at that. If nothing else, The Athletic would be broadcasting its status as "preferred media partner of the Premier League" or similar at every available opportunity to help draw the punters in.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just signed up for £30 for the year, so no need to worry about the cost until next Christmas now. Loving it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
There have been a few good reads recently, including the interviews with Gary Cook and Rob Green. The Brighton stuff is OK but it's a bit dull that it all comes from AN- a bit of variety would be nice.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I subscribe. Checked it out just now, last piece on Brighton was last Wednesday, a "my journey" piece about Glenn (which was OK, by the way).

That's a bit shit really. If I'm paying for this, I want MORE.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I signed up for a year when it launched for about £30. Some of it is great but if, like me, you don't follow any sport except football, its value is dependent on how often and how well they cover your club. Naylor is ok but I won't bother renewing.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I subscribe. Checked it out just now, last piece on Brighton was last Wednesday, a "my journey" piece about Glenn (which was OK, by the way).

That's a bit shit really. If I'm paying for this, I want MORE.

Agreed. Very poor. I won't be renewing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I subscribe; I just don't think Naylor is a great writer (I've also heard him interviewed a couple of times in the last year or so, and he didn't come across as a particularly interesting guest or as having much to say). Still, that isn't a crime, and it is nice to have some longer, more in-depth Albion articles than you would typically get from the Argus.

Having said that, I will definitely continue my subscription as some of the other writing has been excellent. It has definitely helped me keep track over the last 3 months of what was/wasn't/might happen in the post-Covid football world, and there have been some very interesting interviews and articles on various players and managers, past and present, and events or incidents of yore. Well worth the money in my view.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I like NFL so have quite enjoyed it to date.

Naylor is okay, but if he was covering any other club I wouldn’t bother. His actual football knowledge tactically always seems fairly limited, but all opinions.

I’ll probably renew but only joined in February so have some time left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I like NFL so have quite enjoyed it to date.

Naylor is okay, but if he was covering any other club I wouldn’t bother. His actual football knowledge tactically always seems fairly limited, but all opinions.

I’ll probably renew but only joined in February so have some time left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy knows his beat. If you were a supporter of some other clubs where they couldn't tempt the guy from the local paper away and have just employed some kid straight out of journalism college you'd have more cause for complaint.

I originally subscribed because I got a fantastically cheap deal through an NFL/MLB fantasy site, and it's excellent for that. But if I had to pay full price ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here