Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 161
  1. #1
    Members Gully Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    1,241

    The Ambition to being Top 10 club.


    1 Not allowed!
    I Love tony Bloom's ambition and vision for our club. I know the subject of our ground expansion is sometimes a subject that may sound like a broken record.
    But, after Bloom revealed his plans for the future and Paul Barber mentioning the fact we have over 8,000 members on the season ticket waiting list.

    Surely expansion cannot be ruled out indefinitely. Grounds grow to match the identity of the team.
    The day Tony's dream becomes a reality. And that can't be far away given our progress.. I'm just feeling a bit shut out by the situation..

    Is the club going to become just an expensive exclusive business. Only for those who have managed to be one of the lucky 27K or so STH.
    The club pride themselves on being able to cater for as many supporters as they can. Is that philosaphy going to slowly become not possible as the club grows.

    Any thoughts on Tony's ambition, and what we need to become to be a recognised top 10 club.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2

      8 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gully Forever View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

      Is the club going to become just an expensive exclusive business.

      I think it already is
    • #3

      7 Not allowed!
      We need to buy the site at Black Rock and get planning permission for a 50,000 seater stadium. Then we need to expand the Volks Railway to cope with the increase in demand and re-route the park and rides. It would be easier to get people ferried directly to Brighton station post match, you could line buses up on the a259 and plenty of people could just walk back to town. It's sustainable, it uses up the wasteland down there, reduces the demand on the trains and when it comes to the big European nights we can really intimidate the opposition coach on its approach to the stadium. Anfield Road style!
    • #4
      Members Mustafa's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Hove
      Posts
      13,516


      2 Not allowed!
      If we have serious ambitions of establishing ourselves as a top 10 club, we would need to be playing in a bigger stadium, simple as.

      An expansion to 40,000 would be great if possible... but if we are a top half Premier League side in 10 years time, we would want to be playing in a 50-60k stadium ideally.

      A significant expansion of the Amex is surely possible... but presumably it's a huge, expensive project. Not going to happen anytime soon. I suppose the plan is to try become a top 10 team first, and then worry about expanding.
    • #5
      Members Wozza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      In your face
      Posts
      17,790


      12 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gully Forever View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Surely expansion cannot be ruled out indefinitely.
      It will be unless there's an infrastructure miracle.

      I'm just feeling a bit shut out by the situation.
      Tickets still remain for the West Ham match on Saturday.

      Was pretty easy to get them for the Man City game at the end of last season too.
      I listen to bands that don't even exist yet.
    • #6
      Members Gully Forever's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2011
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      1,241


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We need to buy the site at Black Rock and get planning permission for a 50,000 seater stadium. Then we need to expand the Volks Railway to cope with the increase in demand and re-route the park and rides. It would be easier to get people ferried directly to Brighton station post match, you could line buses up on the a259 and plenty of people could just walk back to town. It's sustainable, it uses up the wasteland down there, reduces the demand on the trains and when it comes to the big European nights we can really intimidate the opposition coach on its approach to the stadium. Anfield Road style!

      If only you had Tony's money.
    • #7
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Posts
      17,047


      6 Not allowed!
      One of the problems with expansion (even if it were possible), is that we'd end up with a, say, 50,000 capacity stadium that we couldn't always fill - especially if we dropped back into the Championship and Peterborough came calling on a Tuesday night in January. Nothing worse than a big ground that's less than 20% full.

      However I have the ideal and totally practical answer to the expansion problem - build two stadiums! Let's build a huge great ****-off 50,000 capacity stadium at Waterhall, complete with train station and underground car parks, for when we're doing well, but keep the Amex which we can switch back to if we struggle. Makes perfect sense! In fact, let's make it 60,000 capacity, no point in half-measures.

    • #8
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      51,814


      12 Not allowed!
      The simple solutions are always the easiest.

      Tunnel under the stadium, back excavate under the current stands and build 4 new stands.
      Hydraulically drop the pitch, 50,000 stadium when things are good.
      Raise the pitch to its current position for the fallow years.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

      .
    • #9

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gully Forever View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      If only you had Tony's money.
      It's better for me that I don't.

      I'd pump a lot of cash into the local economy in other ways. Overall, it's better in Tony's pocket than mine. I have nothing like his self control.
    • #10
      Members Nixonator's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Location
      Shoreham Beach
      Posts
      6,323


      2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It will be unless there's an infrastructure miracle.



      Tickets still remain for the West Ham match on Saturday.

      Was pretty easy to get them for the Man City game at the end of last season too.
      Well, as I mentioned on another thread, PB took the question a little bit more seriously this time round.

      Usually Tony, Paul or Martin would just dismiss it as an impossibility, further down the line they would say maybe we can put in 100 or so extra but no more (which they already did).

      At this year's fan forum, it seemed as if PB was intimating that we might be able to squeeze a hell of a lot more than a couple hundred in, but dismissed a second tier on the north.

      In regards to the op's question, you say we're not far away but Tony has specifically stated that just reaching 10th once (which would be fantastic enough already) is not the aim. The aim is an ambitious one, to be perceived and recognised as a consistent top half club. That will take a long time and is extremely challenging.

      If we get anywhere near that goal, you can absolutely guarantee we will look into serious investment to expand. People taking the 'impossibility' of the structure/roof issue a bit too literally, it will just take tens of millions of pounds with not much in the way of immediate return.
      Last edited by Nixonator; 13-08-2019 at 14:39.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •