Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

A cycling/driving/insurance conundrum

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all.
    Not wishing to stoke the flames of the cycling/driving debate (too much) just wanting to get some thoughts from the NSC collective about an incident that has happened today.

The AITN family run a small convenience store in a village in the Pennines. We live above the shop and park our car nearby.
    This morning I cycled into the nearest town for a doctors appointment. As I returned an ambulance was just pulling in front of the shop. An old guy had been knocked off of his bike. Unfortunately he has ended up scratching and denting the side of our car when he fell. Fortunately (and really the most important part) he has no broken bones and just a couple of small cuts but is suffering from a bit of shock. His bike is a right off. The car that hit him initially drove off but they returned before the ambulance left and I now have all their details. The cyclist has been taken to hospital for a check up but is expected to be ok.
    I dont want to sound too mercenary or uncaring but our thoughts have now turned to who is responsible for paying for the damage to our car.
    I reckon the reasonable costs for repairs would be in the region of £400 at a local bodyshop. Probably triple that if it went through insurance.
    I am loathed to contact our insurance because as soon as they know we have been "involved" in an accident, bang goes our no claims bonus and as we also insure a van for the business they will soon get their money back from us. (im not a fan of car insurance companies. A neccesary evil)
    So who pays? Do we just have to take it on the chin? Do we go through our insurance? Do we go through the small claims court to get the cyclist to pay (or just ask him nicely) explaining that he will be able to claim it back from the car driver? Or should I contact the other driver (Another older guy) and ask him to pay?
    Any advice gratefully received. I wont be able to answer straight away as I have to go back to work but will be back on NSC this evening.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      If I was that cyclist and you asked me to pay I'll tell you to go f*** yourself.

Talk about adding insult to injury!
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

4 Not allowed!
      correct procedure seems to claim from the person who did the damage, if they have a claim on others, thats for them to pursue.

or you claim on your fully comp insurance. its a sad state of affairs the first thing we think of is avoiding this, when its the entire point of having it.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
      Members

3 Not allowed!
      Err. Surely there is no claim against the cyclist, as although they hit the car, it was in no way their fault. The claim is surely against the car driver. Further damage like this is a natural consequence of the drivers mistake. I'd try and get in contact with them. It's possible they will be happy to keep the insurance companies out of this matter

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      You have insurance for a reason. If it benefits you make a claim, end.
      Simon Jordan, "Palace could be the Manchester United of the South" - That is why I love having the gypsies as our rivals

1 Not allowed!
      Insurance is there to be used in cases like this, no point having it if you aren't going to use it!. Your insurance company should pursue the drivers insurance if they were to blame, or you can contact the drivers insurance company directly. The driver may already have given your details to their insurance company as your vehicle was damaged as a result of his accident. Had the situation been other driver hits a car or motorcycle which inturn hits yours then thats what you would do.

4 Not allowed!
      What was the bike?
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Err. Surely there is no claim against the cyclist, as although they hit the car, it was in no way their fault. The claim is surely against the car driver. Further damage like this is a natural consequence of the drivers mistake. I'd try and get in contact with them. It's possible they will be happy to keep the insurance companies out of this matter

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
      I'm not sure that's how it works. If you're in a queue of traffic for example, and someone hits you from behind and you therefore shunt into the car in front of you and so on - you have to claim against the person that hit you and the person you shunted into claims against you etc.
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Albion in the north View Post
      The AITN family run a small convenience store in a village in the Pennines
      100% UNOFFICIAL WHC Statistician
      100% Honey Badgerista

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by nickbrighton View Post
      Insurance is there to be used in cases like this, no point having it if you aren't going to use it!. Your insurance company should pursue the drivers insurance if they were to blame, or you can contact the drivers insurance company directly. The driver may already have given your details to their insurance company as your vehicle was damaged as a result of his accident. Had the situation been other driver hits a car or motorcycle which inturn hits yours then thats what you would do.
      I agree. The damage to your car was a direct result from the cyclist being hit by that car.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.