Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] MPs: Hands free mobiles should be banned.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This will all be about cultural change - it won’t stop everyone but it will stop some and if this means one less death then it will have been worth it. I would imagine if you had an accident your insurance company would be looking at whether you were on phone and if so then probably not pay out. Most large companies now all phone use including hands free phone use when on company business or in a company vehicle.

Um, there seems to be a crucial word missing from your last sentence. '...now BAN all phone use...' presumably? Tho most large companies in my recent experience where middle managers have to cover large distances on motorways - often for no real reason at all other than showing their face in distance outposts of their business empire for political reasons - are fully expected to participate in conference calls. Hard to envisage them suddenly stopping doing this, now that mobile have shackled most business types to being available 24/7. Businesses have, quite wrongly IMHO, come to expect that as the new normal.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Depends on the passenger and the conversation.

Anyway, in Faversham it is still commonplace to see people driving one handed while talking into a phone. Probably explains why most people here don't bother using their indicators.

I thought a few Favershamers were born with extra digits, rather like many of the locals where I live.
Should be pretty proficient with their fingers, although down here if you castigate someone for dodgy driving, the recipients usually reply using only two fingers or if you are extra lucky, an onanistic fist gesticulation.:D

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Science: Global warming is real.
The Majority of under 60s: Yes. Listen to science or you are an idiot.

Science: Having a handsfree conversation on your mobile is dangerous.
The Majority of under 60s: What nonsense.

But the scientific research has concluded that passengers are more likely to cause an accident than hands free phone calls so the RAC bloke on the radio said this morning.

Personally I would have said it would have been changing radio/music or setting the sat nav. Have hands free with voice control in my car using it isn't dangerous at all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don’t see why people get so arsey about this. If it’s proven to be equally dangerous then ban it - I don’t have a problem with that at all.

Are we now on a world where people have to be contactable 24/7 with a mobile only to howl when they are denied this?

How on earth did we cope before the invention of mobile phones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had radio contact. Have you been out in the car for work and then told to go to another job whilst you're out? The controls are on the steering wheel as is the radio.
You use a thumb to press the green phone which automatically answers the phone which is on bluetooth.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
But the scientific research has concluded that passengers are more likely to cause an accident than hands free phone calls so the RAC bloke on the radio said this morning.

Personally I would have said it would have been changing radio/music or setting the sat nav. Have hands free with voice control in my car using it isn't dangerous at all.

Obviously kids are the worst distraction of all but you can't ban them from cars.
Speaking on the a handsfree phone is proven to be much more dangerous than listening to a radio. Having a conversation if they are not a passanger requires a lot more concentration and so is a bigger distraction.
For example if I was sitting next to you in the passanger seat and wasn't interested in anything you had to say you would know this because with a split second glance you would see me staring out of the passenger's window. On the phone your brain has to work out if the other person is listening and that is the distraction.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
What about when a phone is being used as a sat-nav?
I think this is the crux of the matter. I bet some top MP owns TomTom or something else and his profits have dropped since Google, Waze, Michelin et al give you directions on your phone...

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Are deaf people banned from talking to each other in a car?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The organisations who’ve researched this are probably right.

Whilst immersed in any call whilst driving (no matter how amazing a driver you rate yourself .... all men :smile: ), looking back, you realise that you’ve just driven a mile or two, handled junctions, all unknowingly and secondary to the subject of the phone conversation.

Proof, if ever it were needed, that we can multi-task ....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
What about taxi-drivers and lorry drivers using CB radios - how are they any different to a hands-free mobile phone conversation?

I recall a few years back someone was prosecuted for driving whilst eating an apple - driving without due care and attention ....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are already systems that are in use to identify 3G / 4G signals and determine if a mobile phone in an approaching vehicle is receiving / transmitting. However they are of slightly limited value as of course they cannot determine WHO in the car is using the phone (and as such have only to date been used to control warning signs as a 'reminder' to the car user - much like the angry face signs when you pass a sensor doing 33mph in a 30 zone).
Drivers who cannot survive more than two minutes without being glued to their phone will have to make sure they're always carrying a passenger then!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think this is the crux of the matter. I bet some top MP owns TomTom or something else and his profits have dropped since Google, Waze, Michelin et al give you directions on your phone...

We went to a house warming party in Southwater a couple of months ago. Despite keeping up with updates on our satnav, the house didn't show up. I put their address into my phone, the contact showed me a Google map straight away and we used my phone for directions, which were spot on.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Obviously kids are the worst distraction of all but you can't ban them from cars.
Speaking on the a handsfree phone is proven to be much more dangerous than listening to a radio. Having a conversation if they are not a passanger requires a lot more concentration and so is a bigger distraction.
For example if I was sitting next to you in the passanger seat and wasn't interested in anything you had to say you would know this because with a split second glance you would see me staring out of the passenger's window. On the phone your brain has to work out if the other person is listening and that is the distraction.

Most conversations really don't involve actively trying to work out whether the other person is paying attention to you or not, so I can't say I'd expend an awful lot of "concentration" on wondering whether the person on the other end of the line is listening. I'd just interrogate them thoroughly upon my arrival.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What about taxi-drivers and lorry drivers using CB radios - how are they any different to a hands-free mobile phone conversation?

I recall a few years back someone was prosecuted for driving whilst eating an apple - driving without due care and attention ....

Seeing as how it was an RAC spokesman talking about it, how would they know where to go to a breakdown without a radio/handsfree communication of some kind?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
MPs: Hands free mobiles should be banned.

Poses the question are MPs using hands free mobiles more dangerous than the rest of us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here