Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] MPs: Hands free mobiles should be banned.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Jesus if that happens it’s only a matter of time before talking to a passenger in the car gets banned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Given that it's been proven to be as dangerous as using a hand held mobile, of course it should. Talking to a passenger isn't the same.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Given that it's been proven to be as dangerous as using a hand held mobile, of course it should. Talking to a passenger isn't the same.
RAC research has proven other passengers are still the biggest distraction and have caused more accidents than mobiles. The government can’t fine you for having passengers so they will side with the phone ban.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
All a bit academic as there isn't the resources to enforce the ban on handhelds judging by the amount I see every day. This would be even more difficult to enforce. How could anyone tell from looking whether you're using a hands free, talking to a passenger or singing along to the radio ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All a bit academic as there isn't the resources to enforce the ban on handhelds judging by the amount I see every day. This would be even more difficult to enforce. How could anyone tell from looking whether you're using a hands free, talking to a passenger or singing along to the radio ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I see people texting or on the phone while driving everyday. :down:

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In car entertainment should be wiped out full stop, the only soundtrack you need is a big pair of Weber carburettors :)

Modern cars just cocoon people, ICE and technology just makes matters worse, a majority of drivers are oblivious to most of what's going on outside their own little shell..

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
When you see drivers having an animated chat on hands-free, gesticulating wildly and veins in the neck pumping (whether it be a domestic situation or work issue) then this makes sense.

Not focused on the matter in hand.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Don’t see why people get so arsey about this. If it’s proven to be equally dangerous then ban it - I don’t have a problem with that at all.

Are we now on a world where people have to be contactable 24/7 with a mobile only to howl when they are denied this?

How on earth did we cope before the invention of mobile phones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

In respect that is simply untrue. To contextualise, the report I have read only deals with the conversation aspect and distraction, not the fumbling about involved if a person illegally uses just a phone. Dialling or answering a non hand's free mobile is simply idiotic and one wouldn't see the road, which is not the case hands free. The government will never ban hands free.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

is there a source for this, that has had a control of talking to a passengers for comparison? or how about dealing with the screaming kids in the back?

problem with banning mobile use is i cant see how can you possibly police it fairly, so makes for poor law.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Depends on the passenger and the conversation.

Anyway, in Faversham it is still commonplace to see people driving one handed while talking into a phone. Probably explains why most people here don't bother using their indicators.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Please could you explain how it’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess the biggest difference is that a car passenger can see what's going on in and outside the vehicle, so knows when the driver needs to concentrate (i.e. when to shut up). If you're on the phone to someone banging their gums, they probably won't know if you're stuck in traffic, driving down a clear motorway or hooning around country lanes... :shrug:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I find it strange that the current Toyota Aygo TV commercial is all about connectivity with text messages being read out to the driver. No doubt this should fall under the ban. given the distraction a driver would have experienced when hearing as that's the third for the Albion on Saturday.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The organisations who’ve researched this are probably right.

Whilst immersed in any call whilst driving (no matter how amazing a driver you rate yourself .... all men :smile: ), looking back, you realise that you’ve just driven a mile or two, handled junctions, all unknowingly and secondary to the subject of the phone conversation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All a bit academic as there isn't the resources to enforce the ban on handhelds judging by the amount I see every day. This would be even more difficult to enforce. How could anyone tell from looking whether you're using a hands free, talking to a passenger or singing along to the radio?

I'm sure there are devices which can detect whether a mobile phone is being used. Useful revenue stream for cash-strapped police forces who then may be able to employ sufficient coppers to catch burglars, muggers, etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here