Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] MPs: Hands free mobiles should be banned.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Acknowledging that confirmation bias, often means you see, what you want to see. I am not sure that the statistics below support the conclusion. However long term decline, corresponds to better vehicle safety design, so it is possible, that the problem is being masked here. I also accept that ANY fatalities that are preventable are one too many.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7615

My personal bug bear is not hands free technology, but the people who can clearly afford to invest in it, but choose not to, or are too lazy to work out, how to use it. When you see people driving along in a £30K + car, clasping their mobile, it really grates with me.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Don’t see why people get so arsey about this. If it’s proven to be equally dangerous then ban it - I don’t have a problem with that at all.

Are we now on a world where people have to be contactable 24/7 with a mobile only to howl when they are denied this?

How on earth did we cope before the invention of mobile phones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Science: Global warming is real.
The Majority of under 60s: Yes. Listen to science or you are an idiot.

Science: Having a handsfree conversation on your mobile is dangerous.
The Majority of under 60s: What nonsense.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm sure there are devices which can detect whether a mobile phone is being used. Useful revenue stream for cash-strapped police forces who then may be able to employ sufficient coppers to catch burglars, muggers, etc.

I don't think this is where the push will come from in the next few years. The technology in cars, will soon be able to provide multiple indicators to your insurers, if you have been driving "carelessly", when involved in an accident and I think they will move rapidly to limit their exposure. The slap on the wrist from the courts/police is nothing compared to a full on personal injury claim.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think this is where the push will come from in the next few years. The technology in cars, will soon be able to provide multiple indicators to your insurers, if you have been driving "carelessly", when involved in an accident and I think they will move rapidly to limit their exposure. The slap on the wrist from the courts/police is nothing compared to a full on personal injury claim.

Good point. I imagine that if the insurers find a way to check if you were on your mobile at he time of the crash, they will be all over it - and save themselves a fortune by being able to reject claims. All those outgoings saved should lead to lower premiums for the rest of us ....................................

.................... oh.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
I guess the biggest difference is that a car passenger can see what's going on in and outside the vehicle, so knows when the driver needs to concentrate (i.e. when to shut up). If you're on the phone to someone banging their gums, they probably won't know if you're stuck in traffic, driving down a clear motorway or hooning around country lanes... :shrug:

Try telling that to my mother-in-law. Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit non stop no matter what the situation.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
These days many people can’t function unless there using their mobile phones, you see people get in the car after the super market run and initiate a call, no doubt to bother someone with a totally inanely dull story or that they will be with that person in 5 minutes!

Ive been on hands free from Falmer all the way to Shoreham and it dawned on me only when I arrived at the destination (Red Lion) that I didn’t recall going through the tunnel.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I find it strange that the current Toyota Aygo TV commercial is all about connectivity with text messages being read out to the driver. No doubt this should fall under the ban. given the distraction a driver would have experienced when hearing as that's the third for the Albion on Saturday.
The only thing I miss about my Windows phone is the fight between Cortana and my car to read out text messages. Cortana always won but it didn't stop the car reading it out as well. Until the day I asked Cortana why she wasn't as good as Siri, she said "Ouch" and then never spoke to me again. :)

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
This will all be about cultural change - it won’t stop everyone but it will stop some and if this means one less death then it will have been worth it. I would imagine if you had an accident your insurance company would be looking at whether you were on phone and if so then probably not pay out. Most large companies now all phone use including hands free phone use when on company business or in a company vehicle.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have removed all my German friends from my contacts. I now have a Hans free phone.

D

Deleted member 22389

Think it's a good idea. There is no reason whatsoever to be using a mobile whilst driving, unless it's an emergency.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Think it's a good idea. There is no reason whatsoever to be using a mobile whilst driving, unless it's an emergency.

Not even when you want to talk to you Italian nephew about Brexit?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Good point. I imagine that if the insurers find a way to check if you were on your mobile at he time of the crash, they will be all over it - and save themselves a fortune by being able to reject claims. All those outgoings saved should lead to lower premiums for the rest of us ....................................

.................... oh.
Establishing you were on a mobile is technically not that difficult, but legally much harder for insurers to do and may not be a priority for policing. Establishing whether you were driving within the speed limits, will be very simple in all new cars and this is going to be where the biggest impact will be felt.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Cars will mostly be self driving within a few years so this will cease to be an issue. Tesla are already planning to stream Netflix whilst driving on Autopilot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cars will mostly be self driving within a few years so this will cease to be an issue. Tesla are already planning to stream Netflix whilst driving on Autopilot.
If using phones (and even watching Netflix) is going to be acceptable in self-driving cars, will I be allowed to get my new self-driving car to drive me out to a nice country pub on a summer evening and drive me home after a few pints?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm sure there are devices which can detect whether a mobile phone is being used. Useful revenue stream for cash-strapped police forces who then may be able to employ sufficient coppers to catch burglars, muggers, etc.

There are already systems that are in use to identify 3G / 4G signals and determine if a mobile phone in an approaching vehicle is receiving / transmitting. However they are of slightly limited value as of course they cannot determine WHO in the car is using the phone (and as such have only to date been used to control warning signs as a 'reminder' to the car user - much like the angry face signs when you pass a sensor doing 33mph in a 30 zone).

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If using phones (and even watching Netflix) is going to be acceptable in self-driving cars, will I be allowed to get my new self-driving car to drive me out to a nice country pub on a summer evening and drive me home after a few pints?

When they are fully autonomous, probably.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here