Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Gambling

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Except, many people unluckily have a propensity to addictive behaviour. Gambling can wipe them out financially in minutes, possibly taking their families with them too, losing almost everything, over and over again.

The industry should always be heavily regulated, to help reduce those catastrophic consequences and to suck in fewer punters e.g. the young.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Except, many people unluckily have a propensity to addictive behaviour. Gambling can wipe them out financially in minutes, possibly taking their families with them too, losing almost everything, over and over again.

The industry should always be heavily regulated, to help reduce those catastrophic consequences and to suck in fewer punters e.g. the young.

Be an adult and resist. Simple. If you cant it aint the bookies fault.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We go again. This no mark has decided that tens of thousands of medical professionals are wrong and gambling is not an addiction. Stay away from this one people.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We go again. This no mark has decided that tens of thousands of medical professionals are wrong and gambling is not an addiction. Stay away from this one people.

Yeah, I think this is one of those threads where it's just not worth bothering. He (or she, although I'm almost certain it's a he) appears to have a very simplistic view of life.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yeah, I think this is one of those threads where it's just not worth bothering. He (or she, although I'm almost certain it's a he) appears to have a very simplistic view of life.
It is literally the same thread. His father had a problem so he is right. The end. Any discourse and you are wasting your time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

...in the same way it wouldn’t be the barman’s fault if I drank myself to death in the pub ?

Firstly, it’s an addiction so those suffering simply can’t exercise sufficient self control to stop (read the example in the article)

Secondly, the industry should have stronger measures in place to recognise where people may be drifting into problems (stopping accounts - at least temporarily pending contact with the punter - when % of turnover or stakes increases for example) rather than a glib ‘when the fun stops stops catchphrase.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’m personally lucky, as I’ve never been addicted to anything harmful. Pure luck. Sounds like you might be the same, without realising it’s lucky that you have that willpower?

Loads of other folk aren’t so fortunate. It might because of nature or nurture, it doesn’t matter why, but this is one example where a nanny state is required to intervene.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The main complaints are about failing to payout on winnings.

They reserve the right to withhold winnings when they suspect that you are not a standard punter.
This is a big grey area, but once the bookie has accepted your money, they should be legally bound to pay out on that bet.

A lot of us on here do matched betting and fall foul of terms and conditions that seem to contradict the implication on the marketing of certain offers.
This is standard for many online bookies, whether by accident or by design .
Many retail businesses are expected to honour their marketing errors, rather than refer their customers to some small print.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Seriously? I’m quite offended by the opening post as someone who has recently realised that I gamble little amounts but too often which causes stress on not just me but the people around me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The main complaints are about failing to payout on winnings.

They reserve the right to withhold winnings when they suspect that you are not a standard punter.
This is a big grey area, but once the bookie has accepted your money, they should be legally bound to pay out on that bet.

A lot of us on here do matched betting and fall foul of terms and conditions that seem to contradict the implication on the marketing of certain offers.
This is standard for many online bookies, whether by accident or by design .
Many retail businesses are expected to honour their marketing errors, rather than refer their customers to some small print.

Can I digress on to a lighter topic and ask you a question on matched betting. Through your experience, have you found any useful techniques to prevent bookies identifying your account as one to be gubbed?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Can I digress on to a lighter topic and ask you a question on matched betting. Through your experience, have you found any useful techniques to prevent bookies identifying your account as one to be gubbed?

No - I follow all the rules and still get gubbed periodically.
Recently "lost" William Hill , Bet 365 and SKy Bet in one month.. That hurt . Will be setting up accounts in my partner's name in the next couple of weeks

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I enjoy the occasional punt, but even I believe that gambling should be illegal.

It offers absolutely nothing to society. It is an expensive hobby for some, but for others it can destroy lives & families.

As an industry, it contributes very little in the form of tax or employment, relatively speaking. Yet it destroys so many lives and families.

When something is so destructive, it should be banned. People can find better things to do, better things to spend their money on, that benefit both themselves and society considerably more than gambling does.

Without Gambling we probably wouldn't be where we are now.
Tony would probably be a successful business man, but I doubt he would be as wealthy as he now is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here