Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hull fan nearly evicted for texting.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Haven't seen this mentioned.
A Hull City fan was threatened with eviction from the ground when he was seen to be sending too many text messages. An under cover security guard accompanied by club security questioned why a fan was sending texts. He was told to stop or be evicted. The guard worked for Comsec who work on behalf of the Football Data Co who monitor the collection of data. They believed the supporter was informing a betting syndicate of any incidents at the ground when in fact he was texting his family.
If they are under cover in the East Upper then I can imagine 1000 kids being kicked out by half time, meanwhile be careful if you're thinking of updating the 'match day thread' live from the ground. What next, BBC no permitted to give score updates or any opinions on how a game is going?
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-statement-fan-texting-3198585

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A Hull City fan was threatened with eviction from the ground when he was seen to be sending too many text messages. An under cover security guard accompanied by club security questioned why a fan was sending texts. He was told to stop or be evicted. The guard worked for Comsec who work on behalf of the Football Data Co who monitor the collection of data. They believed the supporter was informing a betting syndicate of any incidents at the ground when in fact he was texting his family.
If they are under cover in the East Upper then I can imagine 1000 kids being kicked out by half time, meanwhile be careful if you're thinking of updating the 'match day thread' live from the ground. What next, BBC no permitted to give score updates or any opinions on how a game is going?
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-statement-fan-texting-3198585

Saw this happen at Hove last season during a Championship game.

A couple of young Asian men had a laptop open together with a mobile and were taping away constantly. Two Sussex employees approached the pair and they all walked off towards the pavilion area, never to return.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Saw this happen at Hove last season during a Championship game.

A couple of young Asian men had a laptop open together with a mobile and were taping away constantly. Two Sussex employees approached the pair and they all walked off towards the pavilion area, never to return.

They probably made the foolish mistake of not wearing an anorak, and having a flask of tea and foil-wrapped sandwiches with them.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Good. Don't need fans who don't watch the game. Should be banned as well.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Good. Don't need fans who don't watch the game. Should be banned as well.

I don't think that's what this is about; it's about unauthorised collection of match/player data for commercial reasons. The Hull bloke was probably innocent but stewards are now on the lookout for it. A couple of seasons ago a bloke appeared in the seat next to me in WSU and he was tapping away into his lap-top for the entire match. He was very evasive when I asked him what he was doing.

el punal

I don't think that's what this is about; it's about unauthorised collection of match/player data for commercial reasons. The Hull bloke was probably innocent but stewards are now on the lookout for it. A couple of seasons ago a bloke appeared in the seat next to me in WSU and he was tapping away into his lap-top for the entire match. He was very evasive when I asked him what he was doing.

He was trying to sell some discarded goal nets on eBay. :drink:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Interesting and a bit sinister. They are looking for 'court-siding'. I'd not heard of this until last week's Panorama. The name comes (obviously) from tennis, where you can basically bet online on every point scored. If you have a mate on the phone at the match, they can relay the outcome of the point to you before the umpire has even called it, allowing you to place the in-play bet on a result that has already happened.

The betting companies are apparently employing security at sporting fixtures to counteract it. If they are at Hull City, there must be a whole army of these heavies at every sporting fixture.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm not sure I fully understand this issue. Are they saying that bet in play markets are exclusively for people who either a) have no idea what is going on, or b) are watching on TV with a significant delay? What about live radio commentary - is there a massive delay on that? Is it illegal to bet on your phone if you are at the match?

I can't seem to find much sympathy for the bookies here. If they want to take advantage of technology and a world where people are constantly in touch with all sorts in order to offer addicts all sorts of ludicrous in-play bets, I can't see how they can then try to limit the use of the same technology to inform people's betting. If they are offering a market on something that has, in effect, already happened - then isn't that their problem?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm not sure I fully understand this issue. Are they saying that bet in play markets are exclusively for people who either a) have no idea what is going on, or b) are watching on TV with a significant delay? What about live radio commentary - is there a massive delay on that? Is it illegal to bet on your phone if you are at the match?

I can't seem to find much sympathy for the bookies here. If they want to take advantage of technology and a world where people are constantly in touch with all sorts in order to offer addicts all sorts of ludicrous in-play bets, I can't see how they can then try to limit the use of the same technology to inform people's betting. If they are offering a market on something that has, in effect, already happened - then isn't that their problem?

I think they would say they are trying to protect exchange customers from being stiffed by people actually at the event, rather than those relying on radio, internet, TV or Ceefax. But it stinks, and is only getting harder for them to police. I've seen it happen at the snooker... where a missed shot can have a massive effect on in-play betting.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

TV and radio both have sufficient delay - and the in-play bet cut-offs are geared to those outlets. And yes, it IS their problem which is their motivation for trying to fix it. There is nothing remotely fair about it. They will also ban people who consistently win through their own skill and judgement, just because they can (and because they are b**tards).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here