Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Caroline Lucas, sensible suggestion or sexist nonsense?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The same could be said about the people who she has sent invitations to. She admitted the purpose is to stop Brexit. She (and they) are just as intractable and it is laughable for her to suggest that she is working on a solution and wants to compromise. She is a liar.

Now I know you either a) haven't read her letter, or b) didn't understand it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
and it is laughable for her to suggest that she is working on a solution and wants to compromise. She is a liar.

Whether that is true or not the same could be said of the PM who stated throughout the Leave campaign that we would leave with a deal and is now happily leading us towards a No Deal that nobody voted for (considering that EVERYONE said we would leave with a deal).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sussex, my man, you presume too much. What gave you the impression I was rich? However, carry on with whatever you are doing and I am glad to hear you appear to know your place.
As for Corbyn and McDonnell, I trust they will never get near the levers of power and so I am hoping that I never have to give to give them anything.
PS. Thank heavens we have a very rich owner of the Albion and, if I may offer my learned opinion again, I reckon Uncle Tony may not be too keen on the likes of the Marxist Brothers ,either.:thumbsup:

The only retired, public school Tories from southern England who aren't wealthy are because a mail order bride from Thailand or the former Soviet Union took them to the cleaners when they got divorced. My assumption on wealth was based that you don't seem that type as you come across as smarter, nicer and better than that. I apologise if my outrageous, prejudiced, sweeping generalisation on retired, public school Tories from southern England is in anyway erroneous though.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Sexist if you ask me, imagine if it had been a male leader calling for the same thing in reverse.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rgency-female-cabinet-to-block-no-deal-brexit

This whole Me Too movement has been very positive in calling out some pretty poor behaviour and at the extremes, terrible actions. Whilst on the face of it, I would agree with your sentiment - I'm also making a history film at the moment, and what has quite clearly come to light is that alot of the major **** ups/political incidents in history have come from largely testosterone enabled arrogance. Brexit, especially hard brexit, and the thinking to enable it falls very much in line with that.

So whilst I would be against such a prospect in principle, If it allowed for a reset and a change in dialogue, then I would support it.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"My party has long recognised that trans women are women and trans men are men...I personally still find it very challenging that there is often so much focus on body parts, when a fundamental tenet of my feminism has been that gender is a construct independent of vagina and ovaries." - Caroline Lucas.

So what's the difference between a male or female cabinet then?

Would be interesting to see what Caroline Lucas has to say when 22 MP's with penises declare that they now identify as female and are looking forward to being invited to join her cabinet.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because their all in government with Boris 'No Deal' Johnson?

think the point is there are more opinions that "remain" and "no deal". Lucas' ideal to have cabinet of unity, and being non-tribal, is flawed on both counts by the absence of anyone with a view other than hers.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
think the point is there are more opinions that "remain" and "no deal". Lucas' ideal to have cabinet of unity, and being non-tribal, is flawed on both counts by the absence of anyone with a view other than hers.

Here's the letter.

It is hard to remember a moment in my lifetime when Britain faced a greater crisis. A coup led by a small group of rightwing libertarians is all but complete, as the Vote Leave team has been reassembled and taken control of 10 Downing Street. They are set upon implementing the most extreme no-deal version of Brexit – and, most terrifyingly, we are running out of time to stop them.

At times of national crises political leaders need to bring a country together. But that is not happening. The government is hellbent on creating more divisions, scapegoating our friends and neighbours, and ignoring the inequality and democratic deficit that fuelled the Brexit vote.

It is not only a crash-out Brexit that threatens our future. There’s the climate emergency too, and an unscrupulous leader would have no qualms about manipulating it to justify the sweeping aside of democratic guarantees and people losing their rights. We have to avoid this danger.

Mending our broken democracy should underpin the response to both the Brexit and climate crises – with elected politicians setting aside our political differences in the national interest. When the 16-year-old Greta Thunberg visited Britain earlier this year I convened cross-party talks with her on how to end our climate emergency. The same degree of cooperation is needed to confront what’s happening in the name of Brexit.

We need an “emergency cabinet” – not to fight a Brexit war but to work for reconciliation. And I believe this should be a cabinet of women.

Why women? Because I believe women have shown they can bring a different perspective to crises, are able to reach out to those they disagree with and cooperate to find solutions. It was two women, Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan, who began the Peace People movement during the worst of the Troubles in Northern Ireland; it was two women, Christiana Figueres and Ségolène Royal, who were key to the signing of the Paris climate agreement; intractable problems have found the beginning of resolution thanks to the leadership of women.

So I have reached out to 10 women colleagues from across the political spectrum at Westminster and Holyrood – Conservatives, Liberal Democrats, Labour, the SNP, Plaid Cymru, the Independent Group for Change and independent – asking that we join together to stop the dangerous pursuit of a crash-out Brexit.

This is not an attempt to replace one coup with another. A small group of us should not be deciding on Britain’s future and that is not what lies behind my initiative. But we need to find a way forward that allows the British people to decide which course they want to take.

To begin with that means denying Boris Johnson the reins of power through a no-confidence vote and establishing a national unity government. Political tribalism would likely scupper any moves that are just about putting Jeremy Corbyn in charge. So far the Labour leadership’s reaction has been to suggest they would not work in coalition with other parties, and politicians from some other parties have made clear that they would not serve under his leadership. A government of national unity must do exactly that – unite parties. And I believe that a cross-party cabinet of women has the potential to do exactly that.

We then need to press the pause button in order to organise a confirmatory vote that offers people the choice of the status quo or pressing ahead with the latest government plan – whether that is a revised withdrawal agreement or, as seems more likely, a proposal to leave with no deal.

It also means a commitment that, as politicians, we accept the outcome of that fair, transparent and informed vote, even if it delivers a result we do not agree with.

I believe we can make this happen. I’m asking my colleagues to meet with me in the coming days so together we can transform the conversation about Brexit. So together we can find a positive way forward, revitalise our democracy, and stand up to this government’s reckless gamble with Britain’s future.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think where Lucas is struggling is that most Tories are SO hell bent on No Deal but people still think they can be reasoned with. Corbyn is proving as useless as ever so Lucas clearly thinks something needs to be done. She's probably right considering Johnson knows full well he can sidestep a vote of no confidence, as his staff have said outright on the ****ing news, and we crash out on October 31st (whatever crashing out means).

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sylvia Hermon voted to leave with May's withdrawal agreement. Not sure that was a view shared by Lucas. I doubt she shares many views with Justine Greening either.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This whole Me Too movement has been very positive in calling out some pretty poor behaviour and at the extremes, terrible actions. Whilst on the face of it, I would agree with your sentiment - I'm also making a history film at the moment, and what has quite clearly come to light is that alot of the major **** ups/political incidents in history have come from largely testosterone enabled arrogance. Brexit, especially hard brexit, and the thinking to enable it falls very much in line with that.

So whilst I would be against such a prospect in principle, If it allowed for a reset and a change in dialogue, then I would support it.

Except that she is indulging in the tribalism that she is so keen to point out is the problem. Speaking only with like minded politicians is tribalistic.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
“We are facing the precipice of no deal so we have to shed old ways of working, and fast. Women are by nature less tribal, so I’m very willing to play my part and try.”

Women are bloody awful to one another.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Except that she is indulging in the tribalism that she is so keen to point out is the problem. Speaking only with like minded politicians is tribalistic.

How are Justine Greening and Sylvia Herman like minded!? Or Soubry and Allen for that matter. It’s a spread of MPs and MSP from all parties pretty much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here