Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Caroline Lucas, sensible suggestion or sexist nonsense?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
She has opted for women to focus soley on the task, without all the posturing machismo and willy waving that inevitably would occur otherwise.

If you ever had to deal with those bafoons in Whitehall who spend most of their time name dropping and playing games of 'one up manship' you'd understand her motivation to keep testosterone out of it.

Okay. You have a particular observation and viewpoint. How about another political leader suggested something like 'Let's get a men only team to work out the problems with such and such' or 'Only gay people can work on this' or 'only straight white anglo saxon males' etc etc etc. It is a slippery slope. Personally I do think that the sexes have different strengths but this approach will only cause division, which is the very outcome she purports to be trying to avoid.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
She has opted for women to focus soley on the task, without all the posturing machismo and willy waving that inevitably would occur otherwise.

If you ever had to deal with those bafoons in Whitehall who spend most of their time name dropping and playing games of 'one up manship' you'd understand her motivation to keep testosterone out of it.

And yet every woman she has approached wants us to remain in the EU...hardly reaching out to people with whom they disagree...

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Considering Theresa May is a woman, and didn't make any progress in three years, I fail to see how Caroline Lucas justifies it.

Absolutely this .

( I believe women have shown they can bring a different perspective to crises, are able to reach out to those they disagree with and cooperate to find solutions,” she wrote )

Margaret Thatcher anyone !!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
She has gone completely down in my estimation, she would rather team up with a bunch of austerity backing, lib dem frackers than support a Labour party with genuinely positive policies for the environment. I will no longer be voting for her.

This. It isn’t about stopping Brexit anymore, it’s about stopping Corbyn. I’ve always defended JC on here but have always voted Green. Not sure on the latter anymore as their recent buddy up to those who have supported and enabled austerity really doesn’t sit well with me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
so once this all female committee is formed, how exactly do they become the government? is this playing up for the gallery or a serious proposition of a coup ???

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I do agree however that Anything that prevents Corbyn getting into power can only be a good thing. Hopefully if Labour get trounced in the next election, labour will get rid of Corbyn and the hard left loons and position itself more sensibly and attractively as a moderate left wing alternative to the Conservatives

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
She has gone completely down in my estimation, she would rather team up with a bunch of austerity backing, lib dem frackers than support a Labour party with genuinely positive policies for the environment. I will no longer be voting for her.

Let's be honest; Labour's policies on the environment aren't driven by a desire to make the environment better. It's now 'cool' to be seen as environmentalist

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/labour-leadership-hopeful-jeremy-corbyn-9815780
https://publications.parliament.uk/...111213/debtext/111213-0002.htm#11121397000211 and https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ows-end-nuclear-power-weapons-first-100-days/ - Nuclear power would be the most efficient, cleanest and most reliable source of energy..
https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN06315 - as per this, opposition days means Labour could choose the agenda. They've not done this once...

Truth is, Labour's environmentalism isn't very....environmental.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Okay. You have a particular observation and viewpoint. How about another political leader suggested something like 'Let's get a men only team to work out the problems with such and such' or 'Only gay people can work on this' or 'only straight white anglo saxon males' etc etc etc. It is a slippery slope. Personally I do think that the sexes have different strengths but this approach will only cause division, which is the very outcome she purports to be trying to avoid.

The house has 32% women, government is 20%. It's hardly equal representation in the first instance is it? She is not proposing a subcommittee, or working group that has actual working power and responsibility, she is suggesting a think tank, a group to just share ideas. Gentlemen's only clubs still exist in Whitehall and Mayfair, and there are many of our MPs and top civil servants will be members. Hardly a slippery slope to division asking a group of women to come together to have a chat. Blimey, book clubs around the UK would collapse.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No BAME representation?Sounds just like an EU committee!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I do agree however that Anything that prevents Corbyn getting into power can only be a good thing. Hopefully if Labour get trounced in the next election, labour will get rid of Corbyn and the hard left loons and position itself more sensibly and attractively as a moderate left wing alternative to the Conservatives

The idea that Labour under Corbyn is for ‘hard left loons’ is a sign of political illiteracy that shows how far to the right British politics has lurched. What policies, prey tell are ‘hard left’? Or are they merely no longer just not ‘Tory-lite’?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I can understand that but there are men in Westminster who are capable of debating and bringing ideas to the table without willy waving. I think it is a mistake to rule them out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The house has 32% women, government is 20%. It's hardly equal representation in the first instance is it? She is not proposing a subcommittee, or working group that has actual working power and responsibility, she is suggesting a think tank, a group to just share ideas. Gentlemen's only clubs still exist in Whitehall and Mayfair, and there are many of our MPs and top civil servants will be members. Hardly a slippery slope to division asking a group of women to come together to have a chat. Blimey, book clubs around the UK would collapse.

A valiant defence but no, it is sexist and silly. As others have said, swap women for 'men' and there would be 'outrage'. Swap it for 'black' and it would be 'special pleading'. Substitute it for 'Jew' and it would be 'a conspiracy'. Swap it for 'public school educated, plus their chippy oik fags' and it would be the current cabinet.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

It is hardly the direct 'fault' of the men in the house that there is unequal representation in the house. More due to historic inertia but this has been changing over the past 40 years and I am certainly in favour of fairness. However, there is an almost equal male/female split in the population, and there is nothing to stop a woman going far and rising to the position of MP or even higher office.

Are you really comparing book clubs to a group of influential MP's, I don't think that is valid and the point stands. Can you suggest a parliamentary group that could work together comprising only men, say perhaps one looking into spacial awareness and accidents in the workplace- there is a perception that women don't possess as good spacial awareness as men. That would in your eyes be justified as Lucas is also working from a perception.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here