Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Caroline Lucas, sensible suggestion or sexist nonsense?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The original vote delivered an outcome she doesn't agree with. Why is she still campaigning for a second referendum?

If Kate Hoey wasn't standing down, would Caroline Lucas being inviting her along for discussions I wonder. I doubt it somehow.

I said it yesterday and suffered some attacks! Hey ho, she makes the political choices of the poulation of Brighton look, well, naive.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I don't really want to argue along Tory or Labour lines as I like neither, but stealing people's money is a pretty hard left act in my view.

Gathering enough income through taxation by increasing the ask of the very wealthiest to relieve the burden on the very worse off is not hard left, far from it - A married couple will soon be able to leave £1m in wealth tax free to their children, for many many people that would be largely made up of unearned income by way of the equity in their house, taxing people with over £1m in assets is not 'hard left'.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Lucas is going in a very strange direction, she supports a party that, rightly, supports people to identify however they choose to be they trans, binary or whatever. Key to that is, essentially, treating people as equal, something that many of us would adhere to. I'm not sure, therefore, how she reaches the conclusion that (people who identify as, or born as ?) women are better able to 'reach ou to' and 'cooperate' with those they disagree with than (people who identify as, or born as?) men. She is wrong. Theresa May, Esther McVey, Amber Rudd, Penny Mourdant etc etc all failed so it is just the men to blame?

That Lucas claims that women are 'less tribal' suggest she has never read about, met or spoken to Liz Saville Roberts who is possible the most party political, parochial politician you'll ever know, Nicola Sturgeon may be a close second, nationalists don't tend to be known for their bigger picture outlook. This has all the look and feel of someone trying to improve their profile rather than imagining a sensible new approach.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Gathering enough income through taxation by increasing the ask of the very wealthiest to relieve the burden on the very worse off is not hard left, far from it - A married couple will soon be able to leave £1m in wealth tax free to their children, for many many people that would be largely made up of unearned income by way of the equity in their house, taxing people with over £1m in assets is not 'hard left'.

The death tax is not a tax that has been earned by government.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Lucas is going in a very strange direction, she supports a party that, rightly, supports people to identify however they choose to be they trans, binary or whatever. Key to that is, essentially, treating people as equal, something that many of us would adhere to. I'm not sure, therefore, how she reaches the conclusion that (people who identify as, or born as ?) women are better able to 'reach ou to' and 'cooperate' with those they disagree with than (people who identify as, or born as?) men. She is wrong. Theresa May, Esther McVey, Amber Rudd, Penny Mourdant etc etc all failed so it is just the men to blame?

That Lucas claims that women are 'less tribal' suggest she has never read about, met or spoken to Liz Saville Roberts who is possible the most party political, parochial politician you'll ever know, Nicola Sturgeon may be a close second, nationalists don't tend to be known for their bigger picture outlook. This has all the look and feel of someone trying to improve their profile rather than imagining a sensible new approach.

I think your post is excellent. It is a strange direction and the point of equality is being lost amongst those who cannot see beyond the fog of Brexit. I heard a Psychologist interviewed yesterday and she pointed out, much as you have, that the kind of women in parliament are likely to be outliers in the female population and exhibit traits which preclude them from being considerate and compromising and which would make them equally intolerant of others views when compared to their testosterone fuelled colleagues. It is probable that Lucas is like that herself and that is why she is blinkered on this issue.

There have been many posts defending her, but not many rushing to defend inequality. I can only assume that as a two way thing, those defending her would not mind similar inequalities existing in the Commons that prohibit certain sexes or groups from participating in parliamentary business.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Lucas was a man, she'd be called a Sexist Pig.

Does this mean she is a Sexist Sow ? ???

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The original vote delivered an outcome she doesn't agree with. Why is she still campaigning for a second referendum?

I would say she's doing it because she believed the first vote was flawed given the outright lying that occured by people that now make up the government. Remember Boris ever telling you No Deal was an option?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

they arent suggesting 1m though but 125k.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I would say she's doing it because she believed the first vote was flawed given the outright lying that occured by people that now make up the government. Remember Boris ever telling you No Deal was an option?

I think you are confusing ‘no deal ever’ with ‘no deal now.’ I haven’t seen anyone advocate the former. Most of the debate around a deal has been (and was at the time of the referendum) around a trade deal. The EU and the Tories decided that this issue wouldn’t be discussed until we had left. That has given the Remain side time to regroup and try to scupper leaving at all. I voted leave but I am not going to be conned by the Tory smoke and mirrors debate about timing of a deal with the EU.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Isn’t that basically Lucas’ point ? Too many people saying they are right and not listening to other people. Where I disagree with her is that I don’t think one has to be female to listen and compromise.

If we are going to be binary about this - and I'd agree with the numerous posts that it's not helpful to be so in a cabinet environment Male or female - who thinks that women are generally better at compromise? There are married men up and down the country calling bullshit on that one. Whose ever had a conversation in a pub where someone says 'My wife is excellent at compromise'

Back to the point. The idea is bonkers. That is quite an achievement in the Brexit debate amongst such stuff competition.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Except that she is indulging in the tribalism that she is so keen to point out is the problem. Speaking only with like minded politicians is tribalistic.

what would be fabulous is a proper rational decision taking rather than this mess we have right now.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Mikeyjh, do your research.
As Beorhthelm says, Marxist McDonnell suggested a Lifetime Allowance of £125,000 and anything gifted over that would be taxed. Hmm, that is hard left and anyway, how could it be enforced and what counts towards the allowance? Christmas presents, ice-creams, a 6year olds pocket money?
He's a nutter.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He is a complete fanatic ............a Marxist who wants to see the overthrow of Capitalism and some on here think he is fit to be Chancellor![/QUOT

Why is a Marxist who wants to see the overthrow of Capitalism worse as Chancellor than an Old Etonian, public school numpty who thinks it's all jolly good fun because he went to school with them?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am a remainer and the reason why I won't give up on a second referendum etc is because I believe that BREXIT and certainly a NO DEAL BREXIT is not good for me , my kids, their kids or indeed the majority of the population. I keep fighting it on the hope it can be stopped.

I have asked at least 4 times on this FORUM whether someone from the BREXIT side could explain the benefits they see and how the majority of the population will be better off.Funnily enough I have had no one who can explain that.

All I get is we had a vote and we won so f*ck off and accept it , well sorry I won't just accept it , Democracy is about consensus and about whats best for the most not the few, If Lucas believes that this grouping will take us forward (rather round in a circle of lies) then I don't care if it is all women . The old (all men) public school clique has never worked in my or the general public's interests.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He is a complete fanatic ............a Marxist who wants to see the overthrow of Capitalism and some on here think he is fit to be Chancellor![/QUOT

Why is a Marxist who wants to see the overthrow of Capitalism worse as Chancellor than an Old Etonian, public school numpty who thinks it's all jolly good fun because he went to school with them?

I don't quite understand your post, Sussex. Maybe have a look at it.
Just a quickie,'cos I suspect your post isn't entirely a serious one.
A fellow who is a professed Marxist, who wants to overthrow capitalism, who was sacked by 'Red Ken' for being too left wing, who has a history of supporting/admiring nasty organisations and dodgy regimes, both from the political and economic points of view, who asked why a female MP wasn't being lynched, who would nationalise industries without proper compensation for shareholders, who likes the idea of severely limiting the amount of 'hard earned' that parents could give to their offspring etc.......I could go on, but have better things to do.Put it this way, he wouldn't be on my short-list for the post of Chancellor!
This country, a western democracy, is not one to allow an extremist like McDonnell near the post of Chancellor. Likewise an idiot like Corbyn as PM.
If you could get over your chippy(maybe light-hearted?) public school jibes, you may even see for yourself, that despite your natural left leaning(and I don't really know how leftie you are) views, perhaps the present Government, even if you loathe them, would look after the finances of the country rather better than the likes of Corbyn and McDonnell.
What we need is a huge uprising in the Labour Party to somehow rid themselves of the hard left element, regain their reputation for being a respected left centre party and thus become an acceptable alternative to the Tories. Bloody hell, many Labour MP's don't want Corbyn and McDonnell in power, let alone the Tory and LibDem MP's who think they would be an utter disaster for the country.
Anyway, I reckon there may well be a General Election in the near future, so let us see what happens.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here