Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for West Ham

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Couldn't that also be:-

'I feel we need a greater threat up top without Murray'.

Thereby keeping the neat and tidy player while adding some extra pace to compliment the neatness.

You could be right, I just feel that Murray is a better goal scorer/poacher and has an aerial presence which Locadia doesn't.

As I said I'd be tempted to leave the same starting XI, however one change up top still keeping pace on the bench can't be a bad thing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
March and Bernardo is the big conundrum for me.

Both deserve to be playing. For me, Bernardo wing-back, with March joining the rotation options for the left sided forward (towards the very front of the queue)

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
It's a tough one, maybe if someone knows what formation he played last season against 4-2-3-1? This might give us an idea?

Even though we scored two further goals after Murray and Locadia went off, I believe this was due to the Watford defence getting tired. So it might be harsh to drop those two as they did cause some problems in the first half or so.

However after the hammers got tonked, you can see them being a bit more guarded so might not pour forward in numbers, which means we'll find it harder to create much without using pace to try and get in behind.

I think the defence and midfield will be the same, it's just whether we change up to pace straight away or wait till the second half.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Couldn't that also be:-

'I feel we need a greater threat up top without Murray'.

Thereby keeping the neat and tidy player while adding some extra pace to compliment the neatness.

What do you imagine West Ham would consider the greater threat?

West Ham 0 - 3 Brighton
Murray
Izquierdo
Murray

Brighton 3 - 1 West Ham
Murray .... Hernandez
Izquierdo
Groß

Brighton 1 - 0 West Ham
Murray

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What do you imagine West Ham would consider the greater threat?

West Ham 0 - 3 Brighton
Murray
Izquierdo
Murray

Brighton 3 - 1 West Ham
Murray .... Hernandez
Izquierdo
Groß

Brighton 1 - 0 West Ham
Murray

I didn't realise we'd be playing 2017's West Ham.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
We have won 3 and drawn one and not lost yet since we been in PL. They are stronger now than previous visits but so are we. I would be starting with Maupay and Andone with a view to bringing on Murray for the last 20. Trossard in for Gross.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't help thinking we're never going to have a 'settled' side.

So many positive options based on a solid defense will make for some great times and will also keep Bozza in veggie sausage, as (hopefully) we'll never agree on a starting XI.

Gone are the days of us, reluctantly, assuming the team picks itself.

(Not a dig as the same would probably apply if CH were still in charge, although a rigid formation would make selection easier to guess)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Possible changes/substitutions/longer term swops - Mooy for Stephens, Trossard for Gross, Maupay for Locadia, Andone for Murray, Bernardo for March and Webster for Duffy .... but no immediate need

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's a tough one, maybe if someone knows what formation he played last season against 4-2-3-1? This might give us an idea?

Not really as Swansea didnt have the players to play any kind of 3 cb formations, so it doesnt tell much.

I wouldnt be surprised if the same team that won in the weekend starts again, but I could also see him swapping to a 3-4-3 instead of the 3-5-2 as Wham are not nearly as dangerous down the flanks if you compare to Watford. Potter knew that playing extremely high pressure vs Femenia and Holebas would have been pretty meaningless as they are good at solving those stiuations, but Wham pair Ryan Fredricks and Aaron Cresswell are probably more abusable.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I can't help thinking we're never going to have a 'settled' side.

So many positive options based on a solid defense will make for some great times and will also keep Bozza in veggie sausage, as (hopefully) we'll never agree on a starting XI.

Gone are the days of us, reluctantly, assuming the team picks itself.

(Not a dig as the same would probably apply if CH were still in charge, although a rigid formation would make selection easier to guess)

We’ve played ONE game. Let’s see where are after 8. But for now, strap in and fasten seat belts. This is going to be a ride you don’t want to miss.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fabulous comeback :shrug: :rolleyes:

What do you want me to say:-

'Oh yes you're brilliant, that's right I hadn't noticed Murray has scored against West Ham before therefore he's guaranteed to score again, cos that's how football works'?

What I was saying and we both know you're not so stupid you didn't understand is that:-

'the teams have changed, the managers have changed, the set ups have changed.
Some positional players have got younger.
All players have got older.
The player that has formally terrorised West Ham, spent Saturday giving the lino arm ache'.

I was responding to Arkwright saying he'd drop the neat and tidy player, 2 attributes I think would benefit from a lively strike partner.
Ark replied with a valid justification, without resorting to what is frankly nonsense already consigned to the history books.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We’ve played ONE game. Let’s see where are after 8. But for now, strap in and fasten seat belts. This is going to be a ride you don’t want to miss.

Exactly TBH I'm not comfortable with us winning on Saturday then playing no points Southampton.

Champions League final here we come. :lolol: :dunce:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
I have been supporting this club for too long. I know exactly what will happen on Saturday....whoever plays.:smile:

Ha! Yes indeed. Performance-wise it'll probably be mid-way between Cardiff and Newcastle, but on the bright side I can't see it being nearly as bad as Bournemouth.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What do you want me to say:-

'Oh yes you're brilliant, that's right I hadn't noticed Murray has scored against West Ham before therefore he's guaranteed to score again, cos that's how football works'?

Well done - that is exactly what I said. Oh wait, no it isn't. I asked which of the CF options would West Ham perceive as the greater threat - the one who has scored 4 in 4 PL games against them (or the one who got a few goals against Excelsior and Willem II a couple of seasons ago)?

without resorting to what is frankly nonsense already consigned to the history books.

Hang on - so players' previous achievements (goal-scoring records included) are 'frankly nonsense, consigned to history books'? Yet somehow in your head, what Locadia and Jahanbaksh achieved two seasons ago in the Dutch league, is valid evidence of their worth, yet the 20+ Premier League goals Glenn Murray has scored in the two most recent seasons, is all worthless history?

I think your lycra is a bit too tight, tbh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well done - that is exactly what I said. Oh wait, no it isn't. I asked which of the CF options would West Ham perceive as the greater threat - the one who has scored 4 in 4 PL games against them (or the one who got a few goals against Excelsior and Willem II a couple of seasons ago)?

Hang on - so players' previous achievements (goal-scoring records included) are 'frankly nonsense, consigned to history books'? Yet somehow in your head, what Locadia and Jahanbaksh achieved two seasons ago in the Dutch league, is valid evidence of their worth, yet the 20+ Premier League goals Glenn Murray has scored in the two most recent seasons, is all worthless history?

I think your lycra is a bit too tight, tbh.

Let's do this again, and please this time play the ball not the man, as you butting into out conversations just to dig at me is so boring.

Given the choice I'd play a "neat and tidy" striker paired with a fast striker (Maupay or Andone) as I believe the fast striker will complement the neat player.

Arkwright prefers the big/quick strike partnership.

In the brief highlights I saw and commentary on here, I saw nothing of Murray to suggest he'd maintain his scoring record.

Ali J didn't come into the discussion (playing the man again), only this time you know you're wrong as I've never talked about his worth.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
March and Bernardo is the big conundrum for me.

Both deserve to be playing. For me, Bernardo wing-back, with March joining the rotation options for the left sided forward (towards the very front of the queue)

That is a tricky one isn't it. Prior to Saturday I was wondering why we wouldn't just go with Solly on the right instead of Montoya and Bernardo on the left. Then Montoya was fantastic and I decided I don't really need to concern myself greatly. Graham's got this.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think, all season, Maupay and Andone should ALWAYS come off the bench and ALWAYS together.

They look the same, they play the same, they both has the "I could go mental at any time" look about them.

Now, add the PA playing 'Bad Boys' as they come on and they opposition will be intimidated as ****.

"Introduciiiiiiiiiiing The Bash Street Boys, The Crazy ****ers, The Terrible Twins, The Smash Brothers"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Given the choice I'd play a "neat and tidy" striker paired with a fast striker (Maupay or Andone) as I believe the fast striker will complement the neat player.

In the brief highlights I saw and commentary on here, I saw nothing of Murray to suggest he'd maintain his scoring record.

Conversely, everything we've seen from Locadia, suggests that he WILL maintain his...

In what manner is Locadia's game more 'neat and tidy' than Glenn Murray's?

Murray's finishing is demonstrably better (as proven by all that pesky 'history')
Murray's first touch is better
Murray's ability to hold up the ball when isolated is a million miles better
Murray's ability to bring others into play is better

Locadia is faster, maybe stronger, can spot a pass - all valid attributes to champion - but neat and tidy? Don't see it.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Duffy losing his place? Potter might the one who needs to see a doctor after telling him!

Potter does apparently like to select teams specifically for the next game, and likes to change things to keep it fresh. Nobody deserves to lose their place after the Watford game - but is that the team/line-op/formation that Potter thinks will beat West Ham? So, team for West Ham? - I haven't got a clue!

I do not think that changes will be made because someone had a bad game, ( which there were non at Watford) but because system change against our next opponents would be necessary in the Managers view.
And in G P I trust.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here