Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for West Ham

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what Ali J can do within this new positive environment :shrug:

I do expect him to play in the coming weeks. Why not v West Ham at home?
He's very fortunate the has such a low bar to clear in order to show signs of improvement.

I can't see him getting a run out anytime soon (but what do I know).
He had a very quiet preseason and there's a lot of healthy players who are seemingly ahead of him.

My guess he has a big circle drawn around League Cup fixtures.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was Knocky rather than Ali J who was deemed surplus for a very good reason, I would have thought.

Yeah deffo, I just don't see how a player goes from not in the squad to playing the next week, after a comprehensive 0-3 win.

TBH after such a win I don't know how he even gets back into the squad.
Then again I was adamant no manager would bring on 2 very similar players in one substitution, so all bets are off for a couple of months, at least.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why would anyone be calling for Duffy to be dropped ahead of a new signing from the championship. This place is insane at times

It’s a tricky one. His distribution was the worst of the 3 CBs, but he is so immense in the air we’d miss that massively. Not much to choose between them in terms of blocks and tackles but I sense from what I’ve read Webster may be a better ball-player. Can’t see the back 3 changing yet though - on Saturday’s showing it’ll need to be an injury or a suspension.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Think GP thinking tactics and team set up likely to surprise us all at times
As already said elsewhere Gross starting on Saturday can be traced back to goal conceded against Valencia
And as Swansea fan added somewhere GP quite likes to go full on re one particular attribute
Which to me is how he thinks how can I support a great CB pairing so not worn out by January - turn them into a back three and trade a winger in squad for an extra CB
Same way best from of defence when one nil up away is attack higher up pitch with pace
Ali J could well figure when we decide to overload on one side of team where we think team has a weakness on that side
Some weeks we will get turned over and it wont work - but if we can turn Burnley over that I am defo looking forward to

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
It’s a tricky one. His distribution was the worst of the 3 CBs, but he is so immense in the air we’d miss that massively. Not much to choose between them in terms of blocks and tackles but I sense from what I’ve read Webster may be a better ball-player. Can’t see the back 3 changing yet though - on Saturday’s showing it’ll need to be an injury or a suspension.

Totally agree with you. Saturday wasn’t one of Duffy’s better performances because his distribution was poor at times, but it certainly doesn’t warrant him being dropped this weekend.

I really feel that we’re missing a trick if we don’t start with Maupay & Andone instead of Muzza & Locadia because their confidence will be sky high and their pace & movement will frighten the life out of what may be a nervy West Ham defence after shipping 5 goals at the weekend.

If there is to be other changes then I would like to see Trossard instead of Gross and if West Ham play Antonio down the right flank then Bernardo would be a better match for him rather than March as I could see Antonio out muscling March.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Play Ryan as sweeper in a new look 0-1-10 formation as the Albion crush West ‘am 6 nil.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Totally agree with you. Saturday wasn’t one of Duffy’s better performances because his distribution was poor at times, but it certainly doesn’t warrant him being dropped this weekend.

I really feel that we’re missing a trick if we don’t start with Maupay & Andone instead of Muzza & Locadia because their confidence will be sky high and their pace & movement will frighten the life out of what may be a nervy West Ham defence after shipping 5 goals at the weekend.

If there is to be other changes then I would like to see Trossard instead of Gross and if West Ham play Antonio down the right flank then Bernardo would be a better match for him rather than March as I could see Antonio out muscling March.

Think it’ll be one of Andone or Maupay for Murray......possibly Trossard for Gross or Locadia (but neither of those deserve to be dropped either to be fair). Agree re Bernardo for March, Antonio is a bit of a beast (but will also be up against Burn on that side).

Glad I don’t have to make the decisions. One big challenge for GP now is keeping all of the squad happy given the quality of payer that’s going to be benched/left out on a regular basis. Fascinating to see what the ‘strongest XI’ will be in, say, a couple of months.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Didn't Antonio give Bernardo a bit of a lesson at West Ham last season?

Maybe im just not remembering it right.

He did, but I think Bernardo was injured and was out for a few weeks thereafter which coincided with our downturn in form. Antonio also went off injured on Saturday, so might well be out this weekend. Felipe Anderson ditto.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Why would anyone be calling for Duffy to be dropped ahead of a new signing from the championship. This place is insane at times

Yep, no reason to unless he starts making unforced errors or his performances drop due to our new tactics. He's one of our best players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
He did, but I think Bernardo was injured and was out for a few weeks thereafter which coincided with our downturn in form. Antonio also went off injured on Saturday, so might well be out this weekend. Felipe Anderson ditto.

Thankyou, memory hasn't completely deserted me then.... Yet! :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here