Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Playing out from the back yesterday.....

seagull1970

Apr 7, 2019
Was it just me that thought the goal kicks to a defender in the box weren’t a good idea with 3 Watford players on the edge of the area ? I understand why we tried it but it didn’t seem to work for me.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
It does create a large amount of space further up the field: it's risky for the pressing team as well. Pressing man for man across half the pitch means it only takes one pass for you to have a free man and a potential attack. City consistently destroyed teams last year when they tried to press their goal kicks last year.

Our out-ball yesterday in those situations looked to be Ryan playing it out to one of the wing-backs who could then either play it first time back to the centre-back or into central midfield. Obviously it's not going to work every time but I am sure we will stick with it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It does create a large amount of space further up the field: it's risky for the pressing team as well. Pressing man for man across half the pitch means it only takes one pass for you to have a free man and a potential attack. City consistently destroyed teams last year when they tried to press their goal kicks last year.

Our out-ball yesterday in those situations looked to be Ryan playing it out to one of the wing-backs who could then either play it first time back to the centre-back or into central midfield. Obviously it's not going to work every time but I am sure we will stick with it.

Potter likes to play that way ...hopefully our home crowd will be patient ...at least with three centre backs there are more options

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
You only need to watch this to see the point of it.

Look at 0:27. When I first saw that I thought, "f*ck me, is that really the best idea?", 15 seconds later (0:42) I completely understood it.

Also, the first highlight, the goal against City (which I genuinely consider possibly the best goal I have ever seen), the initial pass from the GK on about 0:07 seconds. They broke their press and boom, all of a sudden City needed to defend, and they needed to do so with 7 players the wrong side of the ball. I saw us try that kind of thing quite alot yesterday.

Is it a risk? Yes, no doubt. Can it pay dividends if you master it? Massively.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here