Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Ryan Air.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I was diagnosed with throat cancer on the 5th July, I had a flight on Ryan Air booked for the 29th August. Obviously I won’t be able to fly now, so I phoned Ryan, and their representative said if I filled in the form on the website, provide evidence, I could apply.
This I’ve done after leaving hospital yesterday, and just got the email back refusing the refund as it’s in the terms and conditions that they don’t do refunds. I know Ryan Air is one of the most penny pinching companies out there and I understand that this is how they keep their prices low, but, why even have a refund process if you don’t do refunds. If you need the process for exceptional circumstances is cancer not exceptional enough.

I know if I was that bothered about the money, I should have insured, but, I wouldn’t have expected a refund for nearly anything else, but I would have thought that life threatening illnesses are a special case.

Anyway, just venting my spleen really at Ryan Air, thanks for reading.

Yesterday’s win made me feel a bit better though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to hear - hope you're able to get decent treatment. Wishing you all the best.

Nothing would surprise me about Ryanair. Awful company.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Company run by the most obnoxious CEO ever

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
To add to my earlier post, I’m out of hospital, the medics are ‘very confident ‘ they have cut away all the cancer in my throat, mainly my left tonsil

They can’t find any cancer anywhere else, but, have removed my lymph nodes in my neck, a very impressive 8 inch scar, just in case. I’m a bit sore, learning how to swallow again, a bowl of cornflakes took 45 minutes to eat this morning , and very appreciative of the NHS.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All best wishes to OP for a full and speedy recovery.

In the wider scheme of things, must have used Easyjet a hundred times. Not used Ryanair once and never will. At least not while that wanker O'Leary has anything to do with them. Why on earth would you willingly give money to a company whose main man overtly hates his company's employees as much as he hates his company's customers. WTF kind of business model is that? ???

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I'm sorry to hear about that, wishing you the best of luck and hope you get better soon!

Ryanair really are the absolute pits. I was convinced I was going to die on my return flight from Milan. The pilot sounded out of breath just going through a pocket of turbulence.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry to hear what you’ve been through and glad to hear that the op seems successful..all the best for your recovery...just an idea ..but perhaps consider tweeting Simon Calder (well known travel ‘expert’) about your experience..he’s quite good at taking up stories like this ..and if he publicises your experience, at the very least they will be named and shamed

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I’d potentially tweet them if you have Twitter, or if someone you know has it. Try and get as many shares etc as you can. They may change their tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hopefully recovering well.

While Ryan Air may not want to give a refund, should you be eligible for a refund on the taxes paid, given that you are no longer travelling ?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
To add to my earlier post, I’m out of hospital, the medics are ‘very confident ‘ they have cut away all the cancer in my throat, mainly my left tonsil

They can’t find any cancer anywhere else, but, have removed my lymph nodes in my neck, a very impressive 8 inch scar, just in case. I’m a bit sore, learning how to swallow again, a bowl of cornflakes took 45 minutes to eat this morning , and very appreciative of the NHS.

Hope all is fine now

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Michael O'Leary (Ryanair CEO) is notorious for having one of the tightest ar$es on the planet and there are a good many honest folk who would take great retribution in shoving something painful [large] right up there ....

Old story I heard, Michael O'Leary entertaining some business partners in a meeting at a hotel and goes to the bar to order a round of drinks. He orders and the barman says: "Twenty Euros please Mr O'Leary .... oh, and would you be wanting glasses as that will be extra ...."

To the serious side of this thread: LLF hoping for a swift and full recovery ....
Is there not an ombudsman for the travel industry, maybe ABTA could intervene?
If you paid by credit card, might be worth talking to them too?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Humble pie time.

I emailed them after the initial refusal of my refund,had a bit of a rant, poor customer service, what an awful company,etc, just to make me feel a bit better.
I received a stock reply that the medical evidence i had submitted was insufficient. It was a letter from the cancer nurse at Worthing Hospital,saying i was undergoing treatment and wouldn't be able to travel.
So, I sent them a scan of my hospital discharge note, and Bob's your uncle, they have allowed my refund.
I would humbly apologise to them, but, in the original refusal email there was no mention of'better' evidence, and I have a suspicion that,that is done deliberately.
So, thank you everyone for your kind comments, onward and upward.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Humble pie time.

I emailed them after the initial refusal of my refund,had a bit of a rant, poor customer service, what an awful company,etc, just to make me feel a bit better.
I received a stock reply that the medical evidence i had submitted was insufficient. It was a letter from the cancer nurse at Worthing Hospital,saying i was undergoing treatment and wouldn't be able to travel.
So, I sent them a scan of my hospital discharge note, and Bob's your uncle, they have allowed my refund.
I would humbly apologise to them, but, in the original refusal email there was no mention of'better' evidence, and I have a suspicion that,that is done deliberately.
So, thank you everyone for your kind comments, onward and upward.

No humble pie or apology necessary- you’ve probably hit the nail on the head with your suspicion about their dodgy practices and the lengths they’ll go to to avoid paying anything

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here