Votes: 28 18.5%
  • I go to watch football not stuff my face etc etc

Votes: 21 13.9%

• Total voters

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Do you need to be connected to the network for cashless? I have used cashless on London Underground and planes; I’m pretty sure they can’t be checking my details via a internet/WiFi connection in real time.

Pretty sure you don't need to be connected as some systems cache the transactions then run them through in bulk rather than processing each individually. Presumably this is down to whichever company has provided the terminals and is processing the transaction.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
LONG OVERDUE!! I have been very quietly waging a private one man campaign on this for years now. It’s 2019 FFS More(?!) cash only queues than POS on a stadium sponsored by American Express, ridiculous. Embarrassing even!! Everyone counting out money to pay for things and compounding the already excessive queues. Not the clubs primary issue though to be fair and driven predominantly by the catering companies reservation to add POS and pay the discount rate for plastic. I think we have POS on every till now so I’m much happier. Doesn’t need to be completely cash free but for years it was cash biased. Madness

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Pretty sure you don't need to be connected as some systems cache the transactions then run them through in bulk rather than processing each individually. Presumably this is down to whichever company has provided the terminals and is processing the transaction.

This is the case with most contactless transactions on most systems. However, once the connection goes down you cannot make any further transactions on most systems. The card machines will go down at some point, guaranteed, it does not happen often but it will happen one day.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
There should 100% be a system like the old season ticket cash top up available. Personally, I will probably look into those travel credit card things and see if there is a way to top up a card with what I can afford for spend at the Amex should the cashless system come in.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Isn't this going to make all the charities that collect around the ground suffer?

A lot have card readers on the buckets these days, it is certainly becoming more prevalent anyway.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sweden is expected to be entirely cashless within five years or so. I fear the day. The same day you cant withdraw any money from your account is the same day the banks without taking any risks could put negative interest on your savings, so you either spend or lose money. Any inch of power given to the banks is a bad idea and the cashless society would give them such immense power it would be impossible to ever break loose.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I think there's a place for both. Certainly contactless and payment cards are very convenient, but there should always be a place for cold, hard cash. I think to debate having one instead of the other misses the more obvious and practical solution - that is, being able to use both.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think people have the choice personally. But I guess I'll just give my money to the Swan instead

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Cashless unfairly impacts on poorer people. There's the ability to have a card, or a card that has sufficient funds to use. Money advice service always talk about budgeting, which is harder to do when you're not handling actual money and it's all digital.

Having said that, since the flask ban, I've refused to spend anything at the amex, so it's largely irrelevant to me.

It's definitely harder but not impossible.

I'm 100% cashless, can't remember the last time I held a note but I've worked out my budget to the penny and I know I've got £X to play with each day. It then becomes a case of mentally keeping track of purchases on any given day. That admittedly becomes harder once I've had a few.

There are tools out there to help too. I've started using Monzo for days out. It allows me to move money into 'Pots' and notifies me whenever I use my card (£3 at Tesco, £15 at Pub) and then I can check on the app how much money I've gone through that day. Once the pot is empty the card refuses any further use.

I get your point though. It is much easier to budget with physical money. If you've got a £20 budget for the day and that money is spent then you know that immediately.

EDIT - Sorry [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION], just seen you've basically responded to all my points already. That'll teach me to reply before reading.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's definitely harder but not impossible.

I'm 100% cashless, can't remember the last time I held a note but I've worked out my budget to the penny and I know I've got £X to play with each day. It then becomes a case of mentally keeping track of purchases on any given day. That admittedly becomes harder once I've had a few.

There are tools out there to help too. I've started using Monzo for days out. It allows me to move money into 'Pots' and notifies me whenever I use my card (£3 at Tesco, £15 at Pub) and then I can check on the app how much money I've gone through that day. Once the pot is empty the card refuses any further use.

I get your point though. It is much easier to budget with physical money. If you've got a £20 budget for the day and that money is spent then you know that immediately.

Same here. I carry some emergency currency for taxis, as some/most don’t take cards, but otherwise I’m 100% cashless. To play devils advocate, given all my transactions are detailed in my bank statement I’d argue it’s easier to budget and account for my spending.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Same here. I carry some emergency currency for taxis, as some/most don’t take cards, but otherwise I’m 100% cashless. To play devils advocate, given all my transactions are detailed in my bank statement I’d argue it’s easier to budget and account for my spending.

Yeah, going through bank statements was exactly why I realised I needed a budget.

I was doing the total opposite of what I described above. Using my card, not tracking anything mentally, not checking my account and then wondering why I was always left hovering over my overdraft every month.

Totally different now and it's so satisfying logging onto my bank account to see my balance is roughly where I envisaged it being this week. Also helped me see that over half of my free spend allowance each month was going on beer / takeaways etc. Cut that right back.

Kauto Star

Mar 2, 2017
Cash would be a lot quicker and more efficient if you you didnt stand behind 5 other people in the que who once recieving their order then proceed to fanny around looking in their wallet or purse for a tenner with a shocked expression on their face that they have to now pay. Probably the same people wait for a bus for 15 mins and dont have cash ready when driver prints ticket out

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I happen to work in the digital payments industry, and places like China and India are embracing a cashless society. You only need to research Alipay/WeChat Pay/PayTM to understand that the UK is stuck in the dark ages!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I happen to work in the digital payments industry, and places like China and India are embracing a cashless society. You only need to research Alipay/WeChat Pay/PayTM to understand that the UK is stuck in the dark ages!

Just because they do it doesnt mean its a good idea.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Yep. Also a lot going on in South Africa/Kenya.... https://www.forbes.com/sites/tobysh...a-mobile-banking-is-now-booming/#6402ba35cf3d

Are the same people downplaying this - the same ones that thought the world would end when cheques stopped being accepted?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I was VERY surprised to learn recently that the French do not have any credit cards in their banking system.

Must be beneficial compared to our debt laden society.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here