Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn Fan Club

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Thought Burn looked good in a back 3 today. more so than Duffy (who I really like in a back 2) but struggled today with the ball at his feet. Despite Webster stating his preference to play on the left, he could be breathing down Duffy's neck if he doesn't sort his feet out in a hurry.

Also important for the wide CBs in a 3 to be confident bringing the ball out. Burn did this well, as would Webster, Duffy not So much.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thought Burn looked good in a back 3 today. more so than Duffy (who I really like in a back 2) but struggled today with the ball at his feet. With Webster stating his preference to play on the right, he could be breathing down Duffy's neck if he doesn't sort his feet out in a hurry.

Also important for the wide CBs in a 3 to be confident bringing the ball out. Burn did this well, as would Webster, Duffy not So much.

I agree with the point you make about Duffy - I think he will be less comfortable in this formation. However, Webster stated his preference was playing on the left:-

I like to be able to play out from the back, but I’m a defender, and my main job is to stop the ball going into the back of the net first and foremost.

“I'm comfortable playing as a pair or in a trio and the three-man formation is one I have played in a fair few times at Bristol City, and at Ipswich too. It’s a system I am familiar with, if the manager decides to play that way.

I prefer to play in the left side of defence, but I’ll go anywhere as long as I’m out there on the pitch.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It is crazy to suggest that Duffy place in the one in danger when apart from the pass which was sublime the one in doubt would be Dunk. I dont think that any of them on today's performance have any problem of keeping their place.

and the block just off the line.....

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I agree with the point you make about Duffy - I think he will be less comfortable in this formation. However, Webster stated his preference was playing on the left:-

Youre absolutely right, but my point stands. You don't spend £20m on a CB and leave him on the bench for too long. Equally, you don't sack off someone as good as Duffy without good reason.

I can see the current back 3 carrying on for the time being, but as it stands, Burn should be more confident than Duffy of holding down his position long term.

But there again, we have only played 1 match.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why was this not seen before, was he injured last year?
We were playing two centre-backs last year, and the two we played were pretty good.

His responsibilities as part of a 3 are a little different, and it can't hurt having Dunk and Duffy alongside him clearing everything.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Just leave it.

My take on Burn is largely the consensus on this thread. He impressed me at Birmingham, He impressed me against Valencia, and I don't think he put a foot wrong today. I was alongside the pitch near the front in the home end at VR, and I didn't quite realise what a cuffing UNIT he is. He absolutely towered over Deeney, who is hardly Warwick Davis. And he's just so comfortable on the ball. Won just about all his aerial battles (unsurprisingly), and seems to already have forged a good understanding with Solly, who was diligently dropping off and mopping up around him after he'd won the ball in the air.

One or two slightly aimless hopeful passes, he's no Baresi. But on this form, he's going to take some shifting.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Just leave it.

My take on Burn is largely the consensus on this thread. He impressed me at Birmingham, He impressed me against Valencia, and I don't think he put a foot wrong today. I was alongside the pitch near the front in the home end at VR, and I didn't quite realise what a cuffing UNIT he is. He absolutely towered over Deeney, who is hardly Warwick Davis. And he's just so comfortable on the ball. Won just about all his aerial battles (unsurprisingly), and seems to already have forged a good understanding with Solly, who was diligently dropping off and mopping up around him after he'd won the ball in the air.

One or two slightly aimless hopeful passes, he's no Baresi. But on this form, he's going to take some shifting.

He really should be a huge threat from set pieces like Duffy

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He really should be a huge threat from set pieces like Duffy

Yep, no reason why not. He's got all the attributes and relishes a battle. If he keeps his place you'd expect 3 or 4 from him this season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Really thought he was ordinary when we signed him and also last season (the few times he played).

But my goodness, what a turnaround, outstanding today......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wigan defender? Who? What is that all about? For someone of his size, so accomplished, and so good at defending and going forward. I think we have a gem here.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Count me in, he looks strong and with quality Deeney was not going to get any joy from him.

Very composed for a 6ft 7 inch guy.

Why was this not seen before, was he injured last year?

Rigid 4 at the back, he had no chance.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just leave it.

I like that, been in that position at VR, you'll have seen how good he is.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And those that say Duffy is at threat, not a chance, ever. Duffy is a perfect 4-4-2 or whatever defender. I would never think of replacing him. He may not be so comfortable in a 3 at the back but he is still head and shoulders above a replacement. If we have a 20 mill defender on the bench so be it, but, and only one game, back three is perfect as it stands.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I remember seeing him a couple of times when he was at Brum and thinking he was a complete donkey. So, when we signed him my thoughts were 'FFS' and I was delighted he went off to Wigan. I never expected to see him again.

It's only pre season and one competitive game but it's quite clear he is a bloody good footballer and I now think has the potential to be one of our best signings of the Amex era. If he carries on the goodness knows how Potter figures out who makes way for Webster.

Thrilled I marked his card all wrong

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Wigan defender? Who? What is that all about? For someone of his size, so accomplished, and so good at defending and going forward. I think we have a gem here.

Early days, but let’s hope he gets a run.

As I say he was ordinary in the cup games IMO.....

However, I think you could be on to something, very at home in a 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here