Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You don’t know that mutual consent wasn’t offered to Chris......
Oh come on. Chris has talked about turning up to work, looking forward to preparing for the new season, and meeting Tony with no idea at all that he was about to be sacked. Chris had done what was asked of him by keeping us up. On the basis that he'd done his job, of course he wouldn't agree to leave, and Tony would have known that. I can't believe that Tony would have asked him to leave by mutual consent.

If Tony had said 'do you think it's time you moved on?' Chris would have said no, we'll be able to improve now that we've survived. Tony's not an idiot.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does it? I’m not sure it does

Not really. Certainly not always. We had another resounding away victory in London by the same scoreline, with similar like for like substitutions, in a game in which we had more shots than on Saturday. I'm really excited about the season ahead, Potter I've already taken to, not sure I get the need to have a pop at Hughton every 5 mins though. As Graham himself said, he has inherited a strong group from Chris with a solid foundation. That's good enough for me.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh come on. Chris has talked about turning up to work, looking forward to preparing for the new season, and meeting Tony with no idea at all that he was about to be sacked. Chris had done what was asked of him by keeping us up. On the basis that he'd done his job, of course he wouldn't agree to leave, and Tony would have known that. I can't believe that Tony would have asked him to leave by mutual consent.

If Tony had said 'do you think it's time you moved on?' Chris would have said no, we'll be able to improve now that we've survived. Tony's not an idiot.

Mutual consent doesn't necessarily mean you don't pay off a contract through. It could be an employer offers better terms through a mutual consent agreement over what a severance package would be because it suits them for that to be the case.

Given the fallout after he was sacked, you could understand if TB said to CH, that the package he will receive would be the same, or even slightly better than if he was sacked if both parties could agree 'mutual consent'. The PR would be a lot smoother etc. That may or may not have happened, and I agree with you, Chris probably felt that if he was going to be relieved it was going to be through being sacked as he wouldn't want anyone to think he was happy to leave when he wasn't.

All conjecture of course, just pointing out mutual consent doesn't necessarily mean a less attractive package for the person leaving, it just means two parties agreeing to the ending of their contract rather than enforcing break clauses within it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Not in my experience. IMO Tony is more likely to have OFFERED Chris a mutual consent deal as it would have avoided all the negative noise which TB knew would blow up if he fired him. Chris, being as surprised as he evidently was, and feeling he’d done what was expected of him, might well have told TB to do one - ‘if you want me out you’ll have to fire me’......so he did. CH may have even compromised a better payoff to hold his line of he felt strongly enough.

We’re all speculating and will never know but at senior levels this is how it often works in my experience.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Oh I’m sure he was :lolol:
'Hi Chris.'
'Hi Tony. A busy summer ahead of us, lot's to improve on'
'I was wondering if you fancied leaving?'
'What?'
'Well, I've decided to have a change on manager, but it would save me a lot of money if you decided it to. What d'ya say?'

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not in my experience. IMO Tony is more likely to have OFFERED Chris a mutual consent deal as it would have avoided all the negative noise which TB knew would blow up if he fired him. Chris, being as surprised as he evidently was, and feeling he’d done what was expected of him, might well have told TB to do one - ‘if you want me out you’ll have to fire me’......so he did. CH may have even compromised a better payoff to hold his line of he felt strongly enough.

We’re all speculating and will never know but at senior levels this is how it often works in my experience.

Hey, that's what I said! :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hey, that's what I said! :smile:

[emoji106][emoji16] I posted the same on the day it happened........could be wrong but would be quite surprised, given CHs contribution and TBs philosophy, that he was simply called into the office, asked for his ID pass and marched off the premises. Far more likely he would have been offered a ‘softer’ exit, but as a man of principle - and thinking he’d done his job, and apparently not seen it coming - declined it. Perfectly understandable and as it played out it worked for CH (at least at the time) as the flood of sympathy was for him and all criticism was of TB and the club.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mutual consent doesn't necessarily mean you don't pay off a contract through. It could be an employer offers better terms through a mutual consent agreement over what a severance package would be because it suits them for that to be the case.

Given the fallout after he was sacked, you could understand if TB said to CH, that the package he will receive would be the same, or even slightly better than if he was sacked if both parties could agree 'mutual consent'. The PR would be a lot smoother etc.
If Tony had offered equal severance terms, then I'd imagine Chris would have taken it.

Anyway, the point is that Hampster Gull said Hughton did exactly what Bloom asked of him, and Mo Gosfield said 'apart from agreeing to leave by mutual consent', and there's no indication he was asked.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Tony had offered equal severance terms, then I'd imagine Chris would have taken it.

That maybe the case, but the assumption that mutual consent doesn't have any financial benefit is wrong. It could have as equal benefit, or better than the sacking terms of the contract. All mutual consent means is both parties agree to end the contract between them and it can be outside any terms of that contract if both agree to it.

Anyway, the point is that Hampster Gull said Hughton did exactly what Bloom asked of him, and Mo Gosfield said 'apart from agreeing to leave by mutual consent', and there's no indication he was asked.

No there isn't, I was merely making the above point that you cannot assume it wasn't made or taken because it was less financially attractive than being sacked.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
[emoji106][emoji16] I posted the same on the day it happened........could be wrong but would be quite surprised, given CHs contribution and TBs philosophy, that he was simply called into the office, asked for his ID pass and marched off the premises. Far more likely he would have been offered a ‘softer’ exit, but as a man of principle - and thinking he’d done his job, and apparently not seen it coming - declined it. Perfectly understandable and as it played out it worked for CH (at least at the time) as the flood of sympathy was for him and all criticism was of TB and the club.

Offered a soft Chrexit, but ended up with a hard Chrexit – narrowly avoiding No Deal, by the sounds of it.

An amazing manager, but TB's mind was made up after a referendum with himself months before actual divorce date. #ChrexitMeansChrexit

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Reading all the conflicting posts on this issue, I simply believe that your hunch on the events is the most likely.

CH turned up for work on Monday (or on the Sunday evening), was called to see TB/PB and dismissed. With his fixed term contract settled in full.

Simple as that. That’s the football business.

Nothing personal, not shepherded from the building, no need to pay CH greater compensation than as per the contract (still huge), and no need to pay CH more than that to prevent him slagging off the club through the media (there was no dirty laundry leak-able to the press).

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

What is clear to me was that Potter had been lined up but that other Premier League clubs were stalking. Tony had to take swift and decisive action to make sure he got his man. I doubt Potter would have been approached until Chris was gone so time was of the essence, and no down for mutual constant etc.

Tony is a man who pulls out a gun and shoots you in the face, he is not a coward who wastes time manoeuvring into a position to allow him to stab someone in the back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What is clear to me was that Potter had been lined up but that other Premier League clubs were stalking. Tony had to take swift and decisive action to make sure he got his man. I doubt Potter would have been approached until Chris was gone so time was of the essence, and no down for mutual constant etc.

Tony is a man who pulls out a gun and shoots you in the face, he is not a coward who wastes time manoeuvring into a position to allow him to stab someone in the back.

And yet in those 5 days so many posters still have enough time to completely lose their shite about such a lengthy delay.

And yet in those 5 days so many posters still have enough time to completely lose their shite about such a lengthy delay.
Not to mention those on the other side complaining Chris was sacked with indecent haste. Has anybody thought that Mr Bloom might have done that anyway, so making him available for a possible approach from Newcastle?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

One of TB's more decisive moves and one that frankly i think was correct.........CH will always be loved by the majority of fans here , myself included , he was a diplomatic , level headed and intelligent manager who saved our butts and got us into the prem and for that we should be grateful , his playing style and limitations have been widely discussed and it was obvious from a few games at the back end of last season that he and a few of the team were rowing in different directions. AS for his press activity re" i had no idea it was coming"......i mean what was he supposed to say " i knew i was ****ed after the bournemouth game "...?? i don't think its his style.......hopefully him and TB have retained an amicable relationship , i mean he's been paid out his remaining time and is free to look for another job or have a year off.....i wish him well and will always look out for his results when he finds a new club.......hopefully it's Luton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One of TB's more decisive moves and one that frankly i think was correct.........CH will always be loved by the majority of fans here , myself included , he was a diplomatic , level headed and intelligent manager who saved our butts and got us into the prem and for that we should be grateful , his playing style and limitations have been widely discussed and it was obvious from a few games at the back end of last season that he and a few of the team were rowing in different directions. AS for his press activity re" i had no idea it was coming"......i mean what was he supposed to say " i knew i was ****ed after the bournemouth game "...?? i don't think its his style.......hopefully him and TB have retained an amicable relationship , i mean he's been paid out his remaining time and is free to look for another job or have a year off.....i wish him well and will always look out for his results when he finds a new club.......hopefully it's Luton.
Agree with most of that.....but why the f*** should we wish Luton on him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here