[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
18 photos on the Argus site, go spot yourselves at the match :thumbsup:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Arguably so.
Hughton has a proven track record of staying up and that is what he targets.

Potter believes in a style of play
There are inherent risks in that approach at this level.
There will be games ahead that we will lose going for a win, that we wouldn't have lost under Chris.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is the right move.
Just it will be higher risk for hopefully higher rewards.

Can't agree with that.
I have to say that if CH had been in charge this season we would be almost dead certs to get relegated.
He ran out of ideas and although I don't know for sure, I reckon some of the players were mightily unhappy with the way we played.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My brother phoned from Watford after the game and was very up beat saying he couldnt believe that the same players from last season could produce a display like that.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I cant be arsed to read through the 80 odd pages and this may have already been added. What Potter did yesterday to bring on two strikers to take the game to them was quality. They had little or no idea after that and they had to defend even further back. Hughton would have added another defender and undoubtedly Watford would have scored. He is a very forward thinking manager who will take the game to teams. That is a game, that last season we would have lost or drawn, with Watford attacking non stop for the last 30 minutes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I cant be arsed to read through the 80 odd pages and this may have already been added. What Potter did yesterday to bring on two strikers to take the game to them was quality. They had little or no idea after that and they had to defend even further back. Hughton would have added another defender and undoubtedly Watford would have scored. He is a very forward thinking manager who will take the game to teams. That is a game, that last season we would have lost or drawn, with Watford attacking non stop for the last 30 minutes.

May have? :facepalm:

May have? :facepalm:
Well it's news to me :)
It's equally surprising to find that 'Hughton would have added another defender and undoubtedly Watford would have scored.' That Chris Hughton - what a defensively incompetent manager he must have been!
That is a game, that last season we would have lost or drawn,
Erm... we did lose it last season....

Last edited:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It is good to see that there was new manager 'bounce'. It is best though not to get carried away after ONE game. We beat West Ham last season, let's hope we can do the same this time around, in our next.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Well it's news to me :)
It's equally surprising to find that 'Hughton would have added another defender and undoubtedly Watford would have scored.' That Chris Hughton - what a defensively incompetent manager he must have been!
Erm... we did lose it last season....

the point they're trying to drive home is that hewts would have invited an unbearable amount of pressure onto the players

Arguably we are still more likely to be relegated under him than we would have been under Hughton, but the potential improvement is also far greater.
So even after that performance and scoreline, achieved without input from Trossard, Webster or Mooy (not to mention the injured players), you think it's still arguable?

It isn't!

Without doubt, it's now
far more likely we'll stay up than if we still had Chris at the helm.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

80 pages! You need to up your posts per page.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

It was such a positive move, we were under the cosh and instead of knuckling down to defend the 1-0 lead, we brought on two very tenacious strikers that would not let their defence rest for a second, and they BOTH scored. Watford had to attack us, and it was the perfect move to take advantage of the players they had pushed forward. Tactically, it was a master stroke.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It was such a positive move, we were under the cosh and instead of knuckling down to defend the 1-0 lead, we brought on two very tenacious strikers that would not let their defence rest for a second, and they BOTH scored. Watford had to attack us, and it was the perfect move to take advantage of the players they had pushed forward. Tactically, it was a master stroke.

Funny as it may sound, I was thinking at 60, get Muzz and Gross off and get Trossard and Maupay on. Had no thought of thinking defensive. That's what I thought, but I wasn't far from the call. He didn't go defensive, I loved that.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Well said Graham :thumbsup:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So even after that performance and scoreline, achieved without input from Trossard, Webster or Mooy (not to mention the injured players), you think it's still arguable?

It isn't!

Without doubt, it's now
far more likely we'll stay up than if we still had Chris at the helm.

Wow

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Tony is spending to make progress, but Chris saw safety as the first ( and possbly only) target. I strongly believe his "More of the same next season" comment after the City game, sealed his fate.

Personally I think TB knew what he was going to do BEFORE the city game - when Richie Reynolds was asking CH about next season on lap of honour the look on TB was not one of someone who was too impressed, he did look very preoccupied when he was standing at edge of pitch waiting for a family photo with Bruno

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tony is spending to make progress, but Chris saw safety as the first ( and possbly only) target. I strongly believe his "More of the same next season" comment after the City game, sealed his fate.

Personally I think TB knew what he was going to do BEFORE the city game - when Richie Reynolds was asking CH about next season on lap of honour the look on TB was not one of someone who was too impressed, he did look very preoccupied when he was standing at edge of pitch waiting for a family photo with Bruno

TB has said his mind was made up some weeks before, probably after the Bournemouth game or possibly Cardiff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here