Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES - Mark Scott:

"Brighton owner Tony Bloom is said to have one of the sharpest gambling minds around, and after almost nose-diving into relegation under Chris Hughton he has rolled the dice and brought in Graham Potter, who worked wonders at Ostersunds and did a fine job under testing conditions at Swansea.
Potter's CV ensures there will be plenty of intrigue into how he fares, and it's a safe bet the Seagulls will look extremely different under him".

Good grief, a BBC pundit who actually seems to have done a modicum of research!

Oh well, here we go all over again ....... COME ON YOU ALBION!

So you wouldn’t play Maupay because you want pace? What?!

???

3-12.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not expecting anything from this game. I think we will end up with a decent season but its going to take time to rebuild and the Potter revolution to produce results. My Albion mojo is high and will remain so regardless of how early results go. Its enough to start the season knowing that we are going to try and play attacking football and that we have a plan B when needed.
If we get thumped today then ignore the doom merchants, it will be OK!
Head says yes, heart say :eek:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Welbeck long term injury? Shock!
They only signed him two days ago! I assume he's not injured, but also not necessarily match fit yet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I should be too, but something deep inside is telling me I'd actually be happier with a 4-3 defeat than a 0-0 draw.
Mmm. I understand that logic, but it's making my head hurt.

Ok, I've made a decision. No, I wouldn't be happier with that. Yes it would mean we're capable of scoring 3 goals, but that could just be thanks to things like sloppy defending and a careless arm in the air penalty decision etc. Letting in 4 would not be a good sign for our team. Yes I know you want to see a change from the defensive style we've had, but I think you'll see that even if it finishes 0-0. Potter will not have us playing all season the same way as the last few months.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Our first game last season. We played pretty brad for 50 minutes or so before Potter made some changes and when we scored that first goal it was the ultimate proof of how Potter wanted us to play.

Interesting everyone assumes you are playing three defenders just because you did it in the last friendlies. I wouldnt be so certain. You will definitely adapt to the opposition and play different formations every now and then, though the squad looks designed mainly for 3 cbs.

We started 3 man defense twice last season, and the last time it didnt go too well and Wigan scored two goals in 45 min. ""I take full responsibility for the first half, we weren't able to be ourselves and it was an uncomfortable 45 minutes," Potter explained.

"We had an idea but clearly it didn't work, or I wasn't able to explain the idea well enough.

"I am disappointed with myself and apologise to the players and to the supporters for the first half."

It should be noted though that he had much success with 3-4-3/3-5-2 in Östersund and that we didnt have enough central defenders (only two fit in the squad most season) to try it out more.

Look forward to the game. You might have a bad half or even a bad game every now and then in the beginning, but expect a good game since Watford is a nice side as well.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Is potter really going to bench a proven premier league scorer of goals?

No idea, but I would. Only because I would want to really stretch them at the back, and also because both NM and FA are annoying as f*ck for defenders. I'd like to see them play together.

Of course I rate GM, but I don't see him getting 38 games this season so he will have to be used thoughtfully, and I would say more at home than away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here