Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Premier League clubs 'should pay living wage' to staff

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
that would be the purpose of the minimum wage.

I think you are missing the fact that the Living Wage is higher than the Minimum Wage.

Edit. Minimum Wage = Existance, Living Wage = Living.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
most the roles, certainly on match day, are part time. how can they make a living from such work to be paid "living wage"?

the amounts on transfer fees shouldnt really matter, thats the market cost for doing that business. so why not expect to pay market rate for jobs?

The living wage is an hourly rate so part time staff can and should get it for the hours they do. Given the £££ in the PL there is no excuse for paying less or using contractors who pay less.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you are missing the fact that the Living Wage is higher than the Minimum Wage.

Edit. Minimum Wage = Existance, Living Wage = Living.

im not missing anything, you want a baseline and thats what the minimum wage is.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I think you are missing the point. The point is - why can a business in one of the richest industries and richest leagues in the world not pay all staff the living wage? They can afford £10s/100s of Millions in transfer fees, pay players £2M+ a year, but not afford to pay day to day staff £7-£8 per hour?

But they do (or legal they have to) pay living wage to employees over 24 years old of £8.21 an hour, McDonalds makes around £350m profit in the UK each year and employ 1,000's more than 20 PL clubs do, do they pay more than the minimum or living wage.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, I just think its an easy news story to fill pages the day after the transfer window shuts.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
But they do (or legal they have to) pay living wage to employees over 24 years old of £8.21 an hour, McDonalds makes around £350m profit in the UK each year and employ 1,000's more than 20 PL clubs do, do they pay more than the minimum or living wage.

I'm not saying its right or wrong, I just think its an easy news story to fill pages the day after the transfer window shuts.

Do you really want to compare our club with McDonalds!

I’d like to think that the club values its employees more than McDonalds do theirs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It was transfer deadline day and billions were spent by clubs so the it is newsworthy to highlight premier league clubs that don't pay the living wage. More money was spent on a handful of players than McDonalds make in a year. Surely you can see why it is current news?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry I must have missed this.
I had forgotten the rule that says before posting a new thread, members must check the entire history of NSC in case it has been mentioned previously.

Let that be a lesson to you!

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here