Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Premier League clubs 'should pay living wage' to staff

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Not just Albion but when you see any job advertised at football clubs they always seem to pay shocking salaries

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I suspect the response from the club will be something along the lines of:

" we outsource a number of our matchday roles such as security, catering and cleaning staff, and therefore have no control over the hourly rates being paid to those staff members. We are one of the few clubs who pays its staff over and above the national living wage."

Or something like that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I suspect the response from the club will be something along the lines of:

" we outsource a number of our matchday roles such as security, catering and cleaning staff, and therefore have no control over the hourly rates being paid to those staff members. We are one of the few clubs who pays its staff over and above the national living wage."

Or something like that.

That is a rubbish excuse. Brewdog for example only use contractors that pay the living wage - i.e security, cleaning etc....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Read [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s post on the link posted by [MENTION=4573]Green Cross Code Man[/MENTION] before laying into the club FFS:

Extract:

On the first day of what is set to be the most lucrative ever season for the world’s richest league, The Daily Telegraph can reveal that workers at Premier League football matches and the country’s other most money-spinning sporting events are regularly being paid less than the “real” cost of living.

An investigation by The Telegraph discovered that the teams’ commitment two years ago to paying an independently calculated living wage to all permanent staff is being undermined by their ongoing use of cheaper casual labour.

Manchester United, Southampton, Stoke City, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Watford and newly promoted Huddersfield Town all admitted to [directly employing casual staff on contracts which pay below the independently-calculated living wage] when approached.

Beyond Chelsea and Everton [who are the only two top-flight sides accredited as doing so by the Living Wage Foundation], the only Premier League clubs to explicitly deny directly employing casual staff on less than the independently-calculated living wage were Arsenal, Manchester City, Leicester City, Swansea City, Brighton and Hove Albion and West Ham United.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
most the roles, certainly on match day, are part time. how can they make a living from such work to be paid "living wage"?

the amounts on transfer fees shouldnt really matter, thats the market cost for doing that business. so why not expect to pay market rate for jobs?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not this sh*t again.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
That is a rubbish excuse. Brewdog for example only use contractors that pay the living wage - i.e security, cleaning etc....

Yeah that makes sense- the club should just make it a requirement of any contract that the workers have to be paid living wage- why wouldn't they do that?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
most the roles, certainly on match day, are part time. how can they make a living from such work to be paid "living wage"?

the amounts on transfer fees shouldnt really matter, thats the market cost for doing that business. so why not expect to pay market rate for jobs?

Because the 'living wage' is an hourly rate. The people that work part time at the Amex may well have other part times to make up to 35-40 hours a week. If all the jobs are paying a living wage then they are at the right level!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Why put the emphasis on football clubs ? The Living Wage should be the baseline for everyone in the 5th Biggest Economy in the World surely ?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Everybody should pay the living wage. No excuses. For Premier League clubs not to, in my opinion, is disgusting.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Read [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s post on the link posted by [MENTION=4573]Green Cross Code Man[/MENTION] before laying into the club FFS:

Extract:

On the first day of what is set to be the most lucrative ever season for the world’s richest league, The Daily Telegraph can reveal that workers at Premier League football matches and the country’s other most money-spinning sporting events are regularly being paid less than the “real” cost of living.

An investigation by The Telegraph discovered that the teams’ commitment two years ago to paying an independently calculated living wage to all permanent staff is being undermined by their ongoing use of cheaper casual labour.

Manchester United, Southampton, Stoke City, Crystal Palace, Bournemouth, Watford and newly promoted Huddersfield Town all admitted to [directly employing casual staff on contracts which pay below the independently-calculated living wage] when approached.

Beyond Chelsea and Everton [who are the only two top-flight sides accredited as doing so by the Living Wage Foundation], the only Premier League clubs to explicitly deny directly employing casual staff on less than the independently-calculated living wage were Arsenal, Manchester City, Leicester City, Swansea City, Brighton and Hove Albion and West Ham United.

Sorry I must have missed this.
I had forgotten the rule that says before posting a new thread, members must check the entire history of NSC in case it has been mentioned previously.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why put the emphasis on football clubs ? The Living Wage should be the baseline for everyone in the 5th Biggest Economy in the World surely ?

that would be the purpose of the minimum wage.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The national LIVING wage is legally payable to employees over the age of 24. Forcing a football club to pay all staff that amount, when 75% of match day staff are probably under that age, will result in one thing, less match day staff.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The national LIVING wage is legally payable to employees over the age of 24. Forcing a football club to pay all staff that amount, when 75% of match day staff are probably under that age, will result in one thing, less match day staff.

I think you are missing the point. The point is - why can a business in one of the richest industries and richest leagues in the world not pay all staff the living wage? They can afford £10s/100s of Millions in transfer fees, pay players £2M+ a year, but not afford to pay day to day staff £7-£8 per hour?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

I wouldn't use Brewdog as an exemplar of quality employee practices. Known for absolutely shocking treatment of the bar staff and managers in the pubco side of the business.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here