Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle v Arsenal 1984

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLROlpwax3M

I derive much pleasure from seeing these games. The players, the kits, the stadiums, the haircuts, the tracksuit bottoms of the keepers.

Its Newcastle v Arsenal on "Sky Super Sunday" this weekend, but just have a look at this exact same fixture 35 years ago...its almost like a different sport. Glorious though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Observations.

1. A crowd of 27,000.
2. Sad booing of Viv Anderson (not even remarked upon)
3. An actual handshake goal celebration between Brian Talbot and Paul Mariner. How very Corinthian.
4.Chris Waddle's catastrophic hair.
5. Glenn Roeder's complete lack of a chin.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
There seems to be a lot more flow in the above game than the current ones. The time it takes for play to continue after the ref's blown his whistle is far quicker than now. It's literally seconds and then play gets bak to normal, like rugby league. I'd be interested to know how much in-play action there actually is inside 90mins these days. I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 60/70 mins. Would be good to see the comparisons with then and now.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
blimey that Ipswich side was a shadow of the one Bobby Robson had
under him they finished 2nd in the league twice
and won the FA Cup & UEFA Cup

talk about a change of fortunes
under Howard Kendall Everton went on to win the league twice

wise words from Bertie Mee and the end there

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
There seems to be a lot more flow in the above game than the current ones. The time it takes for play to continue after the ref's blown his whistle is far quicker than now. It's literally seconds and then play gets bak to normal, like rugby league. I'd be interested to know how much in-play action there actually is inside 90mins these days. I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 60/70 mins. Would be good to see the comparisons with then and now.

indeed players not rolling around feigning injury
trying to get the other bloke booked

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Observations.

1. A crowd of 27,000.
2. Sad booing of Viv Anderson (not even remarked upon)
3. An actual handshake goal celebration between Brian Talbot and Paul Mariner. How very Corinthian.
4.Chris Waddle's catastrophic hair.
5. Glenn Roeder's complete lack of a chin.

also

Celtic v Rapid Vienna was played at Old Trafford
palace lost 5-0
and Bury were top of Div 4

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I derive much pleasure from seeing these games. The players, the kits, the stadiums, the haircuts, the tracksuit bottoms of the keepers.

Its Newcastle v Arsenal on "Sky Super Sunday" this weekend, but just have a look at this exact same fixture 35 years ago...its almost like a different sport. Glorious though.

Indeed. A sport I loved very much indeed, and miss so very much. This currently, pass, pass, skill, is all very pleasing to the eye, and wonderful for the bank balance of everyone involved, but I really do miss the sport I first fell in love with.

Having said that, beyond the pitch; the racism, the violence, and the constant danger round every corner, and within ever dilapidated ground, is best left very much in the past.

Could the latter have moved on without changing the game so dramatically? I think so. But it's happened now, and it's a one-way gate, there is no going back. Top video though mate, good to watch. Dangers are, I can lose myself down YouTube wormholes for HOURS once I start calling up old games.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You're not wrong [MENTION=272]Gritt23[/MENTION]. I found myself heartily chuckling at the BBS on their Zaha thread when someone amusingly made reference to Everton not being able to afford him because they were still paying Hans Segers wages.

What did I do? That's right, I spent 30 minutes on YouTube watching extended highlights of Everton v Wimbledon 1994, culminating in Segers keeping the scousers up by letting the ball roll under his body 8 minutes from time.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You're not wrong [MENTION=272]Gritt23[/MENTION]. I found myself heartily chuckling at the BBS on their Zaha thread when someone amusingly made reference to Everton not being able to afford him because they were still paying Hans Segers wages.

What did I do? That's right, I spent 30 minutes on YouTube watching extended highlights of Everton v Wimbledon 1994, culminating in Segers keeping the scousers up by letting the ball roll under his body 8 minutes from time.

It is so easy to do! It's when they then stick a list of similar videos down the right hand side. Once you start following those links you can pretty much kiss your whole evening goodbye.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I thought everyone said the atmosphere back in those days was always electric? Seems bang average to me, no different from your average atmosphere these days in this country...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I thought everyone said the atmosphere back in those days was always electric? Seems bang average to me, no different from your average atmosphere these days in this country...
People always look at it through rose tinted specs.

When it was a big game, a derby game, a reasonably full ground, the atmosphere was indeed absolutely electric and unlike anything you'll see these days. But you're right, it was usually bang average. Comparing like for like, we might want to look at Albion in the top flight - we had gates under 10,000. Notts County at home, Stoke at home, and we are not talking about games when our relegation fate was completely sealed either.

I fell in love with football and this club in the late 70s and early 80s, yet on balance, it is miles better these days. Better facilities, a safer place to take your kids, a better standard of football. Our best ever season was in our third season in the top flight when we finished 13th in 1982. Our average gate was 18,200 which was only 4,000 short of the average gate for the top flight that season. Now look - we could be shite and our STH count alone will be 26,000 or so.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I blame the Johnny Foreigner influx :smile:

An element of truth to that once but sadly the British players have been indoctrinated into that 'style' and are now just as bad. I remember the England Italy under 23 match with Gazza at the Goldstone. Some of the Italians rolled around on the floor, but the crowd did not boo or shout with derision, they simply laughed as it was not at that time part of our game. It is sad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here