Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Latest IPCC report: what can be done?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I must admit I do feel as an individual its pointless when massive countries the likes of Brazil, USA and China don't give a toss and are destroying the world

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I must admit I do feel as an individual its pointless when massive countries the likes of Brazil, USA and China don't give a toss and are destroying the world

With that attitude nothing will change. We need to put pressure on our government who can then in turn put pressure on other governments and world leaders to act. The main difficulty as I see it is getting people like Boris and Trump, who value money over the environment, to act. We should not, however, shirk our individual responsibilities. Two biggest things, fly less and eat a plant based diet.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
With that attitude nothing will change. We need to put pressure on our government who can then in turn put pressure on other governments and world leaders to act. The main difficulty as I see it is getting people like Boris and Trump, who value money over the environment, to act. We should not, however, shirk our individual responsibilities. Two biggest things, fly less and eat a plant based diet.

But even the young climate protest girl whose name I forget........bear with............Greta Thunberg.......has refused to speak with Trump as she feels it is totally pointless. I think she should and make him look dumb (again) but I sort of understand why she isn't prepared to waste her time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm a bit of a 'Slacker Green':

1. Hate flying: don't fly

2. Hate driving: don't drive

3. Can't be arsed to mow the lawn: encourages wild flowers

4. Squeamish: been a veggie since about 14

5. Like the taste of oatmik: buy oatmilk

6. Tight: so don't buy much; and send missus to the allotment

7. Hobby: running

8. Not keen on clutter: drop offs to charity shops

This is not exactly occupying the moral high ground, but works for me! Doubtless I could do more (or less).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Indeed. When people point the finger about climate change big corporations are top of the list. We're constantly lectured about how nasty Big Business is ruining the planet all in the pursuit of profit - but they're only doing it because WE'RE paying them to do it by the choices we make. Anybody who plans to go on an airplane soon for example cannot in all seriousness claim that they care about climate change.

It's down to US to change. Throw away your passports, rip out your central heating and only eat fruit and vegetables in season. (And no I'm not going to go quite to those extremes, but neither I am going to say that climate change is something being done to innocent little me by nasty people who only care about money).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm a bit of a 'Slacker Green':

1. Hate flying: don't fly

2. Hate driving: don't drive

3. Can't be arsed to mow the lawn: encourages wild flowers

4. Squeamish: been a veggie since about 14

5. Like the taste of oatmik: buy oatmilk

6. Tight: so don't buy much; and send missus to the allotment

7. Hobby: running

8. Not keen on clutter: drop offs to charity shops

This is not exactly occupying the moral high ground, but works for me! Doubtless I could do more (or less).

I enjoy your posts and tend to agree with what you say. So it is odd to find I am the exact opposite of you in every respect (including running - although I used to love it I can't do it now owing to a dodgy knee).

Mrs T is a keen recycler. She will use up lots of hot water to wash plastic and metal food containers so they can be recycled (aka, transported to the far East where they are put into land fill). She will also leave dirty dishes out all night then fill up a sink with hot water to soak it all before doing the washing up.

I, on the other hand, put dirty plastic food containers in the regular refuse, and wash up immediately after eating, using a small bit of soap on a spunge and slow running water.

Who is doing more for the planet? Neither of us really, although I waste less electricity/water. :shrug:

Right, off to St Michael's Mount, wearing my orange Kayal 7 away top from a few years ago. :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I enjoy your posts and tend to agree with what you say. So it is odd to find I am the exact opposite of you in every respect (including running - although I used to love it I can't do it now owing to a dodgy knee).

Mrs T is a keen recycler. She will use up lots of hot water to wash plastic and metal food containers so they can be recycled (aka, transported to the far East where they are put into land fill). She will also leave dirty dishes out all night then fill up a sink with hot water to soak it all before doing the washing up.

I, on the other hand, put dirty plastic food containers in the regular refuse, and wash up immediately after eating, using a small bit of soap on a spunge and slow running water.

Who is doing more for the planet? Neither of us really, although I waste less electricity/water. :shrug:

Right, off to St Michael's Mount, wearing my orange Kayal 7 away top from a few years ago. :thumbsup:

You could at least have the decency to send Mrs HWT to the allotment!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here