Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Berahino

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Won't be us unless we've abandoned our no dickheads policy & are desperate - the latter might be true though!

How much do you know about his upbringing and early life?

It might be worth a read while you're brandishing "dickhead" around willy-nilly.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

It might be worth a read while you're brandishing "dickhead" around willy-nilly.

Bloody Nora - just read the couple of paragraphs on wiki.

Fair play to the guy for all he went through, a great deal of mental strength needed to go through that, still do well at school and then forge a career as a professional athlete.

For anyone that (like me) didn't know about it:

Born in 1993 in Bujumbura, the then-capital of Burundi,[2] Berahino played football as a child with a ball of plastic bags tied up with laces.[4] His father was killed in 1997 during the Burundian Civil War.[5] He travelled to England alone at the age of 10,[6][7] fleeing the ongoing war to join his mother, brother and sisters who had already been granted asylum in Newtown, Birmingham. He could not locate his family on arrival, and was put in a care home. After his mother Liliane was traced, immigration officials had to administer a DNA test to confirm their relationship.[4]

Berahino attended Aston Manor School,[8] where he gained ten GCSE certificates and competed in basketball and athletics in addition to football.[9] His childhood friends included Ateeq Javid and Recordo Gordon, both of whom went on to play County Championship cricket for Warwickshire.[9] Initially speaking only French[10] and having played street football in his native Burundi, Berahino attributed his love for the sport with helping him integrate quickly into English society.[6]

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

I'm not 'brandishing' dickhead around, one of my close friends lost both his parents at age 6 and had an incredibly tough upbringing, but is one of the hardest working people I know.

I therefore personally can't summon up much sympathy for someone who, from independent sources, doesn't work hard & lacks effort, despite being remunerated very handsomely in his profession.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yep. Hopefully we're allowed to say "I don't think he will improve our striking options or those of any PL team"

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Regardless of his youth experiences, he has been difficult to work with, been caught drink driving more than once, using MDMA and Laughing gas, went two years without scoring, had his contract cancelled by Stoke, went on strike at WBA. Understandable that he might have a few issues, but you have to take responsibility for your own behaviour at some point.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Regardless of his youth experiences, he has been difficult to work with, been caught drink driving more than once, using MDMA and Laughing gas, went two years without scoring, had his contract cancelled by Stoke, went on strike at WBA. Understandable that he might have a few issues, but you have to take responsibility for your own behaviour at some point.

Couldn't agree more, of course everyone has their own personal battles and some people's are much, much harder than others.

But ultimately you do have to take some accountability for your actions at some point, and drink driving is pretty high on the list of dickheadish behaviour for me, risking the lives of others selfishly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here