Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Most anticlimactic deadline day signing

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Following the news that we may be interested in making Aaron Mooy our star deadline day transfer, I've been thinking about the most disappointingly anticlimactic deadline day signings.

For me, after all the rumours that Bobby might come back, it has to be Naylor stating that an "old favourite was returning", only for the club to reveal it was Dean Hammond. :wozza:

Iirc Shane McFaul also arrived on deadline day.

Any others NSC recalls who didn't quite WOW the fans as the club might have hoped?

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Following the news that we may be interested in making Aaron Mooy our star deadline day transfer, I've been thinking about the most disappointingly anticlimactic deadline day signings.

For me, after all the rumours that Bobby might come back, it has to be Naylor stating that an "old favourite was returning", only for the club to reveal it was Dean Hammond. :wozza:

Any others NSC recalls who didn't quite WOW the fans as the club might have hoped?

"cheer up!"

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Vicente

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Elvis was certainly an end of window *panic buy* when we couldn't get Calleri.Not sure if *deadline day*, but close.

The puns and jokes were chronically anticlimactic, and the 'football' that followed likewise.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Dean Hammond, after Naylor made it sound like Bobby was coming back.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This. Tracking a plane to Shoreham Airport, international clearance needed, turned out to be utterly shithouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compounded by him scoring one of the best opposition goals seen at the Amex when he played for Blackpool (?)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
May have been a couple of days before the deadline, but in 2016 the answer to your question was Shane Duffy in many people eyes

£4M for a 4th choice CB with an attitude problem. Utterly ridiculous. I'd sooner have White and Ince as cover than this complete waster.

Have you all added an m after the figure by mistake? There is no way he is worth anything like a million pound especially if Uwe is nearly back I would say about £750k top whack. Tommy Elphick went to Villa for alleged £3m and he is not half the player Tommy is about the same standard as his brother Gary.

Very odd potential signing unless Dunk is off or Goldson going to be out for 2-3 months longer.

Effectively spending 4M + 20K a week for someone to be on the bench.

Jimmy Grimble

May have been a couple of days before the deadline, but in 2016 the answer to your question was Shane Duffy in many people eyes

:lolol: Excellent work. Of course BG is in there!

el punal

Iirc Shane McFaul also arrived on deadline day.

That was then, this is now. The club seem to have to got the players they’re after quite early so no complaints there, in fact more time for them to settle in before the season kicks off. As for the then, who would really have wanted to join little ol’ Brighton, broke and playing in an unsuitable athletics ground.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lolol: Excellent work. Of course BG is in there!

Now he's worth more than Dunk.

For someone who's #NeverWrong he does make a aweful lot of snaffoos.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005

Yep, I called that one spot on as always. :facepalm:
Happy to eat some humble pie, it pisses me off more when it's the other way around.
And today I'm scared he may leave for ten times that figure, shows where the market has gone in a comparatively short time frame. Genuinely didn't rate him at the time and now he's like a god to me! Am hoping Webster can prove the same.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here