Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] The best games Console of its time

Urb

Jul 9, 2019
Horsham
I was lucky enough to have some games consoles during my childhood. But for me the best was CBS Colleco Vision. 1982 I think. Way ahead of its time!

What was yours ?and why?

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
For me, the most underrated/hard-done-by console of all time is Sega's Dreamcast. Loads of amazing games, great graphics for the time, and way ahead of its time with stuff like online play. Deserved to be a much bigger success than it was.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
For me, the most underrated/hard-done-by console of all time is Sega's Dreamcast. Loads of amazing games, great graphics for the time, and way ahead of its time with stuff like online play. Deserved to be a much bigger success than it was.
If we are limited to just consoles then this. Followed by the PS2 and 360. Widen it out then C64.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
technically speaking, the PS3. it was immense with the parallel processing capabilities of the Cell CPU.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Megadrive.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
PS1 was the console I most went 'wow' about when I got it. For expanding the market to non-game players it's got to be the Wii though.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
This on this console.

Shenmue-eur-dc-coverart.jpg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
the best was CBS Colleco Vision.

I wasn't expecting that when I opened the thread. :lol:

That was something I could only stare in awe at in the argos catalogue. Never even played one round a friends, didn't know anyone who had one.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

yeah, my mate had that and it was incredible. So many great games and it was a real step up. Never understood why it wasn't a massive success.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Many different standout candidates...

The Wii for revolutionising motion controls. Accessible games for the whole family.

The PS2 for arguably bringing gaming to the mainstream, sold a record 159M units. Competed with Xbox and the GameCube, two very good consoles in their own right with excellent exclusive games on each.

But my winner is the N64. My childhood memories are playing on this console. Has a very good library of games. Goldeneye N64 was the first FPS games where you could use dual analogue sticks, look at how many FPS games follow that formula. Super Mario 64 made 3D platforming what it is today. The controller was awkwardly shaped, but the console had 4 controller slots for multiplayer games. I’ve got many fond memories of playing N64 split screen.

I think the current generation of consoles are amazing too. The technology packed into the Switch, the processing power of the Xbox and the interface of the PS4 are all excellent.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
The Sega Game Gear was wicked when that came out. It was such a massive step up from the Game Boy, or do handhelds not count? I loved my N64 as well.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
Agree with N64, but also SNES was a belter.

I've got to shout out the Nintento Switch as well which I've really enjoyed, having not played games for a long time.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
The Sega Game Gear was wicked when that came out. It was such a massive step up from the Game Boy, or do handhelds not count? I loved my N64 as well.

Yet people still view the Game Boy as Iconic and the best, the Game Gear was chunky and heavy I had both and I don't revere the Game Gear like I do the Game Boy.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

GREAT official magazine too. :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here